A tri-band negative group delay (NGD) microwave circuit for multiband wireless applications is proposed and self-matched without the need for external matching networks. The frequency range can be influenced by the characteristic impedance of the microstrip lines. Under the condition that the microstrip circuit can be implemented with the common printed circuit board (PCB) fabrication technology, the frequency ratio of the highest NGD band to the lowest NGD band can vary between 3.8 and 10.9. For verification, a 1.2/3.5/5.8-GHz tri-band NGD circuit for Beidou B2, WiMax, and WLAN application is designed, fabricated, and measured. From the measured results, the NGD times are -1.08 ns, -1.19 ns, and -1.09 ns at three NGD central frequencies with insertion losses of 16.4 dB, 24.6 dB, and 18.9 dB, respectively. And the measured NGD bandwidths are 12.40% for the lower band, 8.60% for the center band, and 3.59% for the upper band, in which the return losses are greater than 16 dB.
2. Eudes, T. and B. Ravelo, "Cancellation of delays in the high-rate interconnects with UWB NGD active cells," Appl. Phys. Res., Vol. 3, No. 2, 81-88, Nov. 2011.
3. Ahn, K., R. Ishikawa, and K. Honjo, "Group delay equalized UWB InGaP/GaAs HBT MMIC amplifier using negative group delay circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2139-2147, Sept. 2009.
4. Ahn, K., R. Ishikawa, and K. Honjo, "Low noise group delay equalization technique for UWB InGaP/GaAs HBT LNA," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 7, 405-407, Jul. 2010.
5. Shao, T., Z. Wang, S. Fang, H. Liu, and Z. N. Chen, "A full-passband linear-phase band-pass filter equalized with negative group delay circuits," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 43336-43343, 2020.
6. Shao, T., Z. Wang, S. Fang, H. Liu, and Z. N. Chen, "A group-delay-compensation admittance inverter for full-passband self-equalization of linear-phase band-pass filter," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 123, Art. No. 153297, Aug. 2020.
7. Choi, H., Y. Jeong, C. D. Kim, and J. S. Kenney, "Efficiency enhancement of feedforward amplifiers by employing a negative Group-delay circuit," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1116-1125, May 2010.
8. He, L., W. Li, J. Hu, and Y. Xu, "A 24-GHz source-degenerated tunable delay shifter with negative group delay compensation," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 8, 687-689, Aug. 2018.
9. Lucyszyn, S., I. D. Robertson, and A. H. Aghvami, "Negative group delay synthesiser," Electron. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 9, 798-800, Apr. 1993.
10. Chaudhary, G., Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Miniaturized negative group delay circuit using defected microstrip structure and lumped elements," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1-3, Seattle, WA, USA, Jun. 2013.
11. Chaudhary, G. and Y. Jeong, "A design of compact wideband negative group delay network using cross coupling," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 11, 2612-2616, Nov. 2014.
12. Chaudhary, G. and Y. Jeong, "Negative group delay phenomenon analysis in power divider: Coupling matrix approach," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 7, No. 9, 1543-1551, Sept. 2017.
13. Ravelo, B., "Negative group-delay phenomenon analysis with distributed parallel interconnect line," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 58, No. 2, 573-580, Apr. 2016.
14. Chaudhary, G., Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Microstrip line negative group delay filters for microwave circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 62, No. 2, 234-243, Feb. 2014.
15. Wu, C. M. and T. Itoh, "Maximally flat negative group delay circuit: A microwave transversal filter approach," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 6, No. 6, 1330-1342, Jun. 2014.
16. Wang, Z., Y. Cao, T. Shao, S. Fang, and H. Liu, "A negative group delay microwave circuit based on signal interference techniques," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 4, 290-292, Apr. 2018.
17. Chaudhary, G. and Y. Jeong, "Arbitrary terminated negative group delay circuit using signal interference concept," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 30, No. 10, 1-7, Jun. 2020.
18. Kim, K. and C. Nguyen, "A SiGe BiCMOS concurrent K/V dual-band 16-way power divider and combiner," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I: Regul. Pap., Vol. 65, No. 6, 1850-1861, Jun. 2018.
19. Yang, G., S. Zhang, J. Li, Y. Zhang, and G. F. Pedersen, "A multi-band magneto-electric dipole antenna with wide beam-width," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 68820-68827, Apr. 2020.
20. Gomez-Garcıa, R., J. Rosario-De Jesus, and D. Psychogiou, "Multi-band bandpass and bandstop RF filtering couplers with dynamically-controlled bands," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 32321-32327, Jun. 2018.
21. Choi, H., Y. Jeong, J. Lim, S. Eom, and Y. Jung, "A novel design for a dual-band negative group delay circuit," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 1, 19-21, Jan. 2011.
22. Chaudhary, G., Y. Jeong, and J. Lim, "Miniaturized dual-band negative group delay circuit using dual-plane defected structures," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 8, 521-523, Aug. 2014.
23. Taher, H. and R. Farrell, "Dual wide-band miniaturized negative group delay circuit using open circuit stubs," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 2, 428-432, Jul. 2018.
24. Shao, T., S. Fang, Z. Wang, and H. Liu, "A compact dual-band negative group delay microwave circuit," Radioengineering, Vol. 27, No. 4, 1070-1076, Dec. 2018.
25. Shao, T., S. Fang, Z. Wang, H. Liu, and S. Fu, "A novel dual-band negative group delay microwave circuit," IEEE Radio Wirel. Symp. (RWS), 1-3, May 2019.
26. Meng, Y., Z. Wang, S. Fang, T. Shao, H. Liu, and Z. Chen, "Dual-band negative group delay microwave circuit with low signal attenuation and arbitrary frequency ratio," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 49908-49919, Mar. 2020.
27. Xiao, J. and Q. Wang, "Individually controllable tri-band negative group delay circuit using defected microstrip structure," Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Sci. Wirel. Technol. Conf., 1-3, Taiyuan, China, 2019.
28. Ravelo, B., "Resistive and distributed multiband NGD active circuit," URSI Asia-Pac. Radio Sci. Conf. (URSI AP-RASC), 1-4, South Korea, Aug. 2016.
29. Ravelo, B., "Innovative theory on multiband NGD topology based on feedback-loop power combiner," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II: Express Briefs, Vol. 63, No. 8, 738-742, Aug. 2016.