In this work a reconfigurable Ultra Wide Band (UWB) antenna for Wireless Body Area Network (WBAN) is presented. The antenna is completely composed of fabric materials and is able to switch its topology from a monopole-like structure (for on-body communications) to a microstrip-like structure (for off-body communications) maintaining UWB characteristic stable both on body and in free-space. This antenna presents good radiation properties in both configurations. In order to describe its time domain and frequency domain behavior a System Fidelity Factor (SFF) analysis has been done for both topologies.
2. Ghosh, D. and P. K. Sahu, "UWB in healthcare," International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 679-682, Cairns, QLD, 2016.
3. Lemey, S., F. Declercq, and H. Rogier, "Dual-band substrate integrated waveguide textile antenna with integrated solar harvester," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 269-272, 2014.
4. Dierck, A., H. Rogier, and F. Declercq, "A wearable active antenna for global positioning system and satellite phone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 532-538, Feb. 2013.
5. Moro, R., S. Agneessens, H. Rogier, and M. Bozzi, "Wearable textile antenna in substrate integrated waveguide technology," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 16, 985-987, Aug. 2012.
6. Kang, C.-H., S.-J. Wu, and J.-H. Tarng, "A novel folded UWB antenna for wireless body area network," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 1139-1142, Feb. 2012.
7. Samal, P. B., P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "A systematic design procedure for microstrip-based unidirectional UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 105-130, 2013.
8. Samal, P. B., P. J. Soh, and Z. Zakaria, "Compact and wearable microstrip-based textile antenna with full ground plane designed for WBAN-UWB 802.15.6 application," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2019.
9. Poffelie, L. A. Y., P. J. Soh, S. Yan, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "A high fidelity all-textile UWB antenna with low back radiation for off-body WBAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 2, 757-760, Feb. 2016.
10. Quintero, G., J.-F. Zurcher, and A. K. Skrivervik, "System fidelity factor: A new method for comparing UWB antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2502-2512, Jul. 2011.
11. Dumoulin, A., M. John, M. J. Ammann, and P. McEvoy, "Optimized monopole and dipole antennas for UWB asset tag location systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 6, 2896-2904, Jun. 2012.
12. Liang, J., L. Guo, C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of CPW-fed circular disc monopole antenna for ultra wideband applications," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 6, 520-526, Dec. 9, 2005.
13. Verbiest, J. R. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "A novel small-size printed tapered monopole antenna for UWB WBAN," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 1, 377-379, Dec. 2006.
14. Ur-Rehman, M., Q. H. Abbasi, M. Akram, and C. Parini, "Design of band-notched ultra wideband antenna for indoor and wearable wireless communications," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, No. 3, 243-251, 2015.
15. Mobashsher, A. T. and A. M. Abbosh, "Compact 3-D slot-loaded folded dipole antenna with unidirectional radiation and low impulse distortion for head imaging applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 7, 3245-3250, Jul. 2016.
16. Sun, Y., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Design of a textile ultra-wideband antenna with stable performance for body-centric wireless communications," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 15, 1363-1375, 2014.
17. Klemm, M., I. Z. Kovcs, G. F. Pedersen, and G. Troster, "Novel small-size directional antenna for UWB WBAN/WPAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3884-3896, Dec. 2005.
18. Balarami Reddy, B. N., P. Sandeep Kumar, T. Rama Rao, N. Tiwari, and M. Balachary, "Design and analysis of wideband monopole antennas for flexible/wearable wireless device applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 62, 167-174, 2017.
19. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. A. Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, H. A. M. Salim, and M. F. Ali, "Embroidered fully textile wearable antenna for medical monitoring applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 321-337, 2011.
20. See, T. S. P., T. M. Chiam, M. C. K. Ho, and M. R. Yuce, "Experimental study on the dependence of antenna type and polarization on the link reliability in on-body UWB systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 11, 5373-5380, Nov. 2012.
21., , https://www.lessemf.com/shieldit super.pdf.
22. Heinola, J.-M. and K. Tolsa, "Dielectric characterization of printed wiring board materials using ring resonator techniques: A comparison of calculation models," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 13, No. 4, 717-726, Aug. 2006.
23., , ansys.com/Products/Electronics/ANSYS-HFSS.
24. Chahat, N., M. Zhadobov, R. Sauleau, and K. Ito, "A compact UWB antenna for on-body applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1123-1131, Apr. 2011.
25. Elaziz, N. M. A., A. J. Alzubaidi, and M. A. Hassan, "Performance of the 6th derivative gaussian UWB pulse shape in IEEE802.15.3a multipath fading channel," IOSR Journal of Engineering, Vol. 04, No. 12, 1-12, ISSN (e): 2250-3021, ISSN (p): 2278-8719, Dec. 2014.
26. Alighanbari, A. and C. D. Sarris, "Parallel time-domain full-wave analysis and system-level modeling of ultrawideband indoor communication system," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 1, 231-240, Jan. 2009.
27. Klemm, M. and G. Troester, "Textile UWB antennas for wireless body area networks," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3192-3197, Nov. 2006.