A wideband 10-port multiple input multiple output (MIMO) antenna array operated below 6 GHz for the fifth generation (5G) metal-frame smartphones is presented and discussed in this paper. The proposed MIMO antenna array element is composed of a microstrip line with a tuning stub and rectangular slot. The size of the rectangular slot is only 15 mm x 2 mm (0.211λ0 x 0.028λ0, and λ0 is the wavelength with the resonance frequency of 4.2 GHz). U-shaped slots on the substrate are used to reduce the mutual coupling between the antenna elements. At the same time, in order to improve the radiation characteristics of the antenna arrays, narrow slits are etched in the metal-frame. The proposed antenna covers 3.3-5.5 GHz (S11 < -6 dB), which is ultra-wide bandwidth for the 5G communications. The proposed MIMO antenna array is fabricated and measured. Results show that in the desired wide frequency band, the proposed antenna array can achieve desirable performances, including antenna isolation better than -13 dB with decoupling structures, efficiency, and envelope correlation coefficient (ECC)<0.06. Moreover, radiation pattern, calculated ergodic channel capacity, the effects of the user's hand effects and head specific absorption rate (SAR) are also given in the paper. Good agreement between measured and simulated results is obtained, which means that the proposed MIMO array is a good candidate for 5G metal-frame smartphone applications.
2. Al-Dulaimi, Z., T. A. Elwi, and D. C. Atilla, "Design of a meander line monopole antenna array based hilbert-shaped reject band structure for MIMO applications," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 66, 1-10, 2020.
3. Elwi, T. A., M. Noori, Y. Al-Naiemy, and E. S. Yahiea, "Conformal antenna array for MIMO applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 4, 43-50, 2014.
4. Alsaif, H., M. Usman, M. T. Chughtai, and J. Nasir, "Cross polarized 2 × 2 UWB-MIMO antenna system for 5G wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 76, 157-166, 2018.
5. Parchin, N. O., et al., "Eight-element dual-polarized MIMO slot antenna system for 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 15612-15622, 2019.
6. Wong, K. L. and J. Y. Lu, "3.6 GHz 10-antenna array for MIMO operation in the smartphone," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 7, 1699-1704, 2015.
7. Yang, M. and J. Zhou, "A broadband high-Isolation dual-polarized antenna for 5G application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 85, 39-48, 2019.
8. Wong, K. L., C. Y. Tsai, and J. Y. Lu, "Two asymmetrically mirrored gap-coupled loop antennas as a compact building block for eight-antenna MIMO array in the future smartphone," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 4, 1765-1778, 2017.
9. Li, M. Y., Y. L. Ban, Z. Q. Xu, J. Guo, and Z. F. Yu, "Tri-polarized 12-antenna MIMO array for future 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 6160-6170, 2017.
10. Swain, B. R. and A. K. Sharma, "An investigation of dual-band dual-squarering (DSR) based microstrip antenna for WiFi/WLAN and 5G-NR wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 86, 17-26, 2019.
11. Zhang, X., Y. Li, W. Wang, and W. Shen, "Ultra-wideband 8-port MIMO antenna array for 5G metal-Frame smartphones," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 72273-72282, 2019.
12. Huang, D., Z. Du, and Y. Wang, "Slot antenna array for fifth generation metal frame mobile phone applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, No. 7, 1-9, 2019.
13. Li, Y., C. Sim, Y. Luo, and G. Yang, "Multiband 10-antenna array for sub-6GHz MIMO applications in 5G smartphones," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 28041-28053, 2018.
14. Guo, J. L., L. Cui, C. Li, and B. H. Sun, "Side-edge frame printed eight-port dual-band antenna array for 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 12, 7412-7417, 2018.
15. Stanley, M., Y. Huang, H. Wang, H. Zhou, Z. Tian, and Q. Xu, "A novel reconfigurable metal Rim integrated open slot antenna for octa-band smartphone applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3352-3363, 2017.
16. Zhao, X., S. P. Yeo, and L. C. Ong, "Decoupling of inverted-F antennas with high-order modes of ground plane for 5G Mobile MIMO platform," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 9, 4485-4495, 2018.
17. Siu, L., H. Wong, and K. M. Luk, "Self-decoupled compact metal-frame LTE MIMO antennas for the smartphone," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, 1170-1179, 2018.
18. Kurvinen, J., A. Lehtovuori, J. Mai, C. Wang, and V. Viikari, "Metal-covered handset with LTE MIMO, Wi-Fi MIMO, and GPS antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 89-101, 2018.
19. Arvind, K., C. Divya, and R. Singaravelu, "Design of a self-diplexing antenna using SIW technique with high isolation," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 94, 386-391, 2018.
20. Kumar, A., et al., "SIW cavity-backed self-triplexing antenna with T-shaped slot," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conferenc (APMC), No. 6, 1588-1590, 2018.
21. Alnaiemy, Y., T. A. Elwi, and L. Nagy, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna array based on EBG structure for MIMO applications," Periodica Polytechnica Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Vol. 1, No. 4, 1-11, 2019.
22. Wong, K. L., B. W. Lin, and W. Y. Li, "Dual-band dual inverted-F/loop antennas as a compact decoupled building block for forming eight 3.5/5.8-GHz MIMO antennas in the future smartphone," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 11, 2715-2721, 2017.
23. Cui, L., J. Guo, Y. Liu, and C. Sim, "An 8-element dual-band MIMO antenna with decoupling stub for 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 10, 2095-2099, 2019.
24. Abdullah, M., Y.-L. Ban, K. Kang, M.-Y. Li, and M. Amin, "Eight-element antenna array at 3.5 GHz for MIMO wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 78, 209-216, 2017.
25. Ren, A., Y. Liu, and C. Sim, "A compact building block with two shared-aperture antennas for eight-antenna MIMO array in metal-rimmed smartphone," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 10, 6430-6438, 2019.
26. Li, Y. D., et al., "Metal-frame-integrated eight-element multiple-input multiple-output antenna array in the long term evolution bands 41/42/43 for fifth generation smartphones," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 1, 1170-1179, 2018.
27. Chen, Q., et al., "Single ring slot-based antennas for metal-rimmed 4G/5G smartphones," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 3, 1476-1487, 2019.