A segmented three-dimensional wire monopole antenna is proposed and optimized to operate in both the Wi-Fi and Wi-Max frequency bands (2.4-2.48 and 3.3-3.7 GHz). The fabrication of the antenna employs both three dimension printing and foundry techniques. The design occupies a total volume of 33.8 mm × 30.4 mm × 37.4 mm, which is equivalent to 0.28λ0 × 0.25λ0 × 0.30λ0, where λ0 is the central wavelength of the lower band. The measurements agree with the simulations and show that the antenna has a -10 dB impedance bandwidth of 7.53% (2.36 to 2.55 GHz) and 53.87% (2.78 to 4.43 GHz) and a measured -3 dB axial ratio bandwidth of 19.06% (3.18 to 3.85 GHz) for the second band. For the first band, simulations indicate that the polarization is elliptical. The radiation pattern is a near hemispherical coverage toward the upper hemisphere. The measured maximum gain values are 5.6 and 7.3 dB for the lower and upper bands, respectively. The simulated radiation efficiency is higher than 98%.
2. Sarma, A., S. Chakraborty, and S. Nandi, "Deciding handover points based on context-aware load balancing in a WiFi-WiMAX heterogeneous network environment," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 65, No. 1, 348-357, 2016.
3. Meier, R. C., K. Dettloff, and J. G. Waclawsky, System and method for integrated WiFi/WiMax neighbor AP discovery and AP advertisement, Google Patents, Feb. 12, 2013.
4. Wang, W., X. Liu, J. Vicente, and P. Mohapatra, "Integration gain of heterogeneous WiFi/WiMAX networks," IEEE Trans. Mob. Comput., Vol. 10, No. 8, 1131-1143, 2011.
5. Lin, H., Y. Lin, W. Chang, and R. Cheng, "An integrated WiMAX/WiFi architecture with QoS consistency over broadband wireless networks," 6th IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, 1-7, 2009.
6. Niyato, D. and E. Hossain, "Wireless broadband access: WIMAX and beyond — Integration of WiMAX and WiFi: Optimal pricing for bandwidth sharing," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 5, 140-146, 2007.
7. Haghighi, M., Z. Qin, D. Carboni, U. Adeel, F. Shi, and J. A. McCann, "Game theoretic and auction-based algorithms towards opportunistic communications in LPWA LoRa networks," IEEE 3rd World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT), 735-740, 2016.
8. Pasolini, G., et al., "Smart city pilot projects using LoRa and IEEE802.15.4 technologies," Sensors, Vol. 18, No. 4, 1118, 2018.
9. Lian, L. and L. Li, "Wireless dimming system for LED street lamp based on ZigBee and GPRS," 3rd International Conference on System Science, Engineering Design and Manufacturing Informatization, Vol. 2, 100-102, 2012.
10. Counselman, C. C., "Multipath-rejecting GPS antennas," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 87, No. 1, 86-91, 1999.
11. Chen, K., J. Yuan, and X. Luo, "Compact dual-band dual circularly polarised annular-ring patch antenna for BeiDou navigation satellite system application," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 8, 1079-1085, 2017.
12. Wang, Z., R. She, J. Han, S. Fang, and Y. Liu, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized stacked patch antenna with a small frequency ratio for UHF RFID reader applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 15260-15270, 2017.
13. Wang, S., L. Zhu, and W. Wu, "3-D printed inhomogeneous substrate and superstrate for application in dual-band and dual-CP stacked patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 5, 2236-2244, 2018.
14. Yue, T., Z. H. Jiang, and D. H. Werner, "A compact metasurface-enabled dual-band dual-circularly polarized antenna loaded with complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 2, 794-803, 2019.
15. Li, K., L. Li, Y. M. Cai, C. Zhu, and C. H. Liang, "A novel design of low-profile dual-band circularly polarized antenna with meta-surface," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1650-1653, 2015.
16. Liang, Z., D. Yang, X. Wei, and E. Li, "Dual-band dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna with two eccentric rings and an arc-shaped conducting strip," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 834-837, 2016.
17. Kumar, K. and S. Dwari, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized substrate integrated waveguide antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 3, 521-524, 2018.
18. Tao, J. and Q. Feng, "Dual-band magnetoelectric dipole antenna with dual-sense circularly polarized character," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 11, 5677-5685, 2017.
19. Le, T. T. and H. H. Tran, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized antenna based on crossed dipole structure for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Eng., Vol. 29, No. 10, e21866, 2019.
20. Altshuler, E. E. and D. S. Linden, "Wire-antenna designs using genetic algorithms," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 39, No. 2, 33-43, 1997.
21. Best, S. R., "A discussion on the significance of geometry in determining the resonant behavior of fractal and other non-Euclidean wire antennas," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 3, 9-28, 2003.
22. Best, S. R., "A discussion on the quality factor of impedance matched electrically small wire antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 502-508, 2005.
23. Caswell, D. J. and G. B. Lamont, "Wire-antenna geometry design with multiobjective genetic algorithms," Proceedings of the 2002 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC 2002, 2002.
24. Altshuler, E. E. and T. H. O’Donnell, "An electrically small multi-frequency genetic antenna immersed in a dielectric powder," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 5, 33-40, 2011.
25. Altshuler, E. E., "Electrically small self-resonant wire antennas optimized using a genetic algorithm," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 50, No. 3, 297-300, 2002.
26. Altshuler, E. E. and D. S. Linden, "An electrically small genetic antenna immersed in a dielectric," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society, AP-S International Symposium (Digest), 2007.
27. Benmahmoud, F., P. Lemaitre-Auger, and S. Tedjini, "Design of electrically small 3-D wire antennas for UHF RFID applications using genetic algorithm," XXXIInd General Assembly and Scientific Symposium of the International Union of Radio Science (URSI GASS), 1-4, 2017.
28. Choo, H., R. L. Rogers, and H. Ling, "Design of electrically small wire antennas using a pareto genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1038-1046, 2005.
29. Altshuler, E. E. and D. S. Linden, "An ultrawide-band impedance-loaded genetic antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 3147-3151, 2004.
30. Rengarajan, S. R. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "On the cross-polarization characteristics of crooked wire antennas designed by genetic-algorithms," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society, AP-S International Symposium (Digest), 2002.
31. Lohn, J. D., D. S. Linden, G. S. Hornby, and W. F. Kraus, "Evolutionary design of an X-band antenna for NASA’s space technology 5 mission," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium, Vol. 3, No. 11, 2313-2316, 2004.
32. Lohn, J. D., G. S. Hornby, and D. S. Linden, "Rapid re-evolution of an X-band antenna for NASA’s space technology 5 mission," Genetic Programming Theory and Practice III, 65-78, Springer, US, 2006.
33. Hornby, G., A. Globus, D. Linden, and J. Lohn, "Automated antenna design with evolutionary algorithms," Space, Vol. 5, 1-8, 2006.
34. Lohn, J. D., G. S. Hornby, and D. S. Linden, "Human-competitive evolved antennas," Artif. Intell. Eng. Des. Anal. Manuf. AIEDAM, Vol. 22, No. 3, 235-247, 2008.
35. Hornby, G. S., J. D. Lohn, and D. S. Linden, "Computer-automated evolution of an X-band antenna for NASA’s space technology 5 mission," Artif. Intell. Eng. Des. Anal. Manuf. AIEDAM, Vol. 19, No. 1, 1-23, 2010.
36. Lohn, J. D., D. S. Linden, B. Blevins, T. Greenling, and M. R. Allard, "Automated synthesis of a lunar satellite antenna system," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 4, 1436-1444, 2015.
37. Coello Coello, C. A., G. B. Lamont, and D. A. Van Veldhuizen, Evolutionary Algorithms for Solving Multi-objective Problems, Springer, New York, 2007.
38. Linden, D. S., "Using a real chromosome in a genetic algorithm for wire antenna optimization," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society, AP-S International Symposium (Digest), 1997.
39. Jin, N. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Advances in particle swarm optimization for antenna designs: Real-number, binary, single-objective and multiobjective implementations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 3, 556-567, 2007.
40. Deb, K., A. Pratap, S. Agarwal, and T. Meyarivan, "A fast and elitist multiobjective genetic algorithm: NSGA-II," IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., Vol. 6, No. 2, 182-197, 2002.
41. Baumgartner, U., C. Magele, K. Preis, and W. Renhart, "Particle swarm optimisation for Pareto optimal solutions in electromagnetic shape design," IEE Proc. Sci. Meas. Technol., Vol. 40, No. 2, 1172-1175, 2004.
42. Wu, J.-W., J.-Y. Ke, C. F. Jou, and C.-J. Wang, "Microstrip-fed broadband circularly polarised monopole antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 4, 518-525, 2010.
43. Toh, B. Y., R. Cahill, and V. F. Fusco, "Understanding and measuring circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Educ., Vol. 46, No. 3, 313-318, 2003.
44. Le, T. T. and H. H. Tran, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized antenna based on crossed dipole structure for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Eng., Vol. 29, No. 10, 2019.