The main intention to present this work is to miniaturize and gain enhancement of a tapered microstrip patch antenna, which resonates for Global Positioning System (GPS) of L1 band at 1.575 GHz. To accomplish this, we present a new design configuration of a Tap-Shaped Defected Ground Structure (TSDGS). It has been utilized to switch the resonant frequency from 14.5 GHz to 1.575 GHz with no adjustment of areas of the actual Tapered Microstrip Patch Antenna (TMPA). The prototype antenna is fabricated on a Roger RT Duroid substrate merely 58 × 22 mm2. Conclusively, a miniaturization allowed up to 89.31%, with regard to the TMPA, is excellently accomplished. The gain of the proposed antenna is successfully enhanced with properly locating the metamaterial superstrate onto the basic patch antenna. A gain of 7 dBi improvement has been achieved. The proposed design process is done with two different solvers, ADS and HFSS.
2. Patel, N., J. Singh, and M. Tiwari, "Rectangular microstrip patch antenna for wireless communications at 6.5 GHz," International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol. 5, No. 3, March 2014, ISSN 2229-5518.
3. Khanna, G. and N. Sharma, "Fractal antenna geometries: A review," International Journal of Computer Applications (0975–8887), Vol. 153, No. 7, November 2016.
4. Borazjani, O., M. Naser-Moghadasi, J. Rashed-Mohassel, and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Design and fabrication of a new high gain multilayer negative refractive index metamaterial antenna for X-band applications," International Journal of RF and Microwaves Computer Aided Engineering, Wiley, April 26, 2020.
5. Soba, J., Chairunnisa, and A. Munir, Dual-band patch antenna incorporated with SRR for GPS and WLAN application, IEEE, 2017.
6. Raja Lakshmi, P. and N. Gunavathi, "Gain enhancement of cross shaped patch antenna for IEEE 802.11ax Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 80, 91-99, 2018.
7. Devi, K. A., C. H. Ng, C. F. Kwong, C. K. Chakrabarty, and N. Md. Din, "Investigations on characteristics of metamaterial based patch antenna for RF energy harvesting at GSM 900," Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 1A, 7-13, 2015.
8. Asadullah, G. M., M. R. Islam, M. S. Islam, and M. M. H. Mahfuz, "A circular equivalent planar array configuration for 5.8 GHz radar application," AIP Conference Proceedings, March 2020.
9. Kovacs, P. and T. Urbanec, Radio Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 1, April 2012.
10. Kumar, A. and S. Raghavan, "A review: Substrate integrated waveguide antennas and arrays," Journal of Telecommunication, Electronic and Computer Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 5, May–August 2016, ISSN: 2180-1843, e-ISSN: 2289.
11. Khandelwal, M. K., B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Kumar, "Defected ground structure: Fundamentals, analysis, and applications in modern wireless trends," Hindawi International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2017, 2017.
12. Kumar, A. and K. V. Machavaram, "Microstrip filter with defected ground structure: A close perspective," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 5, No. 5, 589-602, 2013.
13. Sibi Chakravarthy, S., N. Sarveshwaran, S. Sriharini, and M. Shanmugapriya, Comparative study on different feeding techniques of rectangular patch antenna, IEEE, 2016.
14. You, C., M. M. Tentzeris, and W. Hwang, "Multilayer effects on microstrip antennas for their integration with mechanical structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 4, April 2007.
15. Jose Alfredo, H., F. Iturbide, I. Garcia-Ruiz, V. Molina-Lopez, and R. Acevo-Herrera, "A Defected Microstrip Structure (DMS) behavior for reducing rectangular patch antenna size," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 43, No. 6, December 20, 2004.
16. Anwar, R. S., L. Mao, and H. Ning, "Frequency selective surfaces: A review," Applied Sciences, 2018.
17. Joshi, N. K. and P. A. Upadhye, "Microstrip patch antenna with W-shape slot using dual dielectric substrates," 2nd International Conference on Communication Engineering and Technology, 2019.
18. Karamchandani, S. H., S. Shubham, H. D. Mustafa, S. N. Merchant, and U. B. Desai, Dual band M-shaped UWB patch antenna for wireless body area networks, IEEE, 2011.
19. Meena, M. L. and M. Kumar, "Eight shape microstrip patch antenna with crescent slot for wide band applications," Conference Paper, September 2013.
20. Mishra, R. G., R. Mishra, P. Kuchhal, and N. Prasanthi Kumari, Performance enhancement of rectangular microstrip antenna by inserting notches and slits, January 2018.
21. Parkt, J.-S., J.-H. Kimt, J.-H. Leet, S.-H. Kimt, and S.-H. Myungtt, "A novel equivalent circuit and modeling method for defected ground structure and its application tooptimization of a DGS low pass filter," 2002 IEEE MTT-S Digest, 2002.
22. Kapoor, S. and D. Parkash, "Miniaturized triple band microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for wireless communication applications," International Journal of Computer Applications (0975–8887), Vol. 57, No. 7, November 2012.
23. Kapoor, S. and D. Parkash, "Microstrip patch antenna with SKEW-F shaped DGS for dual band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 19, 147-160, 2011.
24. Elftouh, H., N. A. Touhami, and M. Aghoutane, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 25-33, 2014.
25. Er-Rebyiy, R., J. Zbitou, M. Latrach, A. Tajmouati, A. Errkik, and L. El Abdellaoui, "New miniature planar microstrip antenna using DGS for ISM applications," TELKOMNIKA, Vol. 15, No. 3, 1149-1154, September 2017.
26. Ghaloua, A., J. Zbitou, L. El Abdellaoui, and M. Latrach, "A miniature circular patch antenna using defected ground structure for ISM band applications," ICCWCS’17, Larache, Morocco, November 14–16, 2017.
27. Er-Rebyiy, R., J. Zbitou, M. Latrach, A. Tajmouati, A. Errkik, and L. El Abdellaoui, "A novel design of a miniature low cost planar antenna for ISM band applications," ICCWCS’17, Larache, Morocco, November 14–16, 2017.
28. Mouhssine, A., Z. Doulfakar, R. Dakir, A. Erkkik, and M. Latrach, "A new compact and miniaturized CPW antenna with DGS and paper substrate for ISM band application," ICCWCS’17, Larache, Morocco, November 14–16, 2017.
29. Er-Rebyiy, R., J. Zbitou, A. Tajmouati, M. Latrach, A. Errkik, and L. El Abdellaoui, A new design of a miniature microstrip patch antenna using defected ground structure DGS, IEEE, 2017.
30. Suvarna, K., N. Ramamurthy, and D. V. Vardhan, "A miniature rectangular patch antenna using defected ground structure for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 95, 131-140, 2019.
31. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, 2002.
32. Chen, H. J., et al., "Experimental retrieval of the effective parameters of metamaterial based on a waveguide method," Optics Express, Vol. 14, No. 26, 2006.
33. Huang, Y. and K. Boyle, Antennas from Theory to Practice, A John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., Publication, 2008.
34. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas Dedham, Artech House, 1980.
35. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, 2005.
36. Guha, D. and Y. M. M. Antar, "Microstrip and Printed Antennas New Trends, Techniques and Applications," John Wiley Sons Ltd, 2011.