In this paper, a Q-band GaAs low noise amplifier (LNA) for satellite communications is presented. The LNA is designed using common-source (CS) topology, self-biased configuration and current-reused technology. Simultaneous noise and input matching are achieved by employing source series inductance. The current-reused LNA is fabricated in a 90 nm GaAs pseudomorphic high electron mobility transistor (pHEMT) process. On-wafer measurement results show that the LNA features a small-signal gain of 23.8~24.5 dB, noise figure (NF) of 2~2.1 dB, and output 1-dB compression point (OP1 dB) of 6.6~8 dBm over 36~42 GHz, while consuming 10.9 mA with a supply voltage of 5 V. The chip size is 1.6×0.8 mm2 including all RF and dc pads.
2. Varonen, M., et al., "An MMIC low-noise amplifier design technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 64, No. 3, 826-835, Mar. 2016.
3. Sarkar, M., P. Banerjee, and A. Majumder, "Design of broadband MMIC low noise amplifier at W band using GaAs pHEMTs," 2017 International Conference on Innovations in Electronics, Signal Processing and Communication (IESC), 194-198, Shillong, 2017.
4. Khan, M., et al., "Ka-band GaAs MMIC LNA using a 0.15 μm metamorphic InGaAs," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-4, Shanghai, China, 2016.
5. Moezzi, M. and M. Sharif Bakhtiar, "Wideband LNA using active inductor with multiple feed-forward noise reduction paths," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1069-1078, Apr. 2012.
6. Colangeli, S., W. Ciccognani, M. Vittori, M. Palomba, and E. Limiti, "A novel current-reuse architecture demonstrated on a two-stage GaN-on-SiC LNA," 2017 IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 634-637, Kuala Lumpar, 2017.
7. Jussila, J. and P. Sivonen, "A 1.2-V highly linear balanced noise-cancelling LNA in 0.13-μm CMOS," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 43, No. 3, 579-587, Mar. 2008.
8. Uzunkol, M. and G. M. Rebeiz, "A 65GHz LNA/phase shifter with 4.3 dB NF using 45 nm CMOS SOI," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 10, 530-532, Oct. 2012.
9. Khoshroo, P., M. Elmi, and H. M. Naimi, "A low-power current-reuse resistive-feedback LNA in 90 nm CMOS," 2016 24th Iranian Conf on Electrical Engineering (ICEE), 917-920, Shiraz, 2016.
10. Kong, S., H. D. Lee, M. Lee, and B. Park, "A V-band current-reused LNA with a double-transformer-coupling technique," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 11, 942-944.
11. Hsieh, H. and L. Lu, "Design of ultra-low-voltage RF frontends with complementary current-reused architectures," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1445-1458, Jul. 2007.
12. Noh, N. M., A. Hashim, K. Y. Tan, and Y. Y. Tan, "Design and analysis of the current reuse technique and folded cascode power con-strained simultaneous noise and input matching LNAs with distributed and lumped parasitic," 2010 IEEE Asia Pacific Conf on Circuits and Systems, 292-295, Kuala Lumpur, 2010.
13. Yang, C., W. Hsieh, and Y. Chiang, "A fully integrated and high linearity UWB LNA implemented with current-reused technique and using single-biasing voltage," 2007 European Conf on Wireless Technologies, 94-97, Munich, 2007.
14. Hu, J. and K. Ma, "A 0.1–52-GHz triple cascode amplifier with resistive feedback," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 8, 538-540, Aug. 2019.
15. Ismail, A. and A. A. Abidi, "A 3–10-GHz low-noise amplifier with wideband LC-ladder matching network," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 39, No. 12, 2269-2277, Dec. 2004.
16. Meng, C. and Y. Hsiao, "Design optimization of inductively source-degenerated FET LNAs using noise transformation matrix (invited talk)," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology (RFIT), 1-3, Taipei, Taiwan, 2016.
17. Ma, P., M. Racanelli, J. Zheng, and M. Knight, "A novel bipolar-MOSFET low-noise amplifier (BiFET LNA), circuit configuration, design methodology, and chip implementation," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 11, 2175-2180, Nov. 2003.
18. Shaeffer, D. K. and T. H. Lee, "A 1.5-V, 1.5-GHz CMOS low noise amplifier," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 32, No. 5, 745-759, May 1997.
19. Nikandish, G. and A. Medi, "Transformer-feedback interstage bandwidth enhancement for MMIC multistage amplifiers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 63, No. 2, 441-448, Feb. 2015.
20. Feng, C., X. P. Yu, W. M. Lim, and K. S. Yeo, "A compact 2.1–39 GHz self-biased low-noise amplifier in 65 nm CMOS technology," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 12, 662-664, Dec. 2013.
21. Wei, M. D., S. F. Chang, and R. Negra, "Triple cascaded current-reuse low noise amplifier," Analog Integr. Circ. Sig. Process., Vol. 80, 327-333, 2014.
22. Xie, H., Y. J. Cheng, and Y. Fan, "A K-band high interference-rejection GaAs low-noise amplifier using multizero control method for satellite communication," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 11, 1069-1072, Nov. 2020.
23. Parveg, D., M. Varonen, and M. Kantanen, "A full Ka-band GaN-on-Si low-noise amplifier," 2020 50th EuMC, 1015-1018, Utrecht, Netherlands, 2021.
24. Chen, Z., H. Gao, D. Leenaerts, D. Milosevic, and P. Baltus, "A 29–37 GHz BiCMOS low-noise amplifier with 28.5 dB peak gain and 3.1–4.1 dB NF," 2018 IEEE RFIC, 288-291, Philadelphia, PA, USA, 2018.
25. Polli, G., et al., "Ka-/V-band self-biased LNAs in 70 nm GaAs/InGaAs technology," 2018 14th PRIME, 197-200, Prague, Czech Republic, 2018.
26. Wang, Z., et al., "A Q-band self-biased LNA in 0.1-μm GaAs pHEMT technology," 2019 12th UCMMT, 1-4, London, United Kingdom, 2019.
27. Park, J., et al., "A Ka-band low noise amplifier in 0.15 μm GaAs E-mode pHEMT technology," 2018 ISOCC, 255-256, Daegu, Korea (South), 2018.