This study proposes a low-profile dual-band MIMO patch antenna array with improved isolation for 4G-LTE and 5G wireless communications. The proposed antenna design contains two closely-spaced coaxial-fed patch antennas with U-shaped slots to generate dual-band operation at 2.6/3.6 GHz 4G/5G bands. The mutual coupling between MIMO elements can be reduced simultaneously at both operation bands by employing a pair of C-shaped parasitic structures with different sizes between the radiating patches. The results show that the isolation between the antenna ports has been enhanced by about 13 dB and 10 dB at the operation frequencies with the presence of the proposed parasitic structures. The simulation and measurements of the proposed antenna design have been provided to verify the performance of the design.
2. Parchin, N. O., et al., "Microwave/RF components for 5G front-end systems," Avid Science, 1-200, 2019.
3. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, 3rd Ed., Chapters 2, 4, 6, and 7, John Wiley, 2005.
4. Ojaroudi, N. and N. Ghadimi, "Dual-band CPW-fed slot antenna for LTE andWiBro applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 1013-1015, 2014.
5. Hussain, R., A. T. Alreshaid, S. K. Podilchak, and M. S. Sharawi, "Compact 4G MIMO antenna integrated with a 5G array for current and future mobile handsets," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, 271-279, 2017.
6. Ojaroudi, Y., et al., "Circularly polarized microstrip slot antenna with a pair of spur-shaped slits for WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 756-759, 2015.
7. Abdulkhaleq, A. M., et al., "Mutual coupling effect on three-way doherty amplifier for green compact mobile communications," EuCAP 2020, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2020.
8. Ojaroudi, N. and N. Ghadimi, "Design of CPW-fed slot antenna for MIMO system applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 1278-1281, 2014.
9. Ojaroudiparchin, N., et al., "Multi-layer 5G mobile phone antenna for multi-user MIMO communications," Proc. 23rd Telecommun. Forum Telfor (TELFOR), 559-562, Nov. 2015.
10. Kim, S. and S. Nam, "A compact and wideband linear array antenna with low mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, 5695-5699, 2019.
11. Parchin, N. O., et al., "Eight-element dual-polarized MIMO slot antenna system for 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 15612-15622, 2019.
12. Rajo-Iglesias, E., O. Quevedo-Teruel, and L. Inclan-Sanchez, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays by using a planar EBG structure and a multilayer dielectric substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 1648-1655, 2008.
13. Malmstrom, J., H. Holter, and B. L. G. Jonsson, "On mutual coupling and coupling paths between antennas using the reaction theorem," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 60, 2037-2040, 2018.
14. Alzahed, A. M., S. M. Mikki, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Nonlinear mutual coupling compensation operator design using a novel electromagnetic machine learning paradigm," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, 861-865, 2019.
15. Nurhayati, G. Hendrantoro, F. Takeshi, and E. Setijad, "Mutual coupling reduction for a UWB coplanar vivaldi array by a truncated and corrugated slot," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 17, 2018.
16. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A.W. Ahmad, and S. Bashir, "Mutual coupling reduction using F-shaped stubs in UWB-MIMO antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2755-2799, 2018.
17. Hameed, K. W. H., et al., "The performance of SLNR beamformers in multi-user MIMO systems," Broad Nets’ 2018, Faro, Portugal, 2018.
18. Kiani-Kharaji, M., H. R. Hassani, and S. Mohammad-Ali-Nezhad, "Wide scan phased array patch antenna with mutual coupling reduction," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, 1932-1938, 2018.
19. Mazloum, J., et al., "Compact triple-band S-shaped monopole diversity antenna for MIMO applications," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 28, 975-980, 2015.
20. Basherlou, H. J., et al., "MIMO monopole antenna design with improved isolation for 5G WiFi applications," International Journal of Electrical and Electronic Science, Vol. 7, 1-5, 2019.
21. CST Microwave Studio, , ver. 2018, CST, Framingham, MA, USA, 2018.
22. Ojaroudi, N., "Design of microstrip antenna for 2.4/5.8 GHz RFID applications," German Microwave Conference, GeMic 2014, RWTH Aachen University, Germany, March 10–12, 2014.
23. Wong, K.-L., "Isolation between GSM/DCS and WLAN antennas in a PDA phone," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, 347-352, 2005.
24. Ojaroudi, N., et al., "Quad-band planar inverted-f antenna (PIFA) for wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 45, 51-56, 2014.
25. Ojaroudi, N., et al., "A new design of triple-band WLAN/WiMAX monopole antenna for multiple-input/multiple-output applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 2667-2671, 2014.
26. Parchin, N. O., et al., "Multi-band MIMO antenna design with user-impact investigation for 4G and 5G mobile terminals," Sensors, Vol. 19, 1-16, 2019.
27. Al-Yasir, Y., et al., "Design of very compact combline band-pass filter for 5G applications," LAPC’2018, UK, 2018.
28. Ojaroudi, N., et al., "Enhanced bandwidth of small square monopole antenna by using inverted U-shaped slot and conductor-backed plane," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 27, 685-690, 2012.
29. Jiang, W., B. Liu, Y. Cui, and W. Hu, "High-isolation eight-Element MIMO array for 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 34104-34112, 2019.
30. Parchin, N. O., "Low-profile air-filled antenna for next generation wireless systems," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 97, 3293-3300, 2018.
31. Ojaroudi Parchin, N., et al., "Dual-polarized MIMO antenna array design using miniaturized self-complementary structures for 5G smartphone applications," 13th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Krakow, Poland, Mar. 31–Apr. 5, 2019.
32. Ojaroudi, M., et al., "Dual band-notch small square monopole antennawith enhanced bandwidth characteristics for UWB applications," ACES J., Vol. 25, 420-426, 2012.
33. Ojaroudi, N., "Circular microstrip antenna with dual band-stop performance for ultra-wideband systems," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 2095-2098, 2014.
34. Syrytsin, I., S. Zhang, and G. F. Pedersen, "Performance investigation of a mobile terminal phased array with user effects at 3.5 GHz for LTE advanced," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1847-1850, 2017.
35. Ojaroudiparchin, N., et al., "Design of Vivaldi antenna array with end-fire beam steering function for 5G mobile terminals," 23rd Telecommunications Forum Telfor (TELFOR), 587-590, Belgrade, Serbia, Nov. 24–26, 2015.
36. Ojaroudi, N., et al., "Enhanced bandwidth of small square monopole antenna by using inverted U-shaped slot and conductor-backed plane," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 27, 685-690, 2012.
37. Parchin, N. O., et al., "Dual-band monopole antenna for RFID applications," Future Internet, Vol. 11, 1-10, 2019.
38. Valizade, A., et al., "Band-notch slot antenna with enhanced bandwidth by using Ω-shaped strips protruded inside rectangular slots for UWB applications," Appl. Comput. Electromagn. Soc. (ACES) J., Vol. 27, 816-822, 2012.
39. Parchin, N. O., et al., "8 × 8 MIMO antenna system with coupled-fed elements for 5G handsets," IET Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Birmingham, UK, Nov. 2019.
40. Parchin, N. O. and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "A compact Vivaldi antenna array for 5G channel sounding applications," EuCAP, London, UK, 2018.
41. Parchin, N. O., et al., "A radiation-beam switchable antenna array for 5G smartphones," 2019 PhotonIcs & Electromagnetics Research Symposium — Fall (PIERS — FALL), Xiamen, China, Dec. 17–20, 2019.
42. Parchin, N. O., et al., "MM-wave phased array quasi-yagi antenna for the upcoming 5G cellular communications," Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, 1-14, 2019.
43. Musavand, A., et al., "A compact UWB slot antenna with reconfigurable band-notched function for multimode applications," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 13, No. 1, 975-980, 2016.
44. Ullah, A., et al., "Coplanar waveguide antenna with defected ground structure for 5G Millimeter wave communications," IEEE MENACOMM’19, Bahrain, 2019.
45. Ojaroudiparchin, N., et al., "Small-size tapered slot antenna (TSA) design for use in 5G phased array applications," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 32, 193-202, 2018.