In this paper, the design of an Ultra Wide Band (UWB) hemispherical antenna with Log-Periodic Elements (LPEs) capable of operating at multiple resonating frequencies lying in L, S, C, X, and Ku frequency bands is presented. The design consists of a complex structure of silver hemisphere with LPE mounted on an FR-4 substrate fed by a 50 Ω microstrip line. The dependency of the inclination of log-periodic elements mounted on the hemisphere is analyzed with parametric study. The proposed miniaturized antenna uses LPEs to obtain an impedance bandwidth of above 100% and a multi-directional radiation pattern. The measured results show that a wide operating band of 12.63 GHz (1.68 GHz-14.31 GHz) (8.52:1) has been achieved with a multi-directional radiation pattern with a peak realized gain of 8.12 dBi.
2. Tang, M., X. Chen, M. Li, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Particle swarm optimized, 3-D-printed, wideband, compact hemispherical antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 11, 2031-2035, Nov. 2018.
3. Chen, J., J. Ludwig, and S. Lim, "Design of a compact log-periodic dipole array using T-shaped top loadings," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1585-1588, 2017.
4. Bozdag, G. and A. Kustepeli, "Subsectional tapered fed printed LPDA antenna with a feeding point patch," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 437-440, 2016.
5. Zhou, Y., J. Huang, W. Wu, and N. Yuan, "Conformal LPDA antenna array for direction finding application," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 2016.
6. Deng, C., Y. Li, Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "A hemispherical 3-D null steering antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 803-806, 2015.
7. Hui, H. T., K. N. Yung, C. L. Law, Y. S. Koh, and W. L. Koh, "Design of small and low prole 2/spl times/2 hemispherical helical antenna array for mobile satellite communication," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 1, 346-348, Jan. 2004.
8. Goossens, R., I. Bogaert, and H. Rogier, "Phase-mode processing for spherical antenna arrays with a finite number of antenna elements and including mutual coupling," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3783-3790, Dec. 2009.
9. Braaten, B. D., S. Roy, I. Irfanullah, S. Nariyal, and D. E. Anagnostou, "Phase-compensated conformal antennas for changing spherical surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1880-1887, Apr. 2014.
10. Franek, O., G. F. Pedersen, and J. B. Andersen, "Numerical modeling of a spherical array of monopoles using FDTD method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 7, 1952-1963, Jul. 2006.
11. Baee, R. K., K. Forooraghi, and S. Chamaani, "Conformal array pattern synthesis using a hybrid WARP/2LB-MOPSO algorithm," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, 2012.
12. Meiguni, J. and D. Pommerenke, "Theory and experiment of UWB archimedean conformal spiral antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 10, 6371-6377, Oct. 2019.
13. Zhang, B., J. Kovitz, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A hemispherical monopole rectenna array for multi- directional, multi-polarization and multi-band ambient RF energy harvesting," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 603-604, Fajardo, 2016.
14. Famoriji, O. J., K. Akingbade, E. Ogunti, W. Apena, A. Fadamiro, and F. Lin, "Analysis of phased array antenna system via spherical harmonics decomposition," IET Communication, Vol. 13, No. 18, 5434-5454, Dec. 2019.
15. Howell, J. Q., "Microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, 90-93, Jan. 1975.
16. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artrech House, Norwood, Mass, 2001.
17. Isbell, D. E., "Log periodic dipole arrays," IRE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 8, 260-267, May 1960.
18. Patel, M., V. S. Jadaun, K. Lal, and P. Kuchhal, "Design of a high gain compact circular microstrip patch antenna for X-band," International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 2.6, 168-170, 2018.
19. Lo, Y. T. and S. W. Lee, Antenna Handbook: Theory, Applications, and Design, Springer Science & Business Media, 2013.
20. Monticone, L. C., R. E. Snow, and F. Box, "Minimizing great-circle distance ratios of undesired and desired signal paths on a spherical earth," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 58, No. 9, 4868-4877, Nov. 2009.
21. DuHamel, R. H. and D. E. Isbell, "Broadband logarithmically periodic antenna structures," IRE National Convention Record, Pt. 1, 119-128, 1957.
22. Dhanush Gowda, E. and V. Nuthan Prasad, "Design of log-periodic monopole array patch antenna for UWB applications using alphabetic slots on partial ground plane," 2020 IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (CONECCT), 1-5, 2020.