The use of invasive weeds optimization in the synthesis of antenna arrays has become popular in the last few years. This optimization method is robust, simple and can be easily improved. Like other stochastic algorithms, IWO suffers from premature convergence and other drawbacks. To overcome these problems, a dynamic IWO is proposed and used for synthesizing two antenna array topologies (linear and circular array). This proposed method tries to achieve an optimal array pattern by acting on the amplitude excitation of elements in the non-uniform circular array and their positions on the array to obtain an array pattern with deep nulls in some directions of interferences and low side lobe level. For the linear array, the nulls control can be achieved by acting on the relative amplitude excitation of each element in the array for an optimal inter-element spacing. This proposed method improves the performance greatly and allows to achieve a maximum reduction in side lobe level in band Nulls with an acceptable dynamic range ratio (DRR). To show the performance of the proposed method, for each topology, our results are compared to other results of the literature.
2. Rahman, S. U., Q. Cao, M. M. Ahmed, and H. Khalil, "Analysis of linear antenna array for minimum side lobe level, half power beamwidth, and nulls control using PSO," J. Microwaves, Optoelectron. Electromagn., Vol. 16, No. 2, 577-591, 2017.
3. Bai, J., Y. Liu, J. Cheng, P. You, and Q. Liu, "Shaped power pattern antenna array synthesis with reduction of dynamic range ratio," 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), 2444-2447, Shanghai, China, Aug. 8–11, 2016.
4. Battaglia, G. M., G. G. Bellizzi, A. F. Morabito, G. Sorbello, and T. Isernia, "A general effective approach to the synthesis of shaped beams for arbitrary fixed-geometry arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 18, 2404-2422, 2019.
5. Buttazzoni, G., F. Babich, F. Vatta, and M. Comisso, "Geometrical synthesis of sparse antenna arrays using compressive sensing for 5G IoT applications," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 350, 1-16, 2020.
6. Rocca, P., M. Donelli, G. Oliveri, F. Viani, and A. Massa, "Reconfigurable sum-difference pattern by means of parasitic elements for forward-looking monopulse radar," IET Radar, Sonar Navig., Vol. 7, No. 7, 747-754, 2013.
7. Slowik, A. and H. Kwasnicka, "Evolutionary algorithms and their applications to engineering problems," Neural. Comput. Appl., Vol. 32, No. 16, 12363-12379, 2020.
8. Singh, U. and M. Rattan, "Design of linear and circular antenna arrays using cuckoo optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 1-11, 2014.
9. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, A. Lommi, and A. Massa, "Location and imaging of two-dimensional scatterers by using a particle swarm algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 4, 481-494, 2004.
10. Saxena, P. and A. Kothari, "Optimal pattern synthesis of linear antenna array using grey wolf optimization algorithm," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2016, 1-11, 2016.
11. Donelli, M. and P. Febvre, "An inexpensive reconfigurable planar array for Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012.
12. Donelli, M., T. Moriyama, and M. Manekiya, "A compact switched-beam planar antenna array for wireless sensors operating at Wi-Fi band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 83, 137-145, 2018.
13. Liang, S., Z. Fang, G. Sun, Y. Liu, G. Qu, and Y. Zhang, "Sidelobe reductions of antenna arrays via an improved chicken swarm optimization approach," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 37664-37683, 2020.
14. Bulatsyk, O. O. and N. N. Voitovich, "Complex zeros of solutions to the synthesisproblem of irregular linear antenna array by amplitude radiation pattern," 2017 XXIInd International Seminar/Workshop on Direct and Inverse Problems of Electromagnetic and AcousticWave Theory (DIPED), 14-19, 2017.
15. Shi, W., Y. Li, L. Zhao, and X. Liu, "Controllable sparse antenna array for adaptive beamforming," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 6412-6423, 2019.
16. Zeni, E., M. Donelli, A. Massa, G. Boato, and R. Azaro, "Design of a prefractal monopolar antenna for 3.4–3.6 GHz Wi-Max band portable devices," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 4, 116-119, 2006.
17. Mehrabian, A. R. and C. Lucas, "A novel numerical optimization algorithm inspired from weed colonization," Ecol. Inform., Vol. 1, No. 4, 355-366, 2006.
18. Goswami, B. and D. Mandal, "A genetic algorithm for the level control of nulls and side lobes in linear antenna arrays," J. King Saud Univ., Comp. & Info. Sci., Vol. 25, No. 2, 117-126, 2013.
19. Vescovo, R., "Reconfigurability and beam scanning with phase-only control for antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1555-1566, 2008.
20. Basak, A., S. Pal, S. Das, and A. Abraham, "Circular antenna array synthesis with a differential invasive weed optimization algorithm," Tenth International Conference on Hybrid Intelligent Systems, IEEE Conference, 153-158, USA, 2010.
21. Panduro, M. A., A. L. Mendez, R. Dominguez, and G. Romero, "Design of non-uniform circular antenna arrays for side lobe reduction using the method of genetic algorithms," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 60, No. 10, 713-717, 2006.
22. Mahto, S. K. and A. Choubey, "A novel hybrid IWO/WDO algorithm for nulling pattern synthesis of uniformly spaced linear and non-uniform circular array antenna," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 70, No. 6, 750-756, 2016.
23. Sharaqa, A. and N. I. Dib, "Circular antenna array synthesis using firefly algorithm," The International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 2, 139-146, 2013.
24. Das, A., D. Mandal, and R. Kar, "An optimal circular antenna array design considering mutual coupling using heuristic approaches," The International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 11, 2020.