A rectangular Dielectric Resonator Antenna (DRA) four element Multiple in Multiple Out (MIMO) is proposed for 5G application, and each element is supplied with slot-coupled microstrip feed. The entire construction has a dimension of 20 mm × 40 mm. Four Dielectric Resonators are mounted exactly above the slot. In order to improve the isolation, metamaterial is printed on top of the dielectric resonators, which move away the solidest coupling fields. As the metamaterial structure interacts with the electromagnetic fields, field distributions are disturbed which results in reduction of coupled fields. Since the metamaterials are printed on top of the dielectric resonator, the proposed antenna structure has simplest and compact design. The proposed structure is operating with an impedance bandwidth of 2.23 GHz with operating range from 26.71 GHz to 28.91 GHz, which covers the 28 GHz (27.5 GHz-28.35 GHz) band allotted by Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for 5G application. With all four-port excitation, the proposed structure shows a broadside radiation pattern with gain above 7 dBi in the entire operating bands. The Envelope Correlation Coefficient (ECC) for operating bands is within the target value. They are designed and fabricated to validate the proposed antenna. The simulated and measured values are nearly equal, which means that the proposed MIMO DRA is the right choice for mm-Wave 5G implementation.
2. Hong, W., "Solving the 5G mobile antenna puzzle: Assessing future directions for the 5G mobile antenna paradigm shift," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 18, No. 7, 86-102, Nov.–Dec. 2017.
3. Hong, W., et al., "Multibeam antenna technologies for 5G wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 12, 6231-6249, Dec. 2017.
4. Yang, X., Y. Liu, Y. X. Xu, and S. X. Gong, "Isolation enhancement in patch antenna array with fractal UC-EBG structure and cross slot," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2175-2178, 2017.
5. Wu, C. H., C. L. Chiu, and T. G. Ma, "Very compact fully lumped decoupling network for a coupled two-element array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 158-161, 2016.
6. Zhang, S. and G. F. Pedersen, "Mutual coupling reduction for UWB MIMO antennas with a wideband neutralization line," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 166-169, 2016.
7. Farahani, H. S., M. Veysi, M. Kamyab, and A. Tadjalli, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays using a UC-EBG superstrate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 57-59, 2010.
8. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, 1st Ed., Artech House, Boston, 2007.
9. Hussain, M. T., O. Hammi, M. S. Sharawi, S. K. Podilchak, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A dielectric resonator based millimeter-wave MIMO antenna array for hand-held devices," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 3-4, Jul. 2015.
4. Hussain, M. T., M. S. Sharawi, S. Podilchack, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Closely packed millimeter-wave MIMO antenna arrays with dielectric resonator elements," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, Apr. 2016.
11. Sharawi, M. S., "Printed multi-band MIMO antenna systems and their performance metrics [wireless corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 5, 218-232, Oct. 2013.
12. Sharawi, M. S., S. K. Podilchak, M. T. Hussain, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Dielectric resonator based MIMO antenna system enabling millimetre-wave mobile devices," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 2, 287-293, 2017.
13. Hsu, Y. W., T. C. Huang, H. S. Lin, and Y. C. Lin, "Dual polarized quasi Yagi-Uda antennas with endfire radiation for millimeter-wave MIMO terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 12, 6282-6289, 2017.
14. Wang, H., "Quasi-Yagi antenna array with modified folded dipole driver for mmWave 5G cellular devices," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 5, 971-975, Jun. 2019.
15. Gupta, S., et al., "Mutual coupling reduction using metasurface corrugations for 28 GHz MIMO applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2763-2766, 2017.
16. Wani, Z., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "A 28-GHz antenna for 5G MIMO applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 78, 73-79, 2018.
17. Idrees Magray, M., G. S. Karthikeya, K. Muzaffar, and S. K. Koul, "Corner bent integrated design of 4G LTE and mmWave 5G antennas for mobile terminals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 84, 167-175, 2019.
18. Iqbal, A., A. Basir, A. Smida, N. K. Mallat, I. Elfergani, J. Rodriguez, and S. Kim, "Electromagnetic bandgap backed millimeter-wave MIMO antenna for wearable applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 111135-111144, 2019.
19. Hu, N., W. Xie, Q. Zeng, J. Liu, L. Zhao, and S. Liu, "A dual-polarized broadband horn antenna for mm-wave 5G application," 2019 Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), 1-2, IEEE, 2019.
20. Zhang, Y., J. Y. Deng, M. J. Li, D. Sun, and L. X. Guo, "A MIMO dielectric resonator antenna with improved isolation for 5G mm-wave applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 4, 747-751, Feb. 2019.
21. Sharawi, M. S., "Current misuses and future prospects for printed multiple-input, multiple-output antenna systems [wireless corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 2, 162-170, Apr. 2017.
22. Iqbal, A., A. Bouazizi, S. Kundu, I. Elfergani, and J. Rodriguez, "Dielectric resonator antenna with top loaded parasitic strip elements for dual-band operation," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 61, 2134-2140, 2019.
23. Sharma, A., A. Sarkar, A. Biswas, and M. Jaleel Akhtar, "Compact dual-band hybrid dielectric resonator antenna loaded with magnetic-LC resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1298-1305, Jul. 3, 2018.
24. Mongia, R. K., "Theoretical and experimental resonant frequencies of rectangular dielectric resonators," IEE Proceedings H — Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 139, No. 1, 98-104, 1992.