This paper presents an axial flux permanent magnet (AFPM) synchronous generator that was manufactured for the reduction of cogging torque by considering the different angles of a rectangle-shaped permanent magnet (RSPM). The placement angle of RSPM was changed from 0 to 28 degrees to obtain total harmonic distortion, line voltage, and cogging torque. A numerical finite element model using Maxwell software was created. The model was validated by the experimental results, with and without a load. The optimum placement angle was obtained at 20 degrees, whose total harmonic distortion (Thd) and cogging torque (Tc) were improved by 41.6% and 71.4%, respectively.
2. Pantea, A., A. Yazidi, F. Betin, G. A. Capolino, and V. Lanfranchi, "Six-phase axial flux permanent magnet generator model: Simulation and experimental validation," IEEE 25th International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, 192-197, June 2016.
3. Patel, N. and N. Uddin, "Design and performance analysis of a magnetically levitated vertical axis wind turbine based axial flux PM generator," IEEE 7th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Dhaka, Bangladesh, December 20–22, 2012.
4. Zhu, Z. Q. and D. Howe, "Influence of design parameters on cogging torque in permanent magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 15, No. 4, 407-412, December 2000.
5. Dosiek, L. and P. Pillay, "Cogging torque reduction in permanent magnet machines," IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications, Vol. 43, No. 6, 1565-1571, 2007.
6. Reza, M. M., A. Ahmad, P. Kumar, and R. K. Srivastava, "Semi-analytical model for triangular skewed permanent magnet axial flux machine," IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference, 1-5, 2017.
7. Aycicek, E., N. Bekiroglu, and S. Ozcira, "An experimental analysis on cogging torque of axial flux permanent magnet synchronous machine," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, Sect. A Phys. Sci., Vol. 86, No. 1, 95-101, 2016.
8. Kumar, K. and R. K. Srivastava, "Cost-effective stator modification techniques for cogging torque reduction in axial flux permanent magnet machines," IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo, 1-6, November 2018.
9. Aydin, M., Z. Q. Zhu, T. A. Lipo, and D. Howe, "Minimization of cogging torque in axial-flux permanent-magnet machines: Design concepts," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 9, 3614-3622, 2007.
10. Choi, J. H., J. H. Kim, D. H. Kim, and Y. S. Baek, "Design and parametric analysis of axial flux PM motors with minimized cogging torque," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 6, 2855-2858, 2009.
11. Hsieh, M. F., D. G. Dorrell, Y. H. Yeh, and S. Ekram, "Cogging torque reduction in axial flux machines for small wind turbines," 35th Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics, 4435-4439, Porto, Portugal, November 2009.
12. Demir, U. and M. C. Akuner, "Using taguchi method in defining critical rotor pole data of LSPMSM considering the power factor and efficiency," Tehnicki Vjesni, Vol. 24, No. 2, 347-353, 2017.
13. Huang, M. S., P. C. Chen, Y. S. Huang, and K. C. Chen, "Reduce the cogging torque of axial flux permanent magnet synchronous motor for light electric vehicle applications," IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology, 193-197, Taipei, Taiwan, 2016.
14. Gor, H. and E. Kurt, "Waveform characteristics and losses of a new double sided axial and radial flux generator," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 41, 12512-12524, 2015.
15. Azzouzi, J., N. A. Karim, G. Barakat, and B. Dakyo, "Axial flux pm synchronous generator design optimization: Robustness test of the genetic algorithm approach," European Conference on Power Electronics and Aplplications, September 11–14, 2005.
16. Parviainen, A., M. Niemela, and J. Pyrhonen, "A novel axial flux permanent magnet machine to laboratory use," Computer Engineering in Applied Electromagnetism, 333-336, 2005.
17. Belicova, E. and V. Hrabovcova, "Analysis of an axial flux permanent magnet machine (AFPM) based on coupling of two seperated simulation models (electrical and thermal ones)," Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 58, No. 1, January 3–9, 2007.
18. Taran, N. and M. Ardebili, "A Novel approach for efficiency and power density optimization of an axial flux permanent magnet generator through genetic algorithm and finite element analysis," IEEE 23th International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Istanbul, Turkey, June 2014.
19. Zhang, Z., R. Nilssen, S. M. Muyeen, A. Nysveen, and A. Al-Durra, "Design optimization of ironless multi stage axial flux permanent magnet generators for offshore wind turbines," Engineering Optimization, Vol. 49, 815-827, May 2015.
20. Keysan, O., S. A. McDonald, and M. Mueller, "A direct drive permanent magnet generator design for a tidal current turbine (seagen)," IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference, IEMDC, Niagara, Falls, ON, Canada, May 2011.
21. Virtic, P., M. Vrazic, and G. Papa, "Design of an axial flux permanent magnet synchronous machine using analytical method and evolutionary optimization," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 31, No. 1, 150-158, March 2016.
22. Demir, U. and M. C. Akuner, "Design and optimization of in-wheel asynchronous motor for electric vehicle," Journal of the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture of Gazi University, Vol. 33, No. 4, 1517-1530, 2018.
23. Rallabandi, V., N. Taran, and D. M. Ionel, "Multilayer concentrated winding for axial flux PM machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 53, No. 6, June 2017.
24. Daghigh, A., H. Javadi, and H. Torkaman, "Design optimization of direct-coupled ironless axial flux permanent magnet synchronous wind generator with low cost and high annual energy yield," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 9, September 2016.
25. Zhang, Z., A. Matveev, R. Nilssen, and A. Nysveen, "Ironless permanent magnet generators for offshore wind turbines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 50, No. 3, May/June 2014.
26. Ayat, Y. S. and M. R. A. Pahlavani, "3D Computation of no-load magnetic flux density in slotless axial-flux permanent magnet synchronous machines using conformal mapping," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 11, No. 8, 1391-1396, September 2017.