In this communication, a compact two-port multiple input multiple output (MIMO) antenna with high isolation is presented for multiband applications. The size of the proposed structure is 0.15λ0x 0.27λ0 (λ0, measured at lower frequency, is 2.95 GHz), and the antenna elements are separated by a distance of 0.04λ0. The truncated partial ground offers good impedance performance with a fractional bandwidth of 136.5% from 2.95 to 15.65 GHz and covers the uninterrupted ultra-wideband (UWB), X and Ku band applications. High isolation of more than 25 dB is attained by placing parasitic elements between the antennas in a precise manner. The proposed structure is simulated, fabricated, tested, and verified practically. The radiation efficiency is more than 90% of the entire band. The peak gain values vary from 1.2 to 6.8 dB in the desired band, and its maximum value is 6.8 dB at 11.6 GHz. Diversity performance is also studied. The proposed structure offers an envelope correlation coefficient (ECC) of less than 0.04, diversity gain (DG) of greater than 9.996 dB, total active reflection coefficient (TARC) of below -10 dB, mean effective gain (MEG) of around -3 dB, and channel capacity losses (CCL) values are below 0.2 bits/sec/Hz. The measured and simulation results are in good concord.
2. Malviya, L. and K. Machavaram, "MIMO antennas with diversity and mutual coupling reduction techniques: A review," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 8, 1763-1780, 2017, .
3. Isaac, A. A., H. Al-Rizzo, S. Yahya, A. Al-Wahhamy, and S. Abushamleh, "Decoupling of two closely-spaced planar monopole antennas using two novel printed-circuit structures," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 12, 2954-296, 2018, DOI: 10.1002/mop.31405.
4. Radhi, A. H., R. Nilavalan, Y. Wang, H. S. Al-Raweshidy, A. A. Eltokhy, and N. Ab Aziz, "Mutual coupling reduction with a wideband planar decoupling structure for UWB-MIMO antennas," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 10, No. 10, 1143-1154, 2018, DOI:10.1017/S1759078718001010.
5. Li, Q., M. Abdullah, and X. Chen, "Defected ground structure loaded with meandered lines for decoupling of dual-band antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 13, 1764-1775, 2019, DOI: 10.1080/09205071.2019.1643261.
6. Li, Q., A. P. Feresidis, M. Mavridou, and P. S. Hall, "Miniaturized double layer EBG structures for broadband mutual coupling reduction between UWB monopoles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 3, 1168-1171, 2015, DOI: 10.1109/TAP.2014.2387871.
7. Hu, H. and Z. Lu, "A compact UWB-MIMO antenna for portable applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis and Applications, Vol. 8, 240-246, 2016, DOI: 10.4236/jemaa.2016.810022.
8. Wang, L., Z. Du, H. Yang, R. Ma, Y. Zhao, X. Cui, and X. Xi, "Compact UWB-MIMO antenna with high isolation using fence-type decoupling structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 8, 1641-1645, 2019, DOI: 10.1109/LAWP.2019.2925857.
9. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. Bouazizi, and A. Basir, "Metamaterial-based highly isolated MIMO antenna for portable wireless applications," Journal of Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 10, 1-8, 2018, DOI: 10.3390/electronics7100267.
10. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. Ahmad, and S. Bashir, "Mutual coupling reduction using F-shaped stubs in UWB-MIMO antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2755-2759, 2017, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2785232.
11. Park, J.-D., M. U. Rahman, and H. N. Chen, "Isolation enhancement of wideband MIMO array antennas utilizing resistive loading," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 81020-81026, 2019, DOI: 10.1109/Access.2019.
12. Zhu, J., S. Li, B. Feng, L. Deng, and S. Yin, "Compact dual-polarized UWB quasi-self-complementary MIMO/diversity antenna with band-rejection capability," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 905-908, 2016, DOI: 10.1109/LAWP.2015.2479622.
13. Deng, J.-Y., L.-X. Guo, and X.-L. Liu, "An ultra wideband MIMO antenna with a high isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 182-185, 2016, DOI: 10.1109/LAWP.2015.2437713.
14. Zhang, S. and G. F. Pedersen, "Mutual coupling reduction for UWB-MIMO antennas with a wideband neutralization line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 166-169, 2015, DOI: 10.1109/LAWP.2015.2435992.
15. Bhattacharya, A., B. Roy, S. K. Chowdhury, K. Anup, and Bhattacharjee, "An isolation enhanced, printed, low-profile UWB-MIMO antenna with unique dual band-notching features for WLAN and WiMAX," IETE Journal of Research, 1-8, 2019, DOI: 10.1080/03772063.2019.1612284.
16. Mchbal, A., N. Amar Touhami, H. Elftouh, and A. Dkiouak, "Mutual coupling reduction using a protruded ground branch structure in a compact UWB owl-shaped MIMO antenna," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-10, 2018, DOI: 10.1155/2018/4598527.
17. Mathur, R. and S. Dwari, "A compact planar reconfigurable UWB-MIMO antenna with on-demand WiMAX/WLAN rejection," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 10, 1684-1689, 2019, DOI: 10.1049/iet-map.2018.6048.
18. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 5, 1917-1924, 2015, DOI: 10.1109/TAP.2015.2406892.
19. Mathur, R. and S. Dwari, "A compact UWB-MIMO with dual grounded CRR for isolation improvement," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, 1-9, 2018, DOI: 10.1002/mmce.21500.
20. Li, Z., C. Yin, and X. Zhu, "Compact UWB MIMO vivaldi antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 38696-38701, 2019, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2019.
21. Chaudhary, P., A. Kumar, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A low-profile wideband circularly polarized MIMO antenna with pattern and polarization diversity," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-7, 2019, DOI: 10.1017/S175907871900134X.
22. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Design and packaging of an eye-shaped multiple-input-multiple-output antenna with high isolation for wireless UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 8, No. 4, 635-642, 2018, DOI: 10.1109/TCPMT.2018.2806562.
23. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Tapered fed compact UWB-MIMO-diversity antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 4, 1677-1684, 2018, DOI: 10.1109/TAP.2018.2803134.
24. Dkiouak, A., A. Zakriti, and M. El Ouahabi, "Design of a compact dual-band MIMO antenna with high isolation for WLAN and X-band satellite by using orthogonal polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 1-14, 2019, DOI: 10.1080/09205071.2019.1657504.
25. Wu, L., H. Lyu, and H. Yu, "A novel compact UWB-MIMO antenna with quintuple notched-band characteristics," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 108, No. 3, 1827-1840, 2019, DOI: 10.1007/s11277-019-06498-5.
26. Tao, J. and Q. Feng, "Compact ultra wideband MIMO antenna with half-slot structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 792-795, 2017, DOI: 10.1109/LAWP.2016.2604344.
27. Gautam, A. K., A. Saini, N. Agrawal, and N. Z. Rizvi, "Design of a compact protrudent-shaped ultra-wideband multiple-input-multiple-output/diversity antenna with Band-rejection capability," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, 1-11, 2019, DOI: 10.1002/mmce.21829.
28.. Ray, K. P., "Design aspects of printed monopole antennas for ultra-wide band applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-8, 2008, DOI: 10.1155/2008/713858.
29. Sharawi, M. S., A. T. Hassan, and M. U. Khan, "Correlation coefficient calculations for MIMO antenna systems: A comparative study," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 10, 1991-2004, 2017, DOI: 10.1017/S1759078717000903.
30. Manteghi, M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Multiport characteristics of a wideband cavity backed annular patch antenna for multi polarization operations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 466-474, 2005, DOI: 10.1109/TAP.2004.838794.
31. Addepalli, T. and V. R. Anitha, "Design and parametric analysis of hexagonal shaped MIMO patch antenna for S-band, WLAN, UWB and X-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 97, 227-240, 2019.