The aim of this paper was to propose and design a photonic crystal drop filter based on ring resonators and study its properties numerically. This structure is constituted in a two-dimensional square lattice. The resonant wavelengths of the PCRR proposed are λ = 1.553 μm, and the extraction efficiency exceeds 99% with a quality factor of 5177. To study the all-optical OR and XOR logic gate function, we calculated the electric field distribution of the 2D photonic crystal for the 1.553 μm signal light. In order to have a large selectivity of filtering and also of having a fast switching in the field of nonlinearity, we increase the number of ring resonators, and the latter are used for designing all optical logic gates which work using the Kerr effect equal to 10-6 m2/w.
2. Dinesh Kumar, V., T. Srinivas, and A. Selvarajan, "Investigation of ring resonators in photonic crystal circuits," Photon. Nanostruct., Vol. 2, 199-206, 2004.
3. Qiang, Z., W. Zhou, and R. A. Soref, "Optical add-drop filters based on photonic crystal ring resonators," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, 1823-1831, 2007.
4. Robinson, S. and R. Nakkeeran, "Investigation on two dimensional photonic crystal resonant cavity based band pass filter," Optik, Vol. 123, 451-457, 2012.
5. Djavid, M. and M. S. Abrishamian, "Multi-channel drop filters using photonic crystal ring resonators," Optik, Vol. 123, 167-170, 2012.
6. Alipour-Banaei, H., F. Mehdizadeh, and M. Hassangholizadeh-Kashtiban, "T-shaped channel drop filter based onphotonic crystal ring resonator," Optik, Vol. 125, 4718-4721, 2014.
7. Alipour-Banaei, H., F. Mehdizadeh, and S. Serajmohammadi, "A novel 4-channel demultiplexer based on photonic crystal ring resonators," Optik, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2013.04.117.
8. Alipour Banaeia, H., S. Seraj mohammadib, and F. Mehdizadehc, "Alloptical NOR and NAND gate based on nonlinear photonic crystal ring resonators," Optik, Vol. 125, 5701-5704, 2014.
9. Mahmoud, M. Y., G. Bassou, A. Taalbi, and Z. M. Chekroun, "Optical channel drop filter based on photonic crystal ring resonators," Optics Communications, Vol. 285, 368-372, 2012.
10. Birjandi, M. A. M. and M. R. Rakhshani, "A new design of tunable four-port wavelength demultiplexer by photonic crystal ring resonators," Optik, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2013.04.128.
11. Saidani, N., W. Belhadj, and F. Abdel Malek, "Novel all-optical logic gates based photonic crystal waveguide using self imaging phenomena," Optical Quantum Electron., Vol. 47, 1829-1846, 2015.
12. Isfahani, B. M., T. Ahamdi Tameh, N. Granpayeh, and A. M. Javan, "All optical NOR gate based on nonlinear photonic crystal microring resonators," Optical Society of America, Vol. 26, 1097-102, May 2009.
13. Moungar, A., H. Badaoui, and M. Abri, "16-channels wavelength efficient demultiplexing around 1.31/1.55 µm in 2D photonic crystal slab," Optik, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2019.04.032.
14. Skauli, T., P. S. Kuo, K. L. Vodopyanov, T. J. Pinguet, O. Levi, L. A. Eyres, J. S. Harris, M. M. Fejer, B. Gerard, L. Becouarn, and E. Lallier, "Improved dispersion relations for GaAs and applications to nonlinear optics," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 94, No. 10, 6447-6455, 2003.
15. Mohammadi, M. and M. Seifouri, "A new proposal for a high-performance 4-channel demultiplexer based on 2D photonic crystal using three cascaded ring resonators for applications in advanced optical systems," Optical and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 51, 350, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11082-019-2061-z.
16. Ma, Z. and K. Ogusu, "Channel drop filters using photonic crystal Fabry-Perot resonators," Optics Communications, Vol. 284, No. 5, 1192-1196, March 2011.
17. Delphi, G., S. Olyaee, M. Seifouri, and A. Mohebzadeh-Bahabady, "Design of an add filter and a 2-channel optical demultiplexer with high-quality factor based on nano-ring resonator," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 4, 2019.
18. Hsiao, F. L. and C. Lee, "A nano-ring resonator based on 2-D hexagonal-lattice photonic crystals," Proceedings of the International Conference on Optical MEMs and Nanophotonics, 107-108, 2009.
19. Andalib, P. and N. Granpayeh, "Optical add/drop filter based on dual curved photonic crystal resonator," Proceedings of the International Conference on Optical MEMs and Nanophotonics, 170-171, 2008.
20. Gupta, N. D. and V. Janyani, "Dense wavelength division Demultiplexing using photonic crystal waveguides based on cavity resonance," Optik, Vol. 125, 5833-5836, 2014.
21. Radhouene, M., M. Najjar, M. Chhipa, S. Robinson, and B. Suthar, "Performance optimization of six channels WDM demultiplexer based on photonic crystal structure," Journal of Ovonic Research, Vol. 13, No. 5, 291-297, 2017.
22. Talebzadeh, R., M. Soroosh, and T. Daghooghi, "A 4-channel demultiplexer based on 2D photonic crystal using line defect resonant cavity," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 62, No. 6, 866-872, 2016.
23. Cuesta-Soto, F. L., et al., "All-optical switching structure based on a photonic crystal directional coupler," Opt. Express, Vol. 12, 161-167, 2004.
24. Grande, M., et al., "Optical filter with very large stopband (≈ 300 nm) based on a photonic-crystal vertical-directional coupler," Opt. Lett., Vol. 34, 3292-3294, 2009.
25. Stomeo, T., et al., "Optical filter based on two coupled PhC GaAs-membranes," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, 411-413, 2010.
26. Rahmati, A. T. and N. Granpayeh, "Kerr nonlinear switch based on ultra-compact photonic crystal directional coupler," Optik, Vol. 122, No. 6, 2011.
27. Calo, G., D. Alexandropoulos, and V. Petruzzelli, "Active WDM filter on dilute nitride quantum well photonic band gap waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 37-49, 2012.
28. Calo, G. and V. Petruzzelli, "Compact design of photonic crystal ring resonator 2 × 2 routers as building blocks for photonic networks on chip," Journal of the Optical Society of America B: Optical Physics, Vol. 31, No. 3, 517-525, 2014.
29. Shirdel, M. and M. A. Mansouri-Birjandi, "Photonic crystal all-optical switch based on a nonlinear cavity," Optik, Vol. 127, No. 8, 3955-3958, 2016.
30. Geraili, M. R., et al., "A proposal for an all optical full adder using nonlinear photonic crystal ring resonators," Optik, Vol. 199, Article 163359, 2019.
31. Meng, Z.-M., et al., "Theoretical investigation of integratable photonic crystal nanobeam all-optical switching with ultrafast response and ultralow switching energy," 2020 J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 53, 205105, 2020.
32. Ooka, Y., et al., "Ultrasmall in-plane photonic crystal demultiplexers fabricated with photolighography," Opt. Express, Vol. 25, No. 2, 1521-1528, 2017.
33. Dong, G., Y. Wang, and X. Zhang, "High-contrast and low-power all-optical switch using Fano resonance based on a silicon nanobeam cavity," Optics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 24, 5977-5980, 2018.