This paper proposes a Yagi-Uda antenna array realized on a Silicon substrate and supported by a substrate integrated waveguide for multi-band operation in the K and Ka bands. The structure of the dipole and the first director of the Yagi-Uda antenna were modified and tuned for multi-band response, making it completely novel in comparison to the existing Yagi-Uda structures supporting multi-band operation. As the feed, a substrate integrated waveguide was designed to assist with multi-band operation and to overcome the challenges presented by the Silicon substrate. An array is implemented to improve the gain. The antenna array's prototype was constructed and tested to back up the claims. The proposed array operates at frequencies of 23.7, 26.3, 27.5-28.3, and 29.4 GHz. The array exhibits good end-fire radiation patterns for the resonant frequencies, with a peak gain of 19.65 dBi and an efficiency of 89.8% at 23.7 GHz. This is the first report of an antenna fed by a substrate integrated waveguide and realized on Silicon with a high gain and applications in the K and Ka bands.
2. Arceo, D. and C. A. Balanis, "A compact Yagi-Uda antenna with enhanced bandwidth," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, No. 1, 44-445, 2011.
3. Lim, S. and H. Ling, "Design of a planar, closely spaced Yagi antenna," IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. AP-S Int. Symp., Vol. 5, 5997-6000, 2007.
4. Kramer, O., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "Vertically multilayer-stacked yagi antenna with single and dual polarizations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 102-1030, 2010.
5. Wu, S. J., C. H. Kang, K. H. Chen, and J. H. Tarng, "A multiband quasi-yagi type antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 2, 593-596, 2010.
6. Ding, Y., Y. C. Jiao, P. Fei, B. Li, and Q. T. Zhang, "Design of a multiband Quasi-Yagi-type antenna with CPW-to-CPS transition," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1120-1123, 2011.
7. Cheong, P., K. Wu, W. W. Choi, and K. W. Tam, "Yagi-uda antenna for multiband radar applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1065-1068, 2014.
8. Zhao, T., Y. Xiong, , X. Yu, H. Chen, M. He, L. Ji, X. Zhang, X. Zhao, H. Yue, and F. Hu, "A broadband planar Quasi-Yagi antenna with a modified bow-tie driver for multi-band 3G/4G applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 71, 59-67, 2017.
9. Deng, Y., F. Zhu, B. Li, J. Zhang, and Z. Zhou, "Design of a compact W-band planar dipole antenna on a single silicon substrate," 2019 Int. Conf. Microw. Millim. Wave Technol. ICMMT 2019 --- Proc., Vol. 128, 2019-2021, 2019.
10. Zou, X., C. M. Tong, J. S. Bao, and W. J. Pang, "SIW-fed Yagi antenna and its application on monopulse antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1035-1038, 2014.
11. Deng, X. D., Y. Li, C. Liu, W. Wu, and Y. Z. Xiong, "340 GHz on-chip 3-D antenna with 10 dBi gain and 80% radiation efficiency," IEEE Trans. Terahertz Sci. Technol., Vol. 5, No. 4, 619-627, 2015.
12. Deng, X. D., Y. Li, W. Wu, and Y. Z. Xiong, "340-GHz SIW cavity-backed magnetic rectangular slot loop antennas and arrays in silicon technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 12, 5272-5279, 2015.
13. Xu, Y. and Q. Zhaojun, "Research on interference test of 24 GHz millimeter wave radar to 5G equipment," J. Phys. Conf. Ser., Vol. 1584, No. 1, 2020.
14. Shayea, I., T. Abd Rahman, M. Hadri Azmi, and M. R. Islam, "Real measurement study for rain rate and rain attenuation conducted over 26 GHz microwave 5G link system in Malaysia," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 19044-19064, 2018.
15. Rappaport, T. S., S. Sun, R. Mayzus, H. Zhao, Y. Azar, K. Wang, G. N. Wong, J. K. Schulz, M. Samimi, and F. Gutierrez, "Millimeter wave mobile communications for 5G cellular: It will work!," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 335-349, 2013.
16. Djera, T., A. Doghri, and K. Wu, Handbook of Antenna Technologies, Springer Science+Business Media, Singapore, 2016.
17. Wu, K., D. Deslandes, and Y. Cassivi, "The substrate integrated circuits --- A new concept for high-frequency electronics and optoelectronics," 6th Int. Conf. Telecommun. Mod. Satell. Cable Broadcast. Serv. TELSIKS 2003 --- Proc., Vol. 1, 2003.
18. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2005.
19. Deslandes, D., "Design equations for tapered microstrip-to-Substrate Integrated Waveguide transitions," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., Vol. 128, 704-707, 2010.
20. Jamaluddin, M. H., M. K. A. Rahim, M. Z. A. A. Aziz, and A. Asrokin, "Microstrip dipole antenna analysis with different width and length at 2.4 GHz," 2005 Asia-Pacific Conf. Appl. Electromagn. APACE 2005 --- Proc., Vol. 2005, 41-44, 2005.
21. Dadgarpour, A., B. Zarghooni, B. S. Virdee, and T. A. Denidni, "High-gain end-fire bow-tie antenna using artificial dielectric layers," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, No. 12, 1254-1259, 2015.