This paper presents the design and analysis of an on-chip compatible millimeter wave (mmW) antenna concurrently operating at frequencies 60 GHz and 94 GHz. It is quite challenging to design an antenna at mmW frequency due to propagation of surface waves and use of high index Si substrate for system on-chip (SoC) applications. Hence, in this paper a micromachined mmW antenna design using suspended microstrip technology has been proposed for SoC applications. Dual band operation of the antenna has been achieved by reactive loading at the radiating edge. The designed antenna supports the fractional bandwidth of 3.7% & 5% and gain of 7.68 dBi & 8.22 dBi at 60 GHz and 94 GHz, respectively. The results were also compared using two different EM solvers HFSS and CST which were in close agreement. Parametric effects of different substrate and antenna design parameters have also been analyzed. As a proof of concept, a scaled prototype antenna was fabricated and compared with the proposed mmW antenna.
2. Anab, M., M. I. Khattak, S. M. Owais, A. Ali Khattak, and A. Sultan, "Design and analysis of millimeter wave dielectric resonator antenna for 5G wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 98, 239-255, 2020.
3. Alavi, S., et al., "Towards 5G: A photonic based millimeter wave signal generation for applying in 5G access fronthaul," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 19891, 2016.
4. Al-Shareefi, N. A., S. I. S. Hassan, M. F. B. A. Malek, R. Ngah, S. A. Abbas, and S. A. Aljunid, "A cost-effective method for high-quality 60GHz optical millimeter wave signal generation based on frequency quadrupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 255-274, 2013.
5. Liu, C., M.-H. Yang, and X.-W. Sun, "Towards robust human millimeter wave imaging inspection system in real time with deep learning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 161, 87-100, 2018.
6. Agarwal, S., D. Singh, and N. P. Pathak, "Active millimeter wave radar system for non-destructive, non-invasive underline fault detection and multilayer material analysis," 2014 IEEE International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 2014.
7. Mosalanejad, M., S. Brebels, C. Soens, I. Ocket, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Millimeter wave cavity backed microstrip antenna array for 79 GHz radar applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 158, 89-98, 2017.
8. Jackson, D. R., et al., "Microstrip patch designs that do not excite surface waves," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 8, 1026-1037, 1993.
9. Gauthier, G. P., et al., "A 94-GHz aperture-coupled micromachined microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 12, 1761-1766, 1999.
10. Papapolymerou, I., R. F. Drayton, and L. P. Katehi, "Micromachined patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 2, 275-283, 1998.
11. Chu, H., et al., "135-GHz micromachined on-chip antenna and antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4582-4588, 2012.
12. Yook, J.-G. and L. P. Katehi, "Micromachined microstrip patch antenna with controlled mutual coupling and surface waves," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1282-1289, 2001.
13. Ojefors, E., et al., "Micromachined loop antennas on low resistivity silicon substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 12, 3593-3601, 2006.
14. Vaughan, M. J., K. Y. Hur, and R. C. Compton, "Improvement of microstrip patch antenna radiation patterns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 6, 882-885, 1994.
15. Gauthier, G. P., A. Courtay, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Microstrip antennas on synthesized low dielectric-constant substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 8, 1310-1314, 1997.
16. Yang, H.-Y., N. G. Alexopoulos, and E. Yablonovitch, "Photonic band-gap materials for high-gain printed circuit antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 1, 185-187, 1997.
17. Pan, B., et al., "Analysis and characterization of a high-performance Ka-band surface micromachined elevated patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 511-514, 2006.
18. Marnat, L., et al., "New movable plate for efficient millimeter wave vertical on-chip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1608-1615, 2013.
19. Kim, I. K. and V. V. Varadan, "Electrically small, millimeter wave dual band meta-resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3458-3463, 2010.
20. Huang, J.-H., et al., "A 24/60 GHz dual-band millimeter-wave on-chip monopole antenna fabricated with a 0.13-μm CMOS technology," 2009 IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology, IEEE, 2009.
21. Katehi, L. P., J. F. Harvey, and E. Brown, "MEMS and Si micromachined circuits for high-frequency applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 3, 858-866, 2002.
22. Maci, S. and G. B. Gentili, "Dual-frequency patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 6, 13-20, 1997.
23. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
24. Sharma, P. and S. K. Koul, "Design and development of millimeter-wave micromachined patch antennas," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 55, No. 1, 40-50, 2009.
25. Hsu, Y.-C., K.-H. Lin, and Y.-C. Huang, "A scale-sized model for analysis of vehicular antennas," 2007 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, IEEE, 2007.
26. Hesler, J. L., et al., "Analysis of an octagonal micromachined horn antenna for submillimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 6, 997-1001, 2001.
27. Eckart, A., A. Harris, and R. Wohlleben, "Scaled model measurements of the sandwiched V-antenna," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 9, No. 6, 505-520, 1988.
28. Hasch, J., et al., "Patch antenna on micromachined silicon," Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems, 2004.
29. Chiappe, M. and G. L. Gragnani, "Vivaldi antennas for microwave imaging: Theoretical analysis and design considerations," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1885-1891, 2006.
30. Sinclair, G., "Theory of models of electromagnetic systems," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 36, No. 11, 1364-1370, 1948.