In the gyrotron traveling wave amplifier (gyro-TWA), high loss dielectric materials loaded in a cylindrical waveguide are adopted to suppress the unwanted parasitic oscillations. It is of great importance to accurately understand the relative permittivity εr and tanδ for studying the microwave and millimeter wave dispersion, and loss properties of a specific mode. The high lossy dielectric loaded circuit of the gyro-TWAs made of the BeO-SiC ceramic with certain relative permittivity and loss tangent are theoretical calculated, simulated and measured. The field distribution, dispersion and loss properties of three different dielectric loaded circular HEd12, HEd22 and TEd02 modes (corresponding to the TE11, TE21 and TE01 modes in the smooth hollow cylindrical waveguide respectively) in different frequency bands are respectively investigated. The theoretical analysis, simulation, and measurement results have a good agreement. This work has clear guiding significance for the stable work of gyro-TWAs.
2. Garven, M., J. P. Calame, B. G. Danly, K. T. Nguyen, B. Levush, F. N. Wood, and D. E. Pershing, "A gyrotron-traveling-wave tube amplifier experiment with a ceramic loaded interaction region," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 30, No. 3, 885-893, Apr. 2002.
3. Du, C. H., T. H. Chang, P. K. Liu, Y. C. Huang, P. X. Jiang, S. X. Xu, Z. H. Geng, B. L. Hao, L. Xiao, G. F. Liu, Z. D. Li, and S. H. Shi, "Design of a W-band gyro-TWT amplifier with a lossy ceramic-loaded circuit," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 60, No. 7, 2388-2395, Jul. 2013.
4. Song, H. H., D. B. McDermott, Y. Hirata, L. R. Barnett, C.W. Domier, H. L. Hsu, T. H. Chang, W. C. Tsai, K. R. Chu, and N. C. Luhmann, "Theory and experiment of a 94 GHz gyrotron traveling-wave amplifier," Plys. Plasma, Vol. 11, No. 5, 2935-2941, May 2004.
5. Yan, R., Y. Luo, G. Liu, and Y. L. Pu, "Design and experiment of a Q-band gyro-TWT loaded with lossy dielectric," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3612-3617, Dec. 2012.
6. Yan, R., et al., "Investigation on high average power operations of gyro-TWTs with dielectric-Loaded waveguide circuits," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3012-3018, Jul. 2018.
7. He, W., C. R. Donaldson, L. Zhang, K. Ronald, P. McElhinney, and A. W. Cross, "High power wideband gyrotron backward wave oscillator operating towards the terahertz region," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 90, No. 25, 258-302, Jul. 2003.
8. Samsonov, S. V., et al., "Ka-band gyrotron travelling wave tube with the highest continuous wave and average power," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 61, No. 12, 4264-4267, Dec. 2014.
9. Samsonov, S. V., G. G. Denisov, I. G. Gachev, and A. A. Bogdashov, "CW operation of a W-band high-gain helical-waveguide gyrotron traveling-wave tube," IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 41, No. 5, 773-776, May 2020.
10. Rozental, M., et al., "CW multifrequency K-band source based on a helical-waveguide gyro-TWT with delayed feedback," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 68, No. 1, 330-335, Jan. 2021.
11. Kim, H. J., E. A. Nanni, M. A. Shapiro, J. R. Sirigiri, P. P. Woskov, and R. J. Temkin, "Amplification of picosecond pulses in a 140-GHz gyrotron-traveling wave tube," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 110, 165101-1-165101-5, Apr. 2013.
12. Nanni, E. A., S. M. Lewis, M. A. Shapiro, R. G. Griffin, and R. J. Temkin, "Photonic-band-gap traveling-wave gyrotron amplifier," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 111, 235101-1-235101-5, Dec. 2013.
13. Chu, K. R., et al., "Theory and experiment of ultrahigh-gain gyrotron traveling wave amplifier," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 27, No. 2, 391-404, Apr. 1999.
14. Yan, R., Y. Tang, and Y. Luo, "Design and experimental study of a high-gain W-Band gyro-TWT with nonuniform periodic dielectric loaded waveguide," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 61, No. 7, 2564-2569, Jul. 2014.
15. Yeh, Y. S., et al., "A study of a terahertz gyrotron traveling-wave amplifier," Plys. Plasma, Vol. 24, 103126, Oct. 2017.
16. Yeh, Y. S., C. L. Hung, T. H. Chang, Y. W. Guo, B. H. Kao, C. H. Chen, and Z. W. Wang, "Low-voltage harmonic multiplying gyrotron traveling-wave amplifier in G band," Plys. Plasma, Vol. 22, 123115, Dec. 2015.
17. Du, C. H., S. Pan, H. Q. Bian, and P. K. Liu, "Time-domain multimode analysis of a terahertz gyro-TWT amplifier," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 65, No. 4, 1550-1557, Apr. 2014.
18. Wang, J. X., Y. Luo, Y. Xu, R. Yan, Y. L. Pu, X. Deng, and H. Wang, "Simulation and experiment of a Ku-band gyro-TWT," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 61, No. 6, 1818-1823, Jun. 2014.
19. Tang, Y., Y. Luo, Y. Xu, R. Yan, W. Jiang, and Y. Zheng, "Design of a novel dual-band gyro-TWT," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 61, No. 11, 3858-3863, Nov. 2014.
20. Rao, W., L. Wang, Y. Wang, C. Fang, G. Liu, W. Jiang, J. X. Wang, Z. W. Wu, F. Y. Zhang, and Y. Luo, "Design of a high-gain X-band megawatt gyrotron traveling-wave tube," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 47, No. 6, 2818-2822, Jun. 2019.
21. Li, H., J. X. Wang, Y. L. Yao, and Y. Luo, "Development of high-efficiency gyro-TWT with a nonuniform dielectric-loaded circuit," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 66, No. 6, 2764-2770, Jun. 2019.
22. Li, Y., R. Yan, Y. L. Yao, Q. Q. Yue, X. W. Lin, W. X. Li, G. Liu, and Y. Luo, "Analysis of phase characteristics of gyrotron traveling-wave tubes," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 67, No. 5, 2170-2175, May 2020.
23. Harrington, R. F., Time Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1961.
24. Marcatili, E. A. J. and R. A. Schmeltzer, "Hollow metallic and dielectric waveguides for long distance optical transmission and lasers," Bell System Tech. J., 1783-1809, Jul. 1964.
25. Lee, C. S., S. W. Lee, and S. L. Chuang, "Normal modes in an overmoded circular waveguide coated with lossy material," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 34, No. 7, 773-785, Jul. 1986.
26. Du, C. H. and P. K. Liu, Millimeter-wave Gyrotron Traveling-wave Tube Ampliers, 1st Ed., 210, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2014.
27. Shcherbinin, V. I., et al., "HE and EH hybrid waves in a circular dielectric waveguide with an anisotropic impedance surface," Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Plasma Electronics and New Methods of Acceleration, Vol. 98, 89-93, 2015.
28. Shcherbinin, V. I., G. I. Zaginaylov, and V. I. Tkachenko, "Analogy between circular core-cladding and impedance waveguides and their membrane functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 53, 111-120, 2017.
29. Gholizadeh, M. and F. Hojjat Kashani, "A new analytical method for calculating the cutoff frequencies of an eccentrically dielectric-loaded circular waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 30, No. 5, 453-456, 2016.
30. Liu, G., et al., "Design and microwave measurement of a novel compact TE0n/TE1n mode converter," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 64, No. 12, 4108-4116, 2016.