This proposal presents a novel design of a reconfigurable antenna with frequency, polarization, and pattern diversities for wireless body area networks. The design makes use of a 3.2 mm thick FR4 substrate of 39X36 mm2 dimensions with a square patch and partial ground structure. The antenna operates in sixteen different modes and resonates at various frequencies ranging from 2.456 to 14.384 GHz. The proposed model has the capability to exhibit elliptical as well as linear polarization with different radiation patterns. For suitability of the proposed design in healthcare applications its SAR analysis has been performed along with other antenna characteristics like reflection coefficient, gain, radiation pattern, and axial ratio. Four PIN diodes have been used to switch the antenna operational modes.
2. Costantine, J., Y. Tawk, S. E. Barbin, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable antennas: Design and applications," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 3, 2015.
3. Guo, Y. J. and P.-Y. Qin, "Reconfigurable antennas for wireless communicationse," Handb. Antenna Technol., Springer, Singapore, 2016.
4. Cicchetti, R., E. Miozzi, and O. Testa, "Wideband and UWB antennas for wireless applications: A comprehensive review," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Article ID 2390808, 2017.
5. Wang, Z., E. G. Lim, and X. Chen, "Study the ground plane effect of a multiband antenna for multiple wireless communication systems," Procedia Eng., Vol. 15, 2011.
6. Rao Sathuluri, M. and G. Sasikala, "Reconfigurable antenna using RF MEMS switches issues and challenges: A survey," Adv. Smart Syst. Technol. Adv. Intell. Syst. Comput., Vol. 1163, Springer, Singapore, 2021.
7. Satish Reddy, H. V. K., K. Praveen Kumar, and P. Bhaskara Reddy, "Novel frequency reconfigurable slotted patch antenna: Design and analysis," Procedia Mater. Sci., Vol. 10, 2015.
8. Ge, L. and K.-M. Luk, "A band-reconfigurable antenna based on directed dipole," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 1, 64-71, 2014.
9. Deepali, S. B. P. and K. Borakhade, "Pentagon slot resonator frequency reconfigurable antenna for wideband reconfiguration," Int. J. Electron Commun., Vol. 69, No. 10, 1562-1568, 2015.
10. Kumar, A. and N. Prema, "Design of multiband microstrip patch antenna for C and X band," Opt. Int. J. Light Electron Opt., Vol. 127, No. 20, 8812-8818, 2016.
11. Ali, T., M. M. Khaleeq, and R. C. Biradar, "A multiband reconfigurable slot antenna for wireless applications," Int. J. Electron. Commun., 84, 2017.
12. Bharathi, A., M. Lakshminarayana, and P. V. D. Somasekhar Rao, "A quad-polarization and frequency reconfigurable square ring slot loaded microstrip patch antenna for WLAN applications," Int. J. Electron. Commun., 78, 2017.
13. Sung, Y., "Dual-band reconfigurable antenna for polarization diversity," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Article ID 6878607, 2018.
14. Chattha, H. T., M. Hanif, X. Yang, I. E. Rana, and Q. H. Abbasi, "Frequency reconfigurable patch antenna for 4G LTE applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 69, 1-13, 2018.
15. Al-Yasir, Y. I. A., A. S. Abdullah, N. O. Parchin, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J. M. Noras, "A new polarization-reconfigurable antenna for 5G applications," Electron., Vol. 7, No. 11, 2018.
16. Al-Yasir, Y. I. A., "A new polarization-reconfigurable antenna for 5G wireless communications," Springer Nat. Switz. AG, 2019.
17. Zadehparizi, F. and S. Jam, "Design of frequency reconfigurable patch antennas with defected ground structures using genetic algorithm," Iran. J. Sci. Technol. Trans. Electr. Eng., Vol. 42, No. 4, 2018.
18. Sigamani Annamary, A. J. and N. Velmurugan, "Dual feed pattern reconfigurable antenna for wireless applications," Wirel. Pers. Commun., Vol. 99, No. 2, 829-837, 2018.
19. Yang, L. S., L. Yang, Y. A. Zhu, K. Yoshitomi, and H. Kanaya, "Polarization reconfigurable slot antenna for 5.8 GHz wireless applications," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 101, 27-32, 2019.
20. Doae El Hadria, A. Z. and A. Zakritia, "Reconfigurable antenna for Wi-Fi and 5G applications," Sci. Direct Procedia Manuf., 46, 2020.
21. Parchin, N. O., Y. Al-Yasir, A. M. Abdulkhaleq, I. Elfergani, A. Rayit, J. M. Noras, J. Rodriguez, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "Frequency reconfigurable antenna array for mm-wave 5G mobile handsets," Springer Nat. Switz. AG, 438-445, 2019.
22. Rajak, N., N. Chattoraj, and R. Mark, "Metamaterial cell inspired high gain multiband antenna for wireless applications," Int. J. Electron. Commun., 109, 2019.
23. Kanagasabai, A. S. M., P. Sambandam, G. N. A. Mohammed, N. M. Dinesh, M. S. Morais, A. Viswanathan, and S. K. Palaniswamy, "On the design of frequency reconfigurable tri-band miniaturized antenna for WBAN applications," Int. J. Electron. Commun., 127, 2020.
24. Anuradha, S. L. L. and A. Palsokar, "Frequency and pattern reconfigurable rectangular patch antenna using single PIN diode," Int. J. Electron. Commun., 125, 2020.
25. Amarnatha Sarma, Ch., S. Inthiyaz, and B. T. P. Madhav, "Frequency reconfigurable elliptical microstrip patch antenna using resonator, partial removal in the ground, and PIN diode for L and C band applications," J. Phys. Conf. Ser., Vol. 1804, No. 1, 012183, 2021.
26. Mabrouk, A. M. and A. A. Ibrahim, "Reconfigurable antenna with frequency and beam switching using transformer oil and PIN-diode for microwave applications," Alexandria Eng. J., 2021.
27. Abbas, S. M., Y. Ranga, and K. P. Esselle, "Reconfigurable antenna options for 2.45/5 GHz wireless body area networks in healthcare applications," 2015 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Milan, Italy, 2015.
28. Kiani, S., P. Rezaei, and M. Fakhr, "A CPW-fed wearable antenna at ISM band for biomedical and WBAN applications," Wirel. Networks, Vol. 27, No. 1, 735-745, 2021.
29. Jais, M. I., M. F. B. Jamlos, M. Jusoh, T. Sabapathy, M. R. Kamarudin, R. B. Ahmad, A. H. Azremi, E. I. Bin Azmi, P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Van, "A novel 2.45 GHz Switchable Beam Textile Antenna (SBTA) for outdoor Wireless Body Area Network (WBAN) applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 613-627, 2013.
30. Loubna, E. A., T. Mazri, and N. Hmina, "Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) in human body exposed to wireless base station fields," International Conference Electronics, Computers and Artificial Intelligence, Targoviste, Romania, 2017.
31. Mohamadzade, B., R. B. V. B. Simorangkir, R. M. Hashmi, and S. Shrestha, "Low-profile pattern reconfigurable antenna for wireless body area networks," 2019 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 2019.
32., "BAR-50 series infineon PIN diode datsheet,", https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-BAR50SERIES-DS-v01 01-en.pdf?fileId=db3a304314dca3890114fea7dd410a92.
33. Wong, H., W. Lin, L. Huitema, and E. Arnaud, "Multi-polarization reconfigurable antenna for wireless biomedical system," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Circuits Syst., Vol. 11, No. 3, 652-660, 2017.
34. Kang, S. and C. W. Jung, "earable fabric antenna on upper arm for MedRadio band applications with reconfigurable beam capability," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 17, 1314-1316, 2015.
35., "Calculation of the dielectric properties of body tissues in the frequency range 10 Hz-100 GHz,", Italian National Research Council.
36. S. B.-C. Ghaffar A, Li XJ, Awan WA, Nazeri AH, and Hussain N, "Compact multiband multimode frequency reconfigurable antenna for heterogeneous wireless applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., 2021.
37. Parchin, N. O., H. Jahanbakhsh, Y. I. A. Al-Yasir, A. M. Abdulkhaleq, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "Reconfigurable antennas: Switching techniques --- A survey," Electron., Vol. 9, No. 2, 336, 2020.