An artificially two-dimensional metamaterial (ATDM) substrate is proposed as an artificial metamaterial high-constitutive parameter substrate for miniaturizing of a circularly-polarized microstrip antenna. In a circularly-polarized antenna, the electric and magnetic field directions are changing, which requires a two-dimensional metamaterial unit cell. The presented ATDM substrate raises the permeability and permittivity of the underneath substrate for a circularly-polarized patch antenna, and it is constructed of periodically arranged split-ring resonator (SRR) circuits implemented in a low permittivity dielectric underneath substrate. The ATDM attains equal permittivity and permeability material (εr ≅ μr), which neutralizes the destructive effect of the increased permittivity on the bandwidth. In addition, the ATDM structure is implemented in printed circuit board technology. The area of the ATDM antenna at 2.45 GHz is approximately 75% smaller than a usual microstrip antenna. The proposed antenna bandwidth is enhanced compared to the antennas with high-permittivity substrates. The proposed ATDM substrate antenna is fabricated and measured, and comparisons show good agreements between simulated and measured results.
2. Esfahlani, S. H. S., A. Tavakoli, and P. Dehkhoda, "A compact single-layer dual-band microstrip antenna for satellite applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 931-934, 2011.
3. Chakraborty, U., A. Kundu, S. K. Chowdhury, and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Compact dual-band microstrip antenna for IEEE 802.11a WLAN application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 407-410, 2014.
4. Reddy, B. R. S. and D. Vakula, "Compact Zigzag-shaped-slit microstrip antenna with circular defected ground structure for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 678-681, 2015.
5. Wong, K. and H. Tung, "An inverted U-shaped patch antenna for compact operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 7, 1647-1648, 2003.
6. Colburn, J. S. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Patch antennas on externally perforated high dielectric constant substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 12, 1785-1794, 1999.
7. Mookiah, P. and K. R. Dandekar, "Metamaterial-substrate antenna array for MIMO communication system," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3283-3292, 2009.
8. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Design and modeling of patch antenna printed on magneto-dielectric embedded-circuit metasubstrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 1, 45-52, 2007.
9. Pinsakul, A., S. Chaimool, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna printed on magneto-dielectic metasubstrate," 2012 9th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTICON), 1-4, Phetchaburi, 2012.
10. Kumar, S. and D. K. Vishwakarma, "Miniaturisation of microstrip patch antenna using an artificial planar magneto-dielectric meta-substrate," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, No. 11, 1235-1241, 2016.
11. Kim, D., "Planar magneto-dielectric metasubstrate for miniaturization of a microstrip patch antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 12, 2871-2874, 2012.
12. Farahani, M., J. Zaid, T. A. Denidni, and M. Nedil, "Miniaturized two dimensional circular polarized magneto-dielectric substrate antenna," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 1103-1104, Fajardo, 2016.
13. Farzami, F., K. Forooraghi, and M. Norooziarab, "Miniaturization of a microstrip antenna using a compact and thin magneto-dielectric substrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1540-1542, 2011.
14. Farahani, M., M. Akbari, M. Nedil, A. R. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Miniaturised circularly-polarised antenna with high-constitutive parameter substrate," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 20, 1343-1344, September 28, 2017.
15. Zaid, J., M. Farahani, and T. A. Denidni, "Magneto-dielectric substrate-based microstrip antenna for RFID applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 10, 1389-1392, August 16, 2017.
16. Borah, K. and N. S. Bhattacharyya, "Magneto-dielectric material with nano ferrite inclusion for microstrip antennas: Dielectric characterization," IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1676-1681, 2010.
17. Algadami, A. S. M., M. F. Jamlos, P. J. Soh, and M. R. Kamarudin, "Polymer (PDMS-Fe3O4) magneto-dielectric substrate for MIMO antenna array," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 122, No. 9, 2016.
18. Sharma, P. and K. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 6, 949-955, 1983.
19. Smythe, W. R., Static and Dynamic Electricity, McGraw Hill, New York, 1968.
20. Shi, Y., Z. Y. Li, K. Li, L. Li, and C. H. Liang, "A retrieval method of effective electromagnetic parameters for inhomogeneous metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Micow. Theory Tech., Vol. 65, No. 4, 1160-1178, 2017.