Slotless double-sided outer armature permanent-magnet (PM) linear motors (SDOPMLs) have high efficiency and low detent force. Despite their simple control strategy and easy manufacturing process, finding an accurate model of these motors to calculate the machine quantities is challenging. It is particularly critical for obtaining the optimum design of these machines which may include too many iterations in a short time. To overcome this challenge, a 2-D analytical model based on the sub-domain method is presented to determine the magnetic flux density components for the motor under the study. According to this analytical procedure, the motor cross-section is divided to 11 sub-regions, then the superposition theorem is utilized to analyze the flux density distribution in all sub-regions due to various magnetization patterns, (i.e.， parallel, two-segment Halbach, ideal Halbach, and bar magnet in shifting directions) as well as armature reaction current, respectively. According to the calculated magnetic flux density components, machine quantities like flux linkage, induced voltage, inductances and electromagnetic force components are explained. Also, the obtained analytical results are compared with those of the finite-element method (FEM) to confirm the accuracy of the proposed model. The proposed model can be used in the design and optimization stage of the linear slotless motor against the numerical model to save time. Finally, a comparative study between the performance of the single-sided and double-sided slotless PM linear motors in the same volume is implemented. This comparison shows the advantage of the double-sided motorin terms of the unbalanced magnetic force (UMF).
2. Kim, S. A., T. U. Zhu, S. G. Lee, S. Saha, and Y. H. Cho, "Electromagnetic normal force characteristics of a permanent magnet linear synchronous motor with double primary side," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 50, No. 1, Article Number: 4001204, 2014.
3. Virtic, P. and B. Stumberger, "Analytical analysis of magnetic field and force calculation in a slotless-type permanent magnet linear synchronous machine; Verification with numerical analysis," Electric Machines & Drives Conference, Vol. 2, 963-968, 2017.
4. Azzouzi, J., G. Barakat, and B. Dakyo, "Quasi-3-D analytical modeling of the magnetic field of an axial flux permanent-magnet synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 20, No. 4, 746-752, 2005.
5. Guo, R., H. Yu, T. Xia, Z. Shi, W. Zhong, and X. Liu, "A simplified subdomain analytical model for the design and analysis of a tubular linear permanent magnet oscillation generator," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 42355-42367, 2018.
6. Kang, G. H., J. P. Hong, and G. T. Kim, "A novel design of an air-core type permanent magnet linear brushless motor by space harmonics field analysis," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 37, No. 5, 3732-3736, 2001.
7. Vaez-Zadeh, S. and A. H. Isfahani, "Multiobjective design optimization of air-core linear permanent-magnet synchronous motors for improved thrust and low magnet consumption," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 3, 446-452, 2006.
8. Anglada, J. R., S. M. Sharkh, and M. A. Yuratich, "Calculation of rotor losses in PM machines with retaining sleeves using transfer matrices," IET Electric Power Appl., Vol. 12, No. 8, 1150-1157, 2018.
9. Vaez-Zadeh, S. and A. Isfahani, "Enhanced modeling of linear permanent-magnet synchronous motors," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 1, 33-39, 2007.
10. Teymoori, S., A. Rahideh, H. Moayed-Jahromi, and M. Mardaneh, "2-D analytical magnetic field prediction for consequent-pole permanent magnet synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 6, Article Number: 8202114, 2016.
11. Guo, B., Y. Huang, F. Peng, Y. Guo, and J. Zhu, "Analytical modeling of manufacturing imperfections in double-rotor axial flux PM machines: Effects on back EMF," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 53, No. 6, Article Number: 7200605, 2017.
12. Ramakrishnan, K., M. Curti, D. Zarko, G. Mastinu, J. J. H. Paulides, and E. A. Lomonova, "Comparative analysis of various methods for modelling surface permanent magnet machines," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 11, No. 4, 540-547, 2017.
13. Dai, X., Q. Liang, J. Cao, Y. Long, J. Mo, and S. H. Wang, "Analytical modeling of axial-flux permanent magnet eddy current couplings with a slotted conductor topology," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 2, Article Number: 8000315, 2016.
14. Kwon, Y. S. and W. J. Kim, "Steady-state modeling and analysis of a double-sided interior permanent-magnet flat linear brushless motor with slot-phase shift and alternate teeth windings," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 11, Article Number: 8205611, 2016.
15. Yin, X., Y. Fang, X. Huang, and P. D. Pfister, "Analytical modeling of a novel vernier pseudo-direct-drive permanent-magnet machine," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 53, No. 6, Article Number: 7207404, 2017.
16. Liu, X., H. Hu, J. Zhao, A. Belahcen, and L. Tang, "Armature reaction field and inductance calculation of ironless BLDC motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 2, Article Number: 8200214, 2016.
17. Kazerooni, K., A. Rahideh, and J. Aghaei, "Experimental optimal design of slotless brushless pm machines based on 2-D analytical model," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 5, Article Number: 8103116, 2016.
18. Ko, Y., J. Song, M. Seo, W. Han, Y. Kim, and S. Jung, "Analytical method for overhang effect of surface-mounted permanent-magnet motor using conformal mapping," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 54, No. 11, Article Number: 8208005, 2018.
19. Liu, X., H. Hu, J. Zhao, A. Belahcen, L. Tang, and L. Yang, "Analytical solution of the magnetic field and EMF calculation in ironless BLDC motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 2, Article Number: 8100510, 2016.
20. Shin, K. H., H. W. Cho, S. H. Lee, and J. Y. Choi, "Armature reaction field and inductance calculations for a permanentmagnet linear synchronous machine based on subdomain model," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 53, No. 6, Article Number: 8105804, 2017.
21. Brahim, L.-C., K. Boughrara, and R. Ibtiouen, "Cogging torque minimization of surface-mounted permanent magnet synchronous machines using hybrid magnet shapes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 62, 49-61, 2015.
22. Zhu, Z. Q., D. Ishak, D. Howe, and J. Chen, "Unbalanced magnetic forces in permanent-magnet brushless machines with diametrically asymmetric phase windings," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 43, No. 6, 1544-1553, 2007.
23. Yao, Y., Q. Lu, X. Huang, and Y. Ye, "Fast calculation of detent force in PM linear synchronous machines with considering magnetic saturation," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 53, No. 6, Article Number: 8102404, 2017.
24. Vahaj, A. A., A. Rahideh, and T. Lubin, "General analytical magnetic model for partitioned-stator flux-reversal machines with four types of magnetization patterns," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 2019, DOI: 10.1109/TMAG.2019.2929477.
25. Ghaffari, A., A. Rahideh, H. Moayed-Jahromi, A. A. Vahaj, A. Mahmoudi, and W. L. Soong, "2-D analytical model for outer-rotor consequent-pole brushless PM machines," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 2019, DOI: 10.1109/TEC.2019.2941935.
26. Boutora, Y., N. Takorabet, and R. Ibtiouen, "Analytical model on real geometries of magnet bars of surface permanent magnet slotless machine," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 66, 31-47, 2016.
27. Zhang, Y., Z. Yang, M. Yu, K. Lu, Y. Ye, and X. Liu, "Analysis and design of double-sided air core linear servo motor with trapezoidal permanent magnets," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 3236-3239, 2011.
28. Rahideh, A., A. Ghaffari, A. Barzegar, and A. Mahmoudi, "Analytical model of slotless brushless PM linear motors considering different magnetization patterns," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 33, No. 4, 1797-1804, 2018.