A compact microstrip fed dual polarized Ultra Wide Band (UWB) monopole Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna for access point application in Wireless Body Area Networks (WBAN) is proposed. The antenna is elliptically polarized in the 6 to 10.6 GHz band. The proposed structure possesses high isolation with the introduction of Modified Serpentine Structure (MSS) that behaves as a decoupling unit (DU). To further reduce the coupling and to improve the impedance bandwidth, an Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) structure is introduced. The proposed antenna has a wide impedance bandwidth with S11 < -10 dB in the UWB from 3.1-10.6 GHz and has a high isolation S21 < -25 dB. The antenna has a fractional bandwidth of 106%. The radiation pattern of the antenna is omnidirectional. The Envelope Correlation Coefficient (ECC) is equal to zero, and the capacity loss is 0.264 which proves the diversity characteristics of the proposed antenna.
2. Sipal, D., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Easily extendable compact planar UWB MIMO antenna array," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2328-2331, 2017.
3. Saxena, S., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, S. Kumar, and R. Tiwari, "A compact microstrip fed dual polarised multiband antenna for IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 72, 95-103, 2017.
4. Rahim, S. A., S. Danesh, U. A. Okonkwo, M. Sabran, and M. Khalily, "UWB monopole antenna with circular polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 4, 949-953, 2012.
5. Mathur, R. and D. Santanu, "8-port multibeam planar UWB-MIMO antenna with pattern and polarisation diversity," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 13, 2297-2302, 2019.
6. Ghimire, J., K.-W. Choi, and D.-Y. Choi, "Bandwidth enhancement and mutual coupling reduction using a notch and a parasitic structure in a UWB-MIMO antenna," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2019, No. 5, 1-9, 2019.
7. Thakur, E., N. Jaglan, and S. D. Gupta, "Design of compact UWB MIMO antenna with enhanced bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 97, 83-94, 2019.
8. Zhang, J. and Z. Shen, "Dual-band shared-aperture UHF/UWB RFID reader antenna of circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 8, 3886-3893, 2018.
9. Nikhare, N. P., P. N. Shinde, and J. P. Shinde, "Circularly polarized MIMO monopole antenna with Defected Ground Structure for S-band application," 2016 International Conference on Computing Communication Control and automation (ICCUBEA), 1-4, IEEE, 2016.
10. Haghparast, A. H. and G. Dadashzadeh, "A dual band polygon shaped CPW-fed planar monopole antenna with circular polarization and isolation enhancement for MIMO applications," 2015 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, IEEE, 2015.
11. Gao, X. and Z. Shen, "UHF/UWB tag antenna of circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 9, 3794-3802, 2016.
12. Rahim, S. A., S. Danesh, U. A. Okonkwo, M. Sabran, and M. Khalily, "UWB monopole antenna with circular polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 4, 949-953, 2012.
13. Li, G., H. Zhai, T. Li, L. Li, and C. Liang, "A compact ultra wideband antenna with triple-sense circular polarization," 2013 Proceedings of the International Symposium on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, 531-534, IEEE, 2013.
14. El-Hameed, A. S. A., D. A. Salem, E. A. Abdallah, and E. A. Hashish, "Ultra wide band cpw-fed circularly polarized square slot antenna," 2013 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 3-4, IEEE, 2013.
15. Gulam Nabi Alsath, M. and M. Kanagasabai, "Compact UWB monopole antenna for automotive communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 9, 4204-4208, 2015.
16. Diblanc, M., E. Rodes, E. Arnaud, M. Thevenot, T. Monediere, and B. Jecko, "Circularly polarized metallic EBG antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 638-640, 2005.
17. Puente, C., J. Romeu, R. Pous, J. Ramis, and A. Hijazo, "Small but long Koch fractal monopole," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 1, 9-10, 1998.
18. Pele, I., A. Chousseaud, and S. Toutain, "Simultaneous modeling of impedance and radiation pattern antenna for UWB pulse modulation," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2004. IEEE, Vol. 2, 1871-1874, IEEE, 2004.
19. Zhou, H.-J., B.-H. Sun, Q.-Z. Liu, and J.-Y. Deng, "Implementation and investigation of U-shaped aperture UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 24, No. 1, 387-1388, 2008.
20. Shrivishal, T., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "A compact Koch fractal UWB MIMO antenna with WLAN band-rejection," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1565-1568, 2015.
21. Shrivishal, T., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "A compact octagonal shaped fractal UWB MIMO antenna with 5.5 GHz band-notch characteristics," IEEE International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 178-181, IEEE, 2014.
22. Zhang, J.-Y., F. Zhang, W.-P. Tian, and Y.-L. Luo, "ACS-fed UWB-MIMO antenna with shared radiator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 17, 1301-130, 2015.
23. Luo, C.-M., J.-S. Hong, and L.-L. Zhong, "Isolation enhancement of a very compact UWB-MIMO slot antenna with two defected ground structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1766-1769, 2015.