Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) structures can be employed near the feed line of a UWB monopole antenna, to reject the already existing narrowband radio signals operating within the spectrum of an Ultra Wide Band (UWB) antenna. Multiple EBG structures are required to reject multiple interfering bands. However, since the ground plane of a monopole antenna is limited, there is a need for compact EBG structures. This paper presents the application of a Two Via Slot (TVS) EBG to reject the interfering upper Wireless Local Area (WLAN) band (5.725 GHz-5.825 GHz) from the spectrum of a fork-shaped UWB monopole antenna. The simulated results demonstrate that the TVS EBG gives better performance in terms of higher and sharper Voltage Standing Wave Ratio (VSWR) value at the rejection band while occupying least ground plane area than Conventional Mushroom Type (CMT) EBG, Edge Located Via (ELV) EBG, slotted-patch ELV EBG, and semi-circular EBG. The proposed design is fabricated and measured. The measurement results prove that the antenna successfully achieves wide impedance bandwidth from 3 GHz to 12 GHz while rejecting the frequencies from 5.4 GHz to 5.9 GHz.
2. Huang, C. Y. and W. C. Hsia, "Planar elliptical antenna for ultra-wideband communications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 6, 296-297, Mar. 2005.
3. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of ultrawideband planar monopole antennas of circular and elliptical shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 17-23, Jan. 2008.
4. Ojaroudi, M., G. Kohneshahri, and J. Noory, "Small modified monopole antenna for UWB application," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 5, 863-869, Aug. 2009.
5. Ray, K. P. and S. Tiwari, "Ultra wideband printed hexagonal monopole antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 4, 437-445, Apr. 2010.
6. Nguyen, D. T., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Very compact printed triple band-notched UWB antenna with quarter-wavelength slots," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 411-414, 2012.
7. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Tapered fed compact UWB MIMO-diversity antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 4, 1677-1684, Apr. 2018.
8. Gautam, A. K., S. Yadav, and K. Rambabu, "Design of ultra-compact UWB antenna with band-notched characteristics for MIMO applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 12, 1895-1900, Sep. 2018.
9. Hammache, B., A. Messai, I. Messaoudene, and T. A. Denidni, "A compact ultra-wideband antenna with three C-shaped slots for notched band characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 61, No. 1, 275-279, Nov. 2019.
10. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of UWB planar band-notched antenna using parasitic elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 796-799, Mar. 2009.
11. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB antenna with single or dual band-notches for lowerWLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3942-3950, Dec. 2009.
12. Chandel, R. and A. K. Gautam, "Compact MIMO/diversity slot antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 5, 336-338, Mar. 2016.
13. Hosseini, H., H. R. Hassani, and M. H. Amini, "Miniaturised multiple notched omnidirectional UWB monopole antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 8, 472-474, Apr. 2018.
14. Almalkawi, M. and V. Devabhaktuni, "Ultrawideband antenna with triple band-notched characteristics using closed-loop ring resonators," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 959-962, 2011.
15. Siddiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact SRR loaded UWB circular monopole antenna with frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 8, 4015-4020, Aug. 2014.
16. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "Design of a band-notched UWB monopole antenna by means of an EBG structure," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 170-173, 2011.
17. Peng, L. and C. L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, Apr. 2011.
18. Li, T., H.-Q. Zhai, G.-H. Li, and C.-H. Liang, "Design of compact UWB band-notched antenna by means of electromagnetic-bandgap structures," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 11, 608-609, May 2012.
19. Yang, Y., Y. Yin, A. Sun, and S. Jing, "Design of a UWB wide-slot antenna with 5.2/5.8-GHz dual notched bands using modified electromagnetic band-gap structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1069-1075, Apr. 2012.
20. Jaglan, N., B. K. Kanaujia, S. D. Gupta, and S. Srivastava, "Dual band notched EBG structure based UWB MIMO/diversity antenna with reduced wide band electromagnetic coupling," Frequenz, Vol. 71, No. 11–12, 555-565, 2017.
21. Jaglan, N., S. D. Gupta, B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Srivastava, "Band notched UWB circular monopole antenna with inductance enhanced modified mushroom EBG structure," Wireless Netw., Vol. 24, No. 2, 383-393, Feb. 2018.
22. Peddakrishna, S. and T. Khan, "Design of UWB monopole antenna with dual notched band characteristics by using π-shaped slot and EBG resonator," AEU --- Intl. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 96, 107-112, 2018.
23. Ghosh, A., G. Sen, M. Kumar, and S. Das, "Design of UWB antenna integrated with dual GSM functionalities and dual notches in the UWB region using single branched EBG inspired structure," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 10, 1564-1571, Aug. 2019.
24. Ghahremani, M., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, M. S. Ellis, F. Alizadeh, and B. Mohammadi, "Miniaturised UWB antenna with dual-band rejection of WLAN/WiMAX using slitted EBG structure," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 3, 360-366, Feb. 2019.
25. Trimukhe, M. A. and B. G. Hogade, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with triple band notch characteristics using EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 65-77, 2019.
26. Bhavarthe, P. P., S. S. Rathod, and K. T. V. Reddy, "A compact two via slot-type electromagnetic bandgap structure," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 27, No. 5, 446-448, May 2017.
27. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with Electromagnetic Bandgap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 2003.
28. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999.