Cross polarization (X-pol) effect is the undesired radiation of an antenna which wastes bandwidth (BW) and power of the communication system. Especially in the miniaturized microstrip antenna (MSA) the X-pol level is more. The observed X-pol level of the classical MSA at the direction of maximum radiation (φ =0˚) is -49.72 dB, whereas X-pol level of miniaturized H shaped MSA (MHMSA) is -39.96 dB. This paper presents miniaturized complementary split ring resonators loaded H shaped microstrip antenna (CSRR-MHMSA) and slots and CSRRs loaded MHMSA (S-CSRR-MHMSA) with reduced X-pol level. An array of CSRRs and slots are placed at the ground of the proposed antenna. Due to slots, the antenna is miniaturized and the polarizability of the electric field along the desired direction is increased by CSRRs. The CP-XP (Co-pol X-pol) isolation of CSRR-MHMSA and S-CSRR-MHMSA at φ =0˚ are measured. The measured E plane CP-XP isolation for CSRR-MHMSA and S-CSRR-MHMSA is 29.00 dB and 26.73 dB respectively. The measured CP-XP H plane isolation for CSRR-MHMSA and S-CSRR-MHMSA is 27.00 dB and 24.5 dB, respectively. While bandwidth (BW), gain G and radiation efficiency η are improved.
2. Hansen, R., "Cross polarization of microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 6, 731-732, 1987.
3. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2015.
4. Tienda, C., M. Younis, and G. Krieger, "Reduction of cross-polarization on a single offset parabolic re ector using digital beam forming techniques and combination of elements," Proceedings of EUSAR 2016: 11th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 1-3, VDE, 2016.
5. Chopra, R., G. Kumar, and R. Lakhmani, "Corner fed microstrip antenna array with reduced cross polarization and side lobe level," 2016 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-4, IEEE, 2016.
6. Chin, C., Q. Xue, H. Wong, and X. Zhang, "Broadband patch antenna with low cross-polarisation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 3, 137-138, 2007.
7. Chen, X., D. Wu, L. Yang, and G. Fu, "Compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna with cross-polarization suppression at low-elevation angle," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 258-261, 2016.
8. Kumar, J., B. Basu, F. A. Talukdar, and A. Nandi, "Multimode-inspired low cross-polarization multiband antenna fabricated using graphene-based conductive ink," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 10, 1861-1865, 2018.
9. Ghosh, C. K. and S. K. Parui, "Cross-polarization reduction of e-shaped microstrip array using spiral-ring resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 38, 217-227, 2013.
10. Manikandan, R. and P. K. Jawahar, "Cross polarization reduction of circularly polarized microstrip antenna with SRR," International Journal of Control Theory and Applications, International Science Press, Vol. 10, No. 9, 613-618, 2017.
11. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
12. Mulla, S. S. and S. S. Deshpande, "Miniaturization of multiband annular slot ring antenna using reactive loading," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 32, No. 14, 1779-1790, 2018.
13. Marqués, R., F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design, and Microwave Applications, Vol. 183, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
14. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. J. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
15. Kumar, J., B. Basu, and F. Talukdar, "Modeling of a PIN diode RF switch for reconfigurable antenna application," Scientia Iranica, Vol. 26, No. 3, 1714-1723, 2019.