A method of loaded patch antennas with shorting pins and erected walls in between patch antenna arrays is introduced to reduce surface wave and free space wave coupling in both E and H-plane. This simple technique works equally well in both orientations by reducing coupling up to -19 dB and -15 dB (measured value) in E-plane and H-plane, respectively, as compared to a conventional patch antenna array. The scattering parameters are studied, and conclusions are made on amounts of mutually coupled power and the bandwidth of the rejection band (S12). A parametric study of the variation in the level of mutual coupling with respect to height of the wall has been carried out in both E and H-planes. The simulation results are well verified through measurements.
2. Monavar, F. M. and N. Komjani, "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using jerusalem cross-shaped frequency selective surfaces by invasive weed optimization approach," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 121, 103-120, 2011.
3. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, K. P. Esselle, and S. L. Smith, "A high-gain wideband EBG resonator antenna for 60 GHz unlicenced frequency band," 12th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2018), 10-12, 2018.
4. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, K. P. Esselle, S. L. Smith, and B. A. Zeb, "Single-dielectric wideband partially reflecting surface with variable high-gain resonant cavity antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 3, 1916-1921, 2019.
5. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, K. P. Esselle, and S. L. S. Member, "Low-cost nonuniform metallic lattice for rectifying aperture near-field of electromagnetic bandgap resonator antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 5, 3328-3335, 2020.
6. Dubost, G., "Influence of surface wave upon efficiency and mutual coupling between rectangular microstrip antennas," International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society, Merging Technologies for the 90’s, Dallas, TX, USA, 660–663, 1990.
7. Pozar, D. M. and P. R. Haddad, "Anomalous mutual coupling between microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, No. 11, 1545-1549, 1994.
8. Djordjevic, A. R. and M. M. Nikolic, "Microstrip antennas with suppressed radiation in horizontal directions and reduced coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3469-3476, 2005.
9. Hou, D., S. X. B. Wang, L. J. J. Wang, and W. Hong, "Elimination of scan blindness with compact defected ground structures in microstrip phased array," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 2, 269-275, 2009.
10. Tang, S. X. M. and Y. B. S. Gao, "Mutual coupling suppression in microstrip array using defected ground structure," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 12, 1488-1494, 2011.
11. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with Electromagnetic Band-Gap (EBG) Structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003.
12. Rajo-iglesias, E., O. Quevedo-teruel, and L. Inclan-sanchez, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays by using a planar EBG structure and a multilayer dielectric substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1648-1655, 2008.
13. Beiranvand, E., M. Afsahy, and V. Sharbati, "Reduction of the mutual coupling in patch antenna arrays based on EBG by using a planar frequency-selective surface structure," Int. J. Microw. Wirel. Technol., Vol. 9, No. 2, 349-355, 2015.
14. Qiu, L., F. Zhao, K. Xiao, S. Chai, and J. Mao, "Transmit-Receive isolation improvement of antenna arrays by using EBG structures," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 93-96, 2012.
15. Sahandabadi, S. and S. V. A.-D. Makki, "Mutual coupling reduction using complementary of SRR with wire MNG structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 61, No. 5, 1231-1234, 2019.
16. Mohamadzade, B., A. Lalbakhsh, R. B. V. B. Simorangkir, A. Rezaee, and R. M. Hashmi, "Mutual coupling reduction in microstrip array antenna by employing cut side patches and EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 89, 179-187, 2020.
17. Farsi, S., et al., "Mutual coupling reduction between planar antennas by using a simple microstrip U-section," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1501-1503, 2012.
18. Ali, A., L. Neyestanak, F. Jolani, and M. Dadgarpour, "Mutual coupling reduction between two microstrip patch antennas," 2008 Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Niagara Falls, 739-742, 2008.
19. Qi, H., L. Liu, X. Yin, H. Zhao, and W. J. Kulesza, "Mutual coupling suppression between two closely spaced microstrip antennas with an asymmetrical coplanar strip wall," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 191-194, 2016.
20. Arand, B. A., A. Bazrkar, and A. Zahedi, "Design of a phased array in triangular grid with an efficient matching network and reduced mutual coupling for wide-angle scanning," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 6, 2983-2991, 2017.
21. Kiani, M. and H. R. Hassani, "Wide scan phased array patch antenna with mutual coupling reduction," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 12, 1932-1938, 2018.
22. Tang, J., et al., "A metasurface superstrate for mutual coupling reduction of large antenna arrays," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 126859-126867, 2020.
23. Zhang, X. and L. Zhu, "Gain-enhanced patch antennas with loading of shorting pins," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 8, 3310-3318, 2016.
24. Samanta, S., P. S. Reddy, and K. Mandal, "Cross-polarization suppression in probe-fed circular patch antenna using two circular clusters of shorting pins," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 6, 3177-3182, 2018.
25. Sanad, H., "Effect of the shorting posts on short circuit microstrip antennas," Proceedings of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium and URSI National Radio Science, No. 2, 794-797, 1994.
26. Targonski, S. D. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Performance of microstrip patches incorporating a single shorting post," IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., No. 1, 29-32, 1996.
27. Kishk, A. A., L. Shafai, and A. Ittipiboon, "Single-element rectangular microstrip antenna for dual frequency operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 8, 298-300, 1983.
28. Shuley, N. V. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Dual frequency microstrip rectangular patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 7, 606-607, 1992.
29. Guha, D., S. Member, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Circular microstrip patch loaded with balanced shorting pins for improved bandwidth," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 217-219, 2006.
30. Abdullah, M., Q. Li, W. Xue, G. Peng, and Y. He, "Isolation enhancement of MIMO antennas using shorting pins," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 10, 1-15, 2019.
31. Li, W., P. Li, and J. Zhou, "Control of higher order harmonics and spurious modes for microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 34158-34165, 2018.