A radar for decisive target detection and tracking requires wideband, high return loss and high efficiency antenna array. In this paper, a 16 element staked-patch microstrip antenna array is presented at Ku-band with very low reflection coefficient for radar system. An aperture coupled feeding approach for a stack patch antenna is employed for wide bandwidth. A thin and low-loss tangent material, Taconic TLY-5, is used in the design of an antenna array to minimize the surface current loss and dielectric loss. Moreover, the antenna is designed with good impedance match, -30 dB, for high efficiency, by optimizing the stacked patches and utilizing reactive loading from u-slit on patch. For a low reflection coefficient antenna array over a wide bandwidth, an adequate feeding network consists of a compact and meandering stripline with metal-post around it is developed. The stripline configuration with metal-post minimizes crosstalk and lateral leakage. The feeding network developed has low reflection coefficient of -30 dB for the target band. The simulated feeding network loss is also low, 0.5 dB. The overall size of the 16 element array is compact, 295 mm x 30 mm (14λ x 1.425λ). The antenna array performance gives a reflection coefficient of -30 dB in the range of 14-14.5 GHz and total efficiency of 80%. The gain of the array is 21.54 dBi at 14.25 GHz.
2. Ochodnicky, J., Z. Matousek, M. Babjak, and J. Kurty, "Drone detection by ku-band battlefield radar," 2017 International Conference on Military Technologies (ICMT), 613-616, May 2017.
3. Suh, J., L. Minz, D. Jung, H. Kang, J. Ham, and S. Park, "Drone-based external calibration of a fully synchronized ku-band heterodyne FMCW radar," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 66, 2189-2197, Aug. 2017.
4. Park, J., S. Park, D.-H. Kim, and S.-O. Park, "Leakage mitigation in heterodyne FMCW radar for small drone detection with stationary point concentration technique," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, accepted.
5. Immoreev, I. I. and P. G. S. D. V. Fedotov, "Ultra wideband radar systems: Advantages and disadvantages," 2002 IEEE Conference on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies (IEEE Cat. No. 02EX580), 201-205, May 2002.
6. Kaschel, H. and C. Ahumada, "Design of rectangular microstrip patch antenna for 2.4 GHz applied a WBAN," 2018 IEEE International Conference on Automation/XXIII Congress of the Chilean Association of Automatic Control (ICA-ACCA), 1-6, Oct. 2018.
7. Mon, D. F., E. S. Sakomura, and D. C. Nascimento, "Microstrip-to-probe fed microstrip antenna transition," 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1521-1522, Jul. 2018.
8. Xu, Y., S. Gong, and T. Hong, "Circularly polarized slot microstrip antenna for harmonic suppression," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 472-475, 2013.
9. Tan, M. C., M. Li, Q. H. Abbasi, and M. Imran, "A wideband beam forming antenna array for 802.11ac and 4.9 GHz," 2019 13th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Mar. 2019.
10. Atamanesh, M., B. Abbasi Arand, and A. Zahedi, "Wideband microstrip antenna array with simultaneously low sidelobe level in both sum and difference patterns," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 5, 820-825, 2018.
11. Khan, T. A., M. I. Khattak, A. B. Qazi, N. Saleem, and X. Chen, "Stacked microstrip array antenna with fractal patches for satellite applications," 2018 IEEE/ACIS 17th International Conference on Computer and Information Science (ICIS), 875-880, Jun. 2018.
12. Beasley, P. D. L., A. G. Stove, B. J. Reits, and B. As, "Solving the problems of a single antenna frequency modulated CW radar," IEEE International Conference on Radar, 391-395, May 1990.
13. Baktir, C., E. Sobaci, and A. Dnmez, "A guide to reduce the phase noise effect in FMCW radars," 2012 IEEE Radar Conference, 0236-0239, May 2012.
14. Ray, K. P. and G. Kumar, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
15. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. J. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
16. Bhalla, R. and L. Shafai, "Resonance behavior of single u-slot and dual u-slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium. 2001 Digest. Held in conjunction with: USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting (Cat. No.01CH37229), Vol. 2, 700-703, Jul. 2001.
17. Pozar, D. M. and S. D. Targonski, "Improved coupling for aperture coupled microstrip antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 27, 1129-1131, Jun. 1991.
18. Rathi, V., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Improved coupling for aperture coupled microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, 1196-1198, Aug. 1996.
19. Komanduri, V. R., D. R. Jackson, J. T. Williams, and A. R. Mehrotra, "A general method for designing reduced surface wave microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 2887-2894, Jun. 2013.
20. Matin, M. A., B. S. Sharif, and C. C. Tsimenidis, "Dual layer stacked rectangular microstrip patch antenna for ultra wideband applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 1, 1192-1196, Dec. 2007.
21. Ansari, J. A. and R. B. Ram, "Broadband stacked u-slot microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 1724, 2008.
22. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley-Interscience, 2005.
23. Gatti, F., M. Bozzi, L. Perregrini, K. Wu, and R. G. Bosisio, "A novel substrate integrated coaxial line (SICL) for wide-band applications," 2006 European Microwave Conference, 1614-1617, Sept. 2006.
24. Ponchak, G. E., D. Chen, and J.-G. Yook, "Characterization of plated via hole fences for isolation between stripline circuits in LTCC packages," 1998 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (Cat. No. 98CH36192), Vol. 3, 1831-1834, Jun. 1998.
25. Noh, H. S., J. S. Yun, J. M. Kim, and S.-I. Jeon, "Microstrip patch array antenna with high gain and wideband for Tx/Rx dual operation at ku-band," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium, Vol. 3, 2480-2483, Jun. 2004.
26. Bilgic, M. M. and K. Yegin, "Wideband offset slot-coupled patch antenna array for X/Ku-band multimode radars," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 157-160, 2014.
27. Lai, H. W., D. Xue, H. Wong, K. K. So, and X. Y. Zhang, "Broadband circularly polarized patch antenna arrays with multiple-layers structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 525-528, 2017.
28. Boskovic, N., B. Jokanovic, M. Radovanovic, and N. S. Doncov, "Novel ku-band series-fed patch antenna array with enhanced impedance and radiation bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, 7041-7048, Dec. 2018.
29. Zhang, Y., Z. Song, W. Hong, and R. Mittra, "Wideband high-gain 45 dual-polarised stacked patch antenna array for ku-band back-haul services," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 1, 53-59, 2020.