In this paper, a dual notch Ultra Wideband (UWB) monopole antenna with compact dimensions of 37.8×27.1×1.6 mm3 is presented. Octagon patch with defected ground structure is used to attain the wide frequency range of 3.17 GHz-11.61 GHz with ultra-wide impedance bandwidth of 8.33 GHz. The band notch characteristics in WiMAX (3.2 GHz-3.67 GHz) and WLAN (4.32 GHz-5.81 GHz) bands are achieved using inverted pi-slot in the radiating element and a pair of double split ring resonators (DSRRs) on either sides of the feed respectively. Reconfigurability in the bands is obtained by using BAR64-02 pin diodes switching at the appropriate placement in the antenna structure. The proposed antenna exhibits efficiency of 88% in operating and 20% in non-operating frequencies. The proposed antenna is designed, simulated and optimized using HFSS 19 electromagnetic tool. The measured results are tested using combinational analyzer in chamber with antenna measurement setup for validation and found in good matching with simulation.
2. Costantine, J., Y. Tawk, S. E. Barbin, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable antennas: Design and applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 3, 424-437, Mar. 2015.
3. Christodoulou, C. G., Y. Tawk, S. A. Lane, and S. R. Erwin, "Reconfigurable antennas for wireless and space applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2250-2261, Jul. 2012.
4. Di Benedetto, M.-G., T. Kaiser, A. F. Molish, I. Oppermann, C. Politano, and D. Porcino, UWB Communication Systems: A Comprehensive Overview, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2006.
5. Li, Y., S. Luo, and W. Yu, "A compact tunable triple stop-band filter based on different defected microstrip structures," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 33, No. 7, Jul. 2018.
6. Öznazı, V. and V. B. Ertürk, "A comparative investigation of SRR and CSRR based band reject filters: Simulations, experiments, and discussions," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 2, 519-523, Feb. 2008.
7. Zhao, D., L. Lan, Y. Han, F. Liang, Q. Zhang, and B.-Z.Wang, "Optically controlled reconfigurable band notched UWB antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 21, 1502-1504, Nov. 1, 2014.
8. Khandelwal, M. K., B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Kumar, "Defected ground structure: Fundamentals, analysis, and applications in modern wireless trends," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 1-22, 2017.
9. Alhegazi, A., Z. Zakaria, N. A. Shairi, A. Salleh, and S. Ahmed, "Compact UWB filtering-antenna with controllable WLAN band rejection using defected microstrip structure," Radio Engineering, Vol. 27, 110-117, 2018.
10. Awad, N. and M. Abdelazeez, "Multislot microstrip antenna for ultra-wide band applications," Journal of King Saud University --- Engineering Sciences, Vol. 30, No. 1, 38-45, 2015.
11. Tripathi, S., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "A compact fractal UWB antenna with reconfigurable band notch functions," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 3, 509-514, Mar. 2016.
12. Tripathi, S., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "A compact UWB antenna with dual 3.5/5.5GHz band-notched characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 3, 551-556, 2015.
13. Ajetrao, K. V. and A. P. Dhande, "Phi shape UWB antenna with band notch characteristics," Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research, Vol. 8, No. 4, 3121-3125, 2018.
14. Shirazi, M., J. Huang, T. Li, and X. Gong, "A switchable-frequency slot-ring antenna element for designing a reconfigurable array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 2, 229-233, Feb. 2018.
15. Shirazi, M., T. Li, and X. Gong, "Effects of PIN diode switches on the performance of the reconfigurable slot-ring antenna," IEEE 16th Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), 3, Cocoa Beach, FL, 2015.
16. Ojaroudi, Y., S. Ojaroudi Parchin, and N. Ojaroudi Parchin, "A novel 5.5/7.5 GHz dual band-stop antenna with modified ground plane for UWB communications," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 81, 319-332, 2014.
17. Tang, M. C., H. Wang, T. Deng, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Compact planar ultra-wideband antennas with continuously tunable, independent band-notched filters," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3292-3301, 2016.
18. Lin, Y., J. Liang, G. Wu, Z. Xu, and X. Niu, "A novel UWB antenna with dual band notched characteristics," Frequenz, Vol. 69, No. 11-12, 479-483, 2015.
19. Deng, J., S. Hou, L. Zhao, and L. Guo, "A reconfigurable filtering antenna with integrated bandpass filters for UWB/WLAN applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 1, 401-404, Jan. 2018.
20. Badamchi, B., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and A. V. Shahmirzadi, "Design of compact reconfigurable ultra-wideband slot antenna with switchable single/dual band notch functions," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 8, 541-548, Jun. 4, 2014.
21. Tasouji, N., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and F. Tofigh, "A noval printed UWB slot antenna with reconfigurable band-notch characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 922-925, 2013.
22. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2016.
23. Isernia, T. and A. F. Morabito, "Mask-constrained power synthesis of linear arrays with even excitations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 7, 3212-3217, 2016.