This paper proposes a truncated arc patch antenna loaded with a novel complementary slotted split ring resonator (CSlSRR) in the ground plane. The antenna achieves wide bandwidth, circular polarisation (CP), and omnidirectional radiation pattern in the S-band. The electrical size of the antenna is 0.36λ0 × 0.31λ0, and the radiating metal dimension is 0.18λ0 × 0.21λ0 (λ0 corresponds to f0 = 2.45 GHz). Truncated corners with a semi-circular arc produce CP with the inset feed. The CSlSRR helps in improving the bandwidth and miniaturisation of the antenna. The design achieves a size reduction of 61%. The fabricated antenna exhibits 12.3% impedance bandwidth (IBW), 4.07% axial ratio bandwidth (ARBW), and a maximum gain of 2.476 dBi at 2.75 GHz. The antenna prototype is characterised in an anechoic chamber. The paper carries out a comparison of the measured and simulated results and other reported works in literature.
2. Elftouh, H., N. Amar Touhami, M. Aghoutane, S. El Amrani, A. Tazon, and M. Boussouis, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 25-33, 2014.
3. Jangid, K. G., A. Tiwari, V. Sharma, V. S. Kulhar, V. K. Saxena, and D. Bhatnagar, "Circular patch antenna with defected ground for UWB communication with WLAN band rejection," Def. Sci. J., Vol. 66, No. 2, 162-167, 2016.
4. Khandelwal, M. K., B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Kumar, "Defected ground structure: Fundamentals, analysis, and applications in modern wireless trends," International J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2017, 1-21, 2017.
5. Arora, C., S. S. Pattnaik, and R. N. Baral, "SRR superstrate for gain and bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 76, 73-85, 2017.
6. Ali, T., S. Pathan, and R. C. Biradar, "A miniaturized circularly polarized coaxial fed superstrate slot antenna for L-band application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 1, No. 6, 2018.
7. Arora, C., S. S. Pattnaik, and R. N. Baral, "SRR inspired microstrip patch antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 58, 89-96, 2015.
8. Patel, S. K., C. Argyropoulos, and Y. P. Kosta, "Broadband compact microstrip patch antenna design loaded by multiple split ring resonator superstrate and substrate," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 5030, 1-12, 2016.
9. Gao, X. J., T. Cai, and L. Zhu, "Enhancement of gain and directivity for microstrip antenna using negative permeability metamaterial," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 70, No. 7, 880-885, 2016.
10. Dawar, P., A. De, and N. S. Raghava, "S-shaped metamaterial ultra-wideband directive patch antenna," Radioelectron. Commun. Syst., Vol. 61, No. 9, 394-405, 2018.
11. Chaturvedi, D. and S. Raghavan, "SRR-loaded metamaterial-inspired electrically-small monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 81, 11-19, 2018.
12. Parvathy, A. R., V. G. Ajay, and T. Mathew, "Circularly polarized split ring resonator loaded slot antenna for RFID readers and WLAN applications ," Adv. Electromagn., Vol. 7, No. 5, 1-6, 2018.
13. Khalilpour, J. and M. Nosrati, "Micro-strip antenna with high bandwidth, cone pattern, circular polarization, and slit," Electromagnetics, Vol. 39, No. 1, 18-29, 2019.
14. Zhang, H., Y. Q. Li, X. Chen, Y. Q. Fu, and N. C. Yuan, "Design of circular polarisation microstrip patch antennas with complementary split ring resonator," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 8, 1186-1190, 2009.
15. Zhang, H., Y. Li, X. Chen, Y. Fu, and N. Yuan, "Design of circular/dual-frequency linear polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3352-3355, 2009.
16. Singh, G., B. K. Kanaujia, V. K. Pandey, D. Gangwar, and S. Kumar, "Design of compact dual-band patch antenna loaded with D-shaped complementary split ring resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 16, 1-16, 2019.
17. Pandey, S. K., G. Prasad Pandey, and P. M. Sarun, "Circularly polarized micro-strip antenna with fractal trees loaded ground plane," Electromagnetics, Vol. 39, No. 7, 505-523, 2019.
18. Samson Daniel, R., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Raghavan, "Offset-fed complementary split ring resonators loaded monopole antenna for multiband operations," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 78, 72-78, 2017.
19. Daniel, R. S., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Raghavan, "A miniaturized printed monopole antenna loaded with hexagonal complementary split ring resonators for multiband operations," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Eng., Vol. 28, No. 7, 1-8, 2018.
20. Samanta, G. and S. R. Bhadra Chaudhuri, "Design of a compact CP antenna with enhanced bandwidth using a novel hexagonal ring based reactive impedance substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 69, 115-125, 2018.
21. Catano-Ochoa, D., D. E. Senior, F. Lopez, and E. Reyes-Vera, "Performance analysis of a microstrip patch antenna loaded with an array of metamaterial resonators," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 281-282, 2016.
22. Al-Bawri, S. S., H. H. Goh, S. Islam, and H. Y. Wong, "Compact ultra-wideband monopole antenna loaded with metamaterial," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 3, 1-16, 2020.
23. Al-Bawri, S. S., S. Islam, H. Y. Wong, and M. F. Jamlos, "Bandwidth and gain enhancement of quad-band CPW-fed antenna for wireless applications," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 2, 1-4, 2020.
24. Abdelrehim, A. A. A. and H. Ghafouri-shiraz, "High-performance terahertz antennas based on split ring resonator and thin wire," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 2, 382-389, 2015.
25. Koutsoupidou, M., N. Uzunoglu, I. S. Karanasiou, and A. S. Description, "Antennas on metamaterial substrates as emitting components for THz biomedical imaging," IEEE 12th International Conference on Bioinformatics & Bioengineering (BIBE), 11-13, Nov. 2012.
26. Ma, F., Y. Lin, X. Zhang, and C. Lee, "Tunable multiband terahertz metamaterials using a reconfigurable electric split-ring resonator array," Light Sci. Appl., Vol. 3, 1-8, 2014.
27. Oliveira, J. G. D., E. N. M. G. Pinto, V. P. Silva Neto, and A. G. D’Assuncao, "CSRR-based microwave sensor for dielectric materials characterization applied to soil water content determination," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 2, 1-16, 2020.
28. Reyes-Vera, E., G. Acevedo-Osorio, M. Arias-Correa, and D. E. Senior, "A submersible printed sensor based on a monopole-coupled split ring resonator for permittivity characterization," Sensors, Vol. 19, No. 8, 1-12, 2019.
29. Hamidkhani, M. and F. Mohajeri, "Dual-band complementary split-ring resonator (CSRR) with high-quality factor and its applications in low phase noise oscillators and small multi-band diplexers and filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 52, 33-44, 2016.
30. Umair, H., et al., "A unique metamaterial inspired star-slot UWB antenna with soft surface ground," Electromagnetics, Vol. 40, No. 2, 152-163, 2020.
31. Krzysztofik, W. J. and T. N. Cao, "Metamaterials in application to improve antenna parameters," Metamaterials and Metasurfaces, 2018.
32. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
33. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 1-5, 2002.
34. Smith, D., J. Gollub, J. J. Mock, and W. Padila, "Calculation and measurement of bianisotropy in a split ring resonator metamaterial," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 100, No. 3, 183-189, 2006.
35. Szabo, Z., G. Park, R. Hedge, and E. Li, "A unique extraction of metamaterial parameters based on Kramers-Kronig relationship," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 10, 2646-2653, 2010.
36. Smith, D. R., D. C. Vier, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E --- Stat. Nonlinear, Soft Matter Phys., Vol. 71, No. 3, 1-11, 2005.
37. Baena, J. D., et al., "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1460, 2005.
38. Bilotti, F., A. Toscano, L. Vegni, K. Aydin, and K. B. Alici, "Equivalent-circuit models for the design of metamaterials based on artificial magnetic inclusions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2865-2873, 2007.
39. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley-Interscience, 2005.