In this paper, an eight-port antenna array operating in the 2.6 GHz band (2550-2650 MHz) for a multi-input multi-output (MIMO) mobile terminal is presented. The design is composed of four pairs of compact dual-polarized slot antennas that are symmetrically placed at the corners of a mobile-phone mainboard. Each antenna pair consists of miniaturized petal-shaped slot resonators fed by two independent microstrip-feeding lines, thus facilitating radiation pattern and polarization diversity: when acting together, they facilitate multi-channel MIMO operation. The design offers good isolation, dual polarization and full radiation coverage in a smartphone sized package. A low-cost FR-4 dielectric (ε = 4.4, δ = 0.02, and h = 0.8 mm) with a dimension of 75×150 mm2 is used as the PCB substrate. The characteristics of the smartphone antenna are examined using both simulations and measurements.
2. Yang, H. H. and Y. Q. S. Quel, "Massive MIMO meets small cell," Springer Briefs in Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2017, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-43715-6 2.
3. Li, M.-Y., et al., "Tri-polarized 12-antenna MIMO array for future 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 6160-6170, 2018.
4. Park, J.-D., M. Rahman, and H. N. Chen, "Isolation enhancement of wide-band MIMO array antennas utilizing resistive loading," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 8120-8126, 2019.
5. Ojaroudi, N. and N. Ghadimi, "Design of CPW-fed slot antenna for MIMO system applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 1278-1281, 2014.
6. Jensen, M. and J. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for MIMO wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 2810-2824, 2004.
7. Thrane, J., et al., "Comparison of empirical and ray-tracing models for mobile Communication systems at 2.6GHz," 2019 IEEE 90th Vehicular Technology Conference, Honolulu, HI, USA, Sept. 22-25, 2019.
8. Li, M.-Y., et al., "Eight-port dual polarized MIMO antenna for 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Asia Pacific Conf. on Antennas and Propagation, 195-196, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Jul. 26-29, 2016.
9. Nikolikj, V. and T. Janevski, "A comparative cost-capacity modeling of wireless heterogeneous networks, implemented within the 0.7 GHz, 2.6GHz, 5 GHz and 28 GHz bands," Proc. Int. Conf. Ultra-wideband, 489-494, Sept. 2014.
10. Elfergani, I. T. E., et al., Antenna Fundamentals for Legacy Mobile Applications and Beyond, 1-659, Springer Nature, Sept. 2017.
11. Parchin, N. O., et al., "Frequency reconfigurable antenna array with compact end-fire radiators for 4G/5G mobile handsets," IEEE 5G World Forum, Dresden, Germany, Sept. 30-Oct. 2, 2019.
12. Sharawi, M. S., Printed MIMO Antenna Engineering, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2014.
13. Zhang, Z., Antenna Design for Mobile Devices, Wiley-IEEE Press, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2011.
14. Ojaroudi, N., H. Ojaroudi, and N. Ghadimi, "Quad-band Planar Inverted-F Antenna (PIFA) for wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 45, 51-56, 2014.
15. Ojaroudi, Y., et al., "Circularly polarized microstrip slot antenna with a pair of spur-shaped slits for WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 756-759, 2015.
16. Zhao, X., S. P. Yeo, and L. C. Ong, "Decoupling of inverted-F antennas with high-order modes of ground plane for 5G mobile MIMO platform," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, 4485-4495, 2018.
17. Li, M.-Y., et al., "Tri-polarized 12-antenna MIMO array for future 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 6160-6170, 2018.
18. Parchin, N. O., et al., "Dual-polarized MIMO antenna array design using miniaturized self-complementary structures for 5G smartphone applications," EuCAP Conference, Krakow, Poland, Mar. 31-Apr. 5, 2019.
19. Abdullah, M., Y.-L. Ban, K. Kang, M.-Y. Li, and M. Amin, "Eight-element antenna array at 3.5 GHz for MIMO wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 78, 209-217, 2017.
20., CST Microwave Studio, ver. 2018, CST, Framingham, MA, USA, 2018.
21. Valizade, A., "Band-notch slot antenna with enhanced bandwidth by using Ω-shaped strips protruded inside rectangular slots for UWB applications," Appl. Comput. Electromagn. Soc. (ACES) J., Vol. 27, 816-822, 2012.
22. Parchin, N. O., et al., "8 × 8 MIMO antenna system with coupled-fed elements for 5G handsets," The IET Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APC), Birmingham, UK, Nov. 11-12, 2019.
23. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Tapered fed compact UWB MIMO-diversity antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 4, 1677-1684, Apr. 2018.
24. Ojaroudi, N., "Small microstrip-fed slot antenna with frequency band-stop function," 21th Telecommunications Forum, TELFOR 2013, Belgrade, Serbia, Nov. 27-28, 2013.
25. Ojaroudi, N., "Design of microstrip antenna for 2.4/5.8GHz RFID applications," German Microwave Conference, GeMic 2014, RWTH Aachen University, Germany, Mar. 10-12, 2014.
26. Sun, L., H. Feng, Y. Li, and Z. Zhang, "Compact 5G MIMO mobile phone antennas with tightly arranged orthogonal-mode pairs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, 6364-6369, 2018.
27. Larsson, E., "Massive MIMO for next generation wireless systems," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 52, 186-195, 2014.
28. Ojaroudi, N., et al., "Enhanced bandwidth of small square monopole antenna by using inverted Ushaped slot and conductor-backed plane," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Journal, Vol. 27, No. 8, 685-690, Aug. 2012.
29. Ali, W. A. E. and A. A. Ibrahim, "A compact double-sided MIMO antenna with an improved isolation for UWB applications," AEU Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 82, 7-13, 2017.
30. Khan, R., et al., "User influence on mobile terminal antennas: A review of challenges and potential solution for 5G antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 77695-77715, 2018.