This paper presents the design and analysis of a dual-band circularly polarized (CP) microstrip patch antenna for WLAN and vehicular communication applications. In this antenna, an L-shaped slot is cut, and a square parasitic patch with diagonally opposite corners cut is loaded in offset beneath to monopole antenna to realize dual band CP response with wideband response. The antenna exhibits dual band CP response at 2.45 GHz (WLAN) and 5.9 GHz (Vehicular) having 20.45% and 15.73% of simulated impedance bandwidth and 6.84% and 14.16% of axial ratio bandwidth for WLAN and Vehicular band respectively. The measured impedance bandwidth (S11 < -10 dB) is 19.43% and 12.73% for WLAN and vehicular band respectively. The antenna design is simple and fabricated using an economical glass epoxy FR4 substrate with size of 45 × 40 mm2. The measured results are found in good agreement with simulated results. The proposed antenna is analyzed using transmission line equivalent circuits, and the details are presented and discussed.
2. Uhlemann, E., "Connected-vehicles applications are emerging," IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, 25-28, Mar. 2016.
3. Viriyasitavat, W., M. Boban, H.-M. Tsai, and A. V. Vasilakos, "Vehicular communications-survey and challenges of channel and propgation modes," IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, 55-66, Jun. 2015.
4. Wong, H., K. K. So, and X. Gao, "Bandwidth enhancement of a monopolar patch antenna with V-shaped slot for car-to-car and WLAN communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 65, No. 3, 1130-1136, Mar. 2016.
5. Hao, H., J. Li, D. Huang, and d W. Luo, "Design of hexagon microstrip antenna for vehicle-to-vehicle communication," The Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 69-76, 2016.
6. Mondal, T., S. Samanta, R. Ghatak, and S. R. Bhadra Chaudhari, "A novel tri-band hexagonal microstrip patch antenna using modified Sierpinski fractal for vehicular communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 57, 25-34, 2015.
7. Ijiguchi, T., D. Kanemoto, K. Yoshitomi, K. Yoshida, A. Ishikawa, S. Fukagawa, N. Kodama, A. Tahira, and H. Kamaya, "Circularly polarized one-sided directional slot antenna with reflector metal for 5.8-GHz DSRC operations," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 778-781, 2014.
8. Lee, D.-H., D.-W. Chung, E.-G. Kim, and S. Pyo, "Circular polarization agile microstrip antenna for wireless access in vehicular environments," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 10, 2310-2313, 2014.
9. Leonardi, O., M. G. Pavone, G. Sorbello, A. F. Morabito, and T. Isernia, "Compact single layer circularly polarized antenna for short range communication system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 8, 1843-1846, 2014.
10. Sim, C. Y. D. and B. H. Yang, "A single layer dual-band CP microstrip antenna for GPS and DSRC applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 529-539, 2009.
11. Donelli, M. and F. Robol, "Circularly polarized monopole hook antenna for ISM band systems," Microwave and Optical Technology Lettters, Vol. 60, 1452-1454, 2018.
12. Donelli, M., T. Moriyama, and M. Manekiya, "A compact switched-beam planar antenna array for wireless sensors operating at Wi-Fi band," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 83, 137-145, 2018.
13. Donelli, M. and P. Febvre, "An inexpensive reconfigurable planar array for Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012.
14. Gao, S., Q. Luo, and F. Zhu, Circularly Polarized Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2004.
15. Altair’s Hyperworks CAD FEKO, Altair Engineering Inc., , USA.
16. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2008.
17. Moradikordalivand, A., T. A. Rahman, S. Ebrahimi, and S. Hakimi, "An equivalent circuit model for broadband modified rectangular microstrip-fed monopole antenna," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 77, 1363-1375, 2014.
18. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2000.
19. Ansari, J. A., S. K. Dubey, and A. Mishra, "Analysis of half E-shaped patch for wideband application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1576-1579, 2009.