Coupling coefficient of a magnetic coupler is a key factor that affects the efficiency of wireless charging system. DD-type couplers have the most common topology in the literature. However, they have low coupling coefficients. In order to obtain high coupling coefficient of magnetic coupler, firstly, the magnetic circuit models of DD-type and solenoid-type magnetic couplers commonly adopted in electric vehicles are built in this paper. Secondly, a hybrid DD-solenoid type coil winding is proposed based on the analytical model, and the optimized design of the magnetic core and shielding structure are also introduced in this paper. Thirdly, an optimization design method for magnetic coupler is proposed. 3-D finite-element analysis (FEA) and experimental results verify the theoretical analysis. It is shown that the performance of the hybrid winding method proposed in this paper is significantly improved compared to the traditional DD winding method, and it can also keep the high offset tolerance characteristics of DD winding. In the meantime, the proposed method can increase the coupling coefficient and decrease the cost through optimization of magnetic core, and the shielding structure can effectively reduce the electromagnetic interference.
2. Huang, X., W. Wang, and L. Tan, "Technical progress and application development of magnetic coupling resonant wireless power transfer," Automation of Electric Power Systems, Vol. 41, No. 02, 1-14, Jan. 2017.
3. Zhao, Z., F. Liu, and K. Chen, "New progress of wireless charging technology for electric vehicles," Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 31, No. 20, 30-40, Oct. 2016.
4. Ahmad, A., M. S. Alam, and R. Chabaan, "A comprehensive review of wireless charging technologies for electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Vol. 4, No. 1, 38-63, Mar. 2018.
5. Yang, Y., M. El Baghdadi, Y. Lan, Y. Benomar, J. Van Mierlo, and O. Hegazy, "Design methodology, modeling, and comparative study of wireless power transfer systems for electric vehicles," Energies, Vol. 11, 1716, Jul. 2018.
6. Chau, K.-T., C. Jiang, W. Han, and C. H. T. Lee, "State-of-the-art electromagnetics research in electric and hybrid vehicles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 159, 139-157, 2017.
7. Covic, G. A., J. T. Boys, M. L. G. Kissin, and H. G. Lu, "A three-phase inductive power transfer system for Roadway-Powered Vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 6, 3370-3378, Dec. 2007.
8. Huh, J., S. W. Lee, W. Y. Lee, G. H. Cho, and C. T. Rim, "Narrow-width inductive power transfer system for online electrical vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 26, No. 12, 3666-3679, Dec. 2011.
9. Budhia, M., J. T. Boys, G. A. Covic, and C. Huang, "Development of a single-sided flux magnetic coupler for electric vehicle IPT charging systems," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 1, 318-328, Jan. 2013.
10. Zaheer, A., G. A. Covic, and D. Kacprzak, "A bipolar pad in a 10-kHz 300-W distributed IPT system for AGV applications ," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 7, 3288-3301, Jul. 2014.
11. Beh, H. Z. Z., G. A. Covic, and J. T. Boys, "Investigation of magnetic couplers in bicycle kickstands for wireless charging of electric bicycles," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 3, No. 1, 87-100, Mar. 2015.
12. Covic, G. A. and J. T. Boys, "Modern trends in inductive power transfer for transportation applications ," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 1, No. 1, 28-41, Mar. 2013.
13. Yang, G., et al., "Interoperability improvement for wireless electric vehicle charging system using adaptive phase-control transmitter," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 41365-41379, 2019.
14. Choi, S. Y., S. Y. Jeong, E. S. Lee, B. W. Gu, S.W. Lee, and C. T. Rim, "Generalized models on self-decoupled dual pick-up coils for large lateral tolerance," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 30, No. 11, 6434-6445, Nov. 2015.
15. Bosshard, R., U. Iruretagoyena, and J. W. Kolar, "Comprehensive evaluation of rectangular and double-D coil geometry for 50 kW/85 kHz IPT system," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1406-1415, Dec. 2016.
16. Paul, C. R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2006.
17. Kim, S., H. Park, J. Kim, J. Kim, and S. Ahn, "Design and analysis of a resonant reactive shield for a wireless power electric vehicle," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1057-1066, Apr. 2014.