In this paper, two microstrip antennas with a U-slot on the patch are presented for base station applications to provide simultaneous communications for uplink and downlink respectively. The intended antennas are expected to operate in triple bands, i.e., to cover GSM and LTE bands. The three designated bands for uplink antenna are from 823 MHz to 830 MHz for lower band, 1.738 GHz to 1.761 GHz for middle band and 2.321 GHz to 2.355 GHz for upper band. Similarly, the antenna which is designed for downlink operates in three bands from 872 MHz to 880 MHz for lower band, 1.81 GHz to 1.85GHz for middle band, and 2.338 GHz to 2.375 GHz for upper band. These frequency band(s) satisfy the requirements of GSM850, GSM1800, and LTE2300 bands. Comparisons among designed, simulated and measured results are presented. Isolation parameters and the Envelope Correlation Coefficient (ECC) values of Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna in all specified bands are also presented.
2. Huang, C. Y. and E. Z. Yu, "A slot-monopole antenna for dual-band WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 500-502, 2011.
3. Wu, B. Q. and K. M. Luk, "A broadband dual-polarized magneto-electricdipole antenna with simple feeds," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 60-63, 2009.
4. Zhai, H., J. Zhang, Y. Zang, Q. Gao, and C. Liang, "An LTE base-station magnetoelectric dipole antenna with anti-interference characteristics and its MIMO system application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 906-909, 2015.
5. An, W. X., H. Wong, K. L. Lau, S. F. Li, and Q. Xue, "Design of broadband dual-band dipole for base station antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1592-1595, Mar. 2012.
6. Fang, Q., D. Mi, and Y.-Z. Yin, "A tri-band MIMO antenna for WLAN/WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 75-80, 2015.
7. Itoh, K., K. Konno, Q. Chen, and S. Inoue, "Design of compact multiband antenna for triple-band cellular base stations," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 64-67, 2015.
8. Cui, Y., R. L. Li, and P. Wang, "A novel broadband planar antenna for 2G/3G/LTE base stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1132-1139, May 2013.
9. Lee, K. F. and K. M. Luk, Mcrostrip Patch Aantennas, Imperial College Press, 2011.
10. Sun, J., H. Fang, P. Lin, and C. Chuang, "Triple-band MIMO antenna for mobile wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 500-503, 2016.
11. Chen, W. K., Y. X. Li, H. Y. Jiang, and Y. L. Long, "Design of novel tri-frequency microstrip patch antenna with arc slots," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 11, 609-611, May 2012.
12. Rajeshwar Goud, J., N. V. Koteswara Rao, and A. Mallikarjuna Prasad, "Inset feed triple band U-slot antenna for GSM900/GSM1900/WLAN applications," International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology, Vol. 8, No. 6S3, Sept. 20119.
13. Sun, X.-B., "Design of a triple-band antenna based on its current distributionv," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 90, 113-119, 2020.
14. Holma, H. and A. Toskala, LTE for UMTS: OFDMA and SC-FDMA Based Radio Access, 267, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., United Kingdom, 2009.
15. Weigand, S., G. H. Huff, K. H. Pan, and J. T. Bernhard, "Analysis and design of broad-band single-layer rectangular U-slot microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 3, 457-468, Mar. 2003.
16. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, USA, 2005.
17. Mishra, A. R., Fundamentals of Cellular Network Planning and Optimisation 2G/2.5G/3. . . .. Evolution to 4G, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2004.
18. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 9, 70-707, 2003.