When multiple antennas, operating at different frequencies, are installed on a single platform where the typical inter antenna spacing is a few wavelengths at the lowest frequency, the mutual coupling between the antennas can be optimized by the suitable selection of frequencies and the separation of adjacent antennas. This paper characterizes the dependency of mutual coupling between monopoles on the frequency and separation of the radiating/interfering monopole as well as on the size and shape of the ground plane. The out of band (off-band) characteristics of the monopoles are studied, and the effect of frequency offset between the adjacent monopoles on off-band mutual coupling is summarized. The off-band mutual coupling is reduced by more than 15 dB when the adjacent antenna frequency is selected to be near the fourth harmonic. In the case of smaller ground planes, better isolation of more than 20 dB is possible at intermediate antenna spacing than at the edges. The effect on radiation pattern of an antenna by the proximity of nearby antennas is also studied. The operating frequency/resonant length of the nearby antenna and the inter antenna spacing are found to be the key factors causing variation in radiation pattern. Lower off-band interfering antenna of bigger size is found to have significant effect on radiation pattern at spacing less than 2λ. Analysis has been carried out using FEKO, whose findings are validated using another software HFSS and measurements.
2. Zhang, Y., K. Hirasawa, and K. Fujimoto, "Opened parasitic elements nearby a driven dipole," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 5, 711-713, May 1986.
3. King, R., "Reduction of reradiated field in equatorial plane of parasitic antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 20, No. 3, 376-379, May 1972.
4. Hanington, R. F., "Electromagnetic scattering by antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 11, 595-596, Sep. 1963.
5. Daniel, J. P., "Mutual coupling between antennas for emission or reception—Application to passive and active dipoles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 22, No. 2, 347-349, Mar. 1974.
6. Lui, H., H. T. Hui, and M. S. Leong, "A note on the mutual-coupling problems in transmitting and receiving antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation MagazinE, Vol. 51, No. 5, 171-176, Oct. 2009.
7. Henault, S., S. K. Podilchak, S. M. Mikki, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A methodology for mutual coupling estimation and compensation in antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1119-1131, Mar. 2013.
8. Zulkifli, F. Y., E. T. Rahardjo, and D. Hartanto, "Mutual coupling reduction using dumbbell defected ground structure for multiband microstrip antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 29-40, 2010.
9. Zuo, S., Y.-Z. Yin, W.-J. Wu, Z.-Y. Zhang, and J. Ma, "Investigations of reduction of mutual coupling between two planar monopoles using two λ/4 slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 9-18, 2010.
10. Qiu, Y., L. Peng, X. Jiang, Z. Sun, and S. Tang, "Ultra-small single-negative metamaterial insulator for mutual coupling reduction of high-profile monopole antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 72, 197-205, 2017.
11. Macnamara, T., Introduction to Antenna Placement and Installation, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2010.
12. Chen, Z. N., F. Yang, and T. S. P. See, "Mutual coupling between multi-band antennas on small ground plane," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, Barcelona, 2010.
13. Wang, L., W. J. Koh, and Y. H. Lee, "Out-of-band gain prediction of blade antennas for EMC purpose," 2012 Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (APEMC), 589-592, Singapore, 2012.
14. Lim, V. J. X., W. L. Ke, E. L. Tan, and E. Lee, "A study of main contributors to the out-of-band performance of a generic wire antenna," 2013 Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (APEMC), 1-4, Melbourne, VIC, 2013.
15. Wang, L., Y. H. Lee, and W. J. Koh, "Generic prediction equation of both the in-band and out-of-band resonant frequencies of L-band and S band blade antennae," 10th International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 824-828, York, 2011.
16. King, H., "Mutual impedance of unequal length antennas in echelon," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 3, 306-313, Jul. 1957.
17. Chen, Z. N., T. S. P. See, and X. Qing, "Cross-band mutual coupling of monopole antennas on a finite-sized ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 4372-4375, Aug. 2013.
18. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. L. Thuc, R. Staraj, and G. Kossiavas, "Study and reduction of the mutual coupling between two mobile phone PIFAs operating in the DCS1800 and UMTS bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3063-3074, Nov. 2006.
19. Singh, H. S., B. R. Meruva, G. K. Pandey, P. K. Bharti, and M. K. Meshram, "Low mutual coupling between MIMO antennas by using two folded shorting strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 53, 205-221, 2013.
20. El Ouahabi, M., A. Zakriti, M. Essaaidi, A. Dkiouak, and E. Hanae, "A miniaturized dual-band MIMO antenna with low mutual coupling for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 93-101, 2019.
21. Frid, H., H. Holter, and B. L. G. Jonsson, "An approximate method for calculating the near-field mutual coupling between line-of-sight antennas on vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 9, 4132-4138, Sep. 2015.
22. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 65-67, 173–180, 215–217, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2005.
23. Weiner, M. M., "Monopole element at the center of a circular ground plane whose radius is small or comparable to a wavelength," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 5, 488-495, 1987.
24. Thiele, G. A., "Friis transmission over a ground plane: Understanding the effects of nonfree-space conditions," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 61, No. 1, 72-76, Feb. 2019.