In this paper, a new miniaturized switchable band microstrip patch antenna array using PIN-diode is presented for WLAN/WiMax applications. In the first stage DGS has been employed to miniaturize a dual band microstrip patch antenna array simultaneously resonating at 2.2 GHz and 3.8 GHz. Further in second stage RF PIN-diodes has been used to achieve the frequency reconfigurability to serve for different communication systems. The designs are verified through both simulation and measurement of fabricated prototype. The measured results were in good agreement with simulated results.
2. Hanae, E., N. Amar Touhami, M. Aghoutane, S. El Amrani, A. Tazon, and M. Boussouis, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 25-33, 2014.
3. Arya, A. K., M. V. Kartikeyan, and A. Patnaik, "Efficiency enhancement of microstrip patch antennas with defected ground structure," Proc. IEEE Recent Advanced in Microwave Theory and Applications (MICROWAVE-08), 729-731, Nov. 2008.
4. Zulkifli, F. Y., E. T. Rahardjo, and D. Hartanto, "Mutual coupling reduction using dumbbell defected ground structure for multiband microstrip antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 29-40, 2010.
5. Fan, M., R. Hu, Z. H. Feng, X. X. Zhang, and Q. Hao, "Advance in 2D-EBG structures research," The Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 22, No. 2, 2003.
6. Arya, A. K., A. Patnaik, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Microstrip patch antenna with skew-F shaped DGS for dual band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 19, 147-160, 2011.
7. Kapoor, S. and D. Parkash, "Miniaturized triple band microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for wireless communication applications," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 57, No. 7, Nov. 2012, ISSN: 0975-8887.
8. Maci, S., B. B. Gentili, P. Piazzesi, and C. Salvador, "Dual band slot-loaded patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 39, No. 6, 13-20, Dec. 1997.
9. Hsieh, K. B. and K. Wong, "Inset microstrip-line-fed dual-frequency circular microstrip antenna and its application to a two-element dual-frequency microstrip array," Inst. Elect. Eng. Microw. Antennas Propag. Symp. Digest, Vol. 147, 359-361, Oct. 1999.
10. Fang, S. T. and K. L. Wong, "A dual frequency equilateral triangular microstrip antenna with a pair of two narrow slots," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 23, 82-84, Oct. 1999.
11. Morioka, T., S. Araki, and K. Hirasawa, "Slot antenna with parasitic element for dual band operation," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, 2093-2094, Dec. 1997.
12. Costantine, J., Y. Tawk, S. E. Barbin, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable antennas: Design and applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 3, 424-437, 2015.
13. Lim, J.-H., G.-T. Back, Y.-I. Ko, C.-W. Song, and T.-Y. Yun, "A reconfigurable PIFA using a switchable PIN-diode and a fine-tuning varactor for USPCS/WCDMA/m-WiMAX/WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2404-2411, Jul. 2010.
14. Onat, S., L. Alatan, and S. Demir, "Design of triple-band reconfigurable microstrip antenna employing RF-MEMS switches," APS International Symposium, Vol. 2, 1812-1815, IEEE, Jun. 20–25, 2004.
15. Onat, S., L. Alatan, S. Demir, M. Unlu, and T. Akin, "Design of a re-configurable dual frequency microstrip antenna with integrated RF MEMS switches," APS International Symposium, Vol. 2A, 384-387, IEEE, Jul. 3–8, 2005.
16. Weedon, W. H., W. J. Payne, and G. M. Rebeiz, "MEMS-switched reconfigurable antennas," APS International Symposium, Vol. 3, 654-657, IEEE, Jul. 8–13, 2001.
17. Cetiner, B. A., H. Jafarkhani, J.-Y. Qian, H. J. Yoo, A. Grau, and F. De Flaviis, "Multifunctional reconfigurable MEMS integrated antennas for adaptive MIMO systems," Communications Magazine, Vol. 42, No. 12, 62-70, IEEE, Dec. 2004.
18. Lee, A. W. M., S. K. Kagan, M. Wong, R. S. Singh, and E. R. Brown, "Measurement and FEM modeling of a reconfigurable-patch antenna for use in the wideband gap filler satellite system," APS Symposium, Vol. 1, 379-382, IEEE, Jun. 22–27, 2003.
19. Liu, S., M. Lee, C. Jung, G. P. Li, and F. Flaviis, "A frequency-reconfigurable circularly polarized patch antenna by integrating mems switches," APS International Symposium, Vol. 2A, IEEE, 2005.
20. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, USA, 2009.
21. Ahn, D., J.-S. Park, C.-S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, 2001.