This study presents a differentially driven log-periodic dipole array system with high isolation between reception and transmission ports for wideband full-duplex applications. The antenna system is composed of two pairs of log-periodic dipole arrays operating in the X-band spectrum from 8 GHz to 12 GHz. The system offers a low cross-polarization between E-plane and H-plane (less than -25 dB). The simulation results show high isolation S21 < -60 dB through the entire X-band while the measured results reach S21 < -45 dB in a reflective lab room. Furthermore, in order to verify the measured values, a modified 180º out-of-phase wideband power divider is used to feed transmitting and receiving ports. The second measured outcomes also attain total isolation greater than 45 dB for the entire band of interest. The proposed design is able to cover both orthogonal transmitted and received directions with reasonable gain values, high efficiency, and good impedance matching.
2. Sabharwal, A., et al., "In-band full-duplex wireless: Challenges and opportunities," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 32, No. 9, 1637-1652, 2014.
3. Wang, X., W. Che, W. Yang, W. Feng, and L. Gu, "Self-interference cancellation antenna using auxiliary port reflection for full-duplex application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2873-2876, 2017.
4. Everett, E., A. Sahai, and A. Sabharwal, "Passive self-interference suppression for full-duplex infrastructure nodes," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Comm., Vol. 13, No. 2, 680-694, 2014.
5. Bharadia, D., E. McMilin, and S. Katti, "Full duplex radios," ACM SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev., Vol. 43, No. 4, 375-386, 2013.
6. Hong, S., J. Mehlman, and S. Katti, "Picasso: Flexible RF and spectrum slicing," Proc. 2012 SIGCOMM, 1-5, 2012.
7. Etellisi, E. A., M. A. Elmansouri, and D. S. Filipovic, "Wideband monostatic Simultaneous Transmit and Receive (STAR) antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 6-15, 2016.
8. Zhang, Z., X. Chai, K. Long, A. V. Vasilakos, and L. Hanzo, "Full duplex techniques for 5G networks: self-interference cancellation, protocol design, and relay selection," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 5, 128-137, 2015.
9. Goodbody, C., T. Karacolak, and N. Tran, "Dual-polarised patch antenna for in-band full-duplex applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 54, No. 22, 1255-1256, 2018.
10. Sim, C. Y. D., C. C. Chang, and J. S. Row, "Dual-feed dual-polarized patch antenna with low cross polarization and high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3405-3409, 2009.
11. Zarifeh, N., M. Alissa, M. Khaliel, and T. Kaiser, "Self-interference mitigation in full-duplex basestation using dual polarized reflect-array," 2018 11th German Microwave Conference (GeMiC), 180-183, Freiburg, 2018.
12. Li, M., B. G. Zhong, and S. W. Cheung, "Isolation enhancement for MIMO patch antennas using near-field resonators as coupling-mode transducers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 2, 755-764, 2019.
13. Hwang, J. and S. Chung, "Isolation enhancement between two packed antennas with coupling element," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1263-1266, 2011.
14. Laco, J. M., F. H. Gregorio, G. Gonzalez, and J. E. Cousseau, "Patch antenna design for full-duplex transceivers," 2017 European Conf. on Networks and Communications (EuCNC), 1-5, Oulu, Finland, 2017.
15. Makar, G., D. Kim, N. Tran, and T. Karacolak, "Compact antennas with reduced self interference for simultaneous transmit and receive," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 78, 19-31, 2017.
16. Carrel, R., Analysis and design of the log-periodic dipole antenna, Ph.D. dissertation, Univ. of Illinois, Champaign, IL, USA, 1961.
17. Xue, Q., S. W. Liao, and H. X. Jian, "A differentially-driven dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 1, 425-430, 2013.
18. Bialkowski, M. E. and A. M. Abbosh, "Design of a compact UWB out-of-phase power divider," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 4, 289-291, 2007.
19. Hasan, Md. R., M. A. Riheen, P. Sekhar, and T. Karacolak, "Compact CPW-fed circular patch flexible antenna for super-wideband applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 14, No. 10, 1069-1073, 2020.
20. Goodbody, C., N. Tran, and T. Karacolak, "Patch antenna for full duplex application with improved isolation using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 84, 91-97, 2019.