In this paper, a compact MIMO antenna with an electromagnetic bandgap structure is proposed for isolation enhancement. The proposed antenna design is coupled with an electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure to minimize mutual coupling between the antenna elements and to enhance the performance of the MIMO antenna configuration. The antenna is fabricated on an FR4 substrate having a dimension of (27.9×38×1.6 mm3). The EBG structure is analyzed, and the effect on antenna performance is studied using parametric analysis. The antenna is fabricated, and the measured results are compared with simulated ones. The antenna achieves a reduction in transmission coefficient |S21| ≥ 16 dB for simulated and |S21| ≥ 25 dB for measured results, and attains the minimum ECC of 0.09 which is very close to the ideal value of zero and hence makes it a better choice for MIMO applications.
2. Radhi, A. H., N. A. Aziz, R. Nilavalan, and H. S. Al-Raweshidy, "Mutual coupling reduction between two PIFA using uni-planar fractal based EBG for MIMO application," 2016 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference (LAPC), 1-5, Loughborough, 2016.
3. Dabas, T., D. Gangwar, B. Kumar Kanaujia, and A. K. Gautam, "Mutual coupling reduction between elements of UWB MIMO antenna using small size uniplanar EBG exhibiting multiple stop bands," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 32-38, 2018.
4. Mohamadzade, B., A. Lalbakhsh, R. B. V. B. Simorangkir, A. Rezaee, and R. M. Hashmi, "Mutual coupling reduction in microstrip array antenna by employing cut side patches and EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 89, 179-187, 2020.
5. Sokunbi, O., H. Attia, and S. I. Sheikh, "Microstrip antenna array with reduced mutual coupling using slotted-ring EBG structure for 5G applications," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 1185-1186, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2019.
6. Prabhu, P. and S. Malarvizhi, "Novel double-side EBG based mutual coupling reduction for compact quad port UWB MIMO antenna," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 109, 146-156, 2019.
7. Bhavarthe, P. P., S. S. Rathod, and K. T. V. Reddy, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna using Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) structure for IoT application," 2018 International Conference on Communication Information and Computing Technology (ICCICT), 1-4, Mumbai, 2018.
8. Babu, K. V., B. Anuradha, and K. C. Bhushana Rao, "Reduction of mutual coupling by desegregated with EBG structure for microstrip antenna array radar applications," 2016 International Conference on Signal Processing, Communication, Power and Embedded System, 317-320, Paralakhemundi, 2016.
9. Ambika, A. and C. Tharini, "Semicircle CSRR with circular slot array structures for high level mutual coupling reduction in MIMO antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 87, 23-32, 2019.
10. Hao, H. C., J. Zhang, and X. Sun, "The deployment of stub structures for mutual coupling reduction in MIMO antenna applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 92, 39-45, 2020.
11. Nguyen, N. L., "Gain enhancement in MIMO antennas using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 87, 127-136, 2019.
12. Sharma, K. and G. P. Pandey, "Two port compact MIMO antenna for ISM band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 100, 173-185, 2020.
13. El Ouahabi, M., A. Zakriti, M. Essaaidi, A. Dkiouak, and E. Hanae, "A miniaturized dual-band MIMO antenna with low mutual coupling for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 93-101, 2019.
14. Varzakas, P., "Average channel capacity for rayleigh fading spread spectrum MIMO systems," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1081-1087, Dec. 2006.
15. Yu, K., X. Liu, and Y. Li, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip patch antenna array using modified split ring resonator metamaterial structures," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2287-2288, San Diego, CA, 2017.
16. Vishvaksenan, K. S., K. Mithra, R. Kalaiarasan, and K. S. Raj, "Mutual coupling reduction in microstrip patch antenna arrays using parallel coupled-line resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2146-2149, 2017.
17. Ghosh, J., S. Ghosal, D. Mitra, and S. R. Bhadra Chaudhuri, "Mutual coupling reduction between closely placed microstrip patch antenna using meander line resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 115-122, 2016.
18. Hwangbo, S., H. Y. Yang, and Y. Yoon, "Mutual coupling reduction using micromachined complementary meander-line slots for a patch array antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1667-1670, 2017.
19. Zhang, J., L. Wang, and W. Zhang, "A novel dual band-notched CPW-fed UWB MIMO antenna with mutual coupling reduction characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 90, 21-28, 2020.
20. Gao, D., Z.-X. Cao, S.-D. Fu, X. Quan, and P. Chen, "A novel slot-array defected ground structure for decoupling microstrip antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 10, 7027-7038, Oct. 2020.
21. Ghosh, A., A. Mitra, and S. Das, "Meander line-based low profile RIS with defected ground and its use in patch antenna miniaturization for wireless applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, 732-738, 2017.
22. Chen, Z., M. Tang, Y. Wang, M. Li, and D. Li, "Mutual coupling reduction using planar parasitic resonators for wideband, dual-polarized, high-density patch arrays," 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-3, Guangzhou, China, 2019.
23. Cheng, Y., X. Ding, W. Shao, and B. Wang, "Reduction of mutual coupling between patch antennas using a polarization-conversion isolator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1257-1260, 2017.
24. Addepalli, T. and V. R. Anitha, "A very compact and closely spaced circular shaped UWB MIMO antenna with improved isolation," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 114, 153016, Feb. 2020.