The purpose of this work is to miniaturize a rectangular patch antenna which resonates at 2.4 GHz. To achieve this, we present a new geometry of a pi-shaped slot with three annular rings as a Defected Ground Structure (DGS). DGS is a periodic etched structure or a periodic sequence of configurations, and it has been used to switch the resonance frequency from starting value 13 GHz to an ending value at 2.4 GHz without any changes in the areas of the actual rectangular microstrip patch antenna (RMPA). The proposed antenna is structured on an FR-4 substrate with thickness 1.6 mm and permittivity 4.4. The general size of the ground plane is 34 × 34 mm2. Using the optimal position and dimension of the pi-shaped slot on the ground, the resonant frequency is reduced to 2.4 GHz, which signifies an 81.53% decrease. Proposed antennas with and without DGS are simulated by using High-Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) and Advanced Digital System (ADS) Agilent technology, fabricated, and measured for Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) application.
2. Chai, W., X. Zhang, and J. Liu, "A novel wideband antenna design using U-slot," Journal of Electronics (China), Vol. 25, No. 2, 192-196, 2008.
3. Casu, G., C. Moraru, and A. Kovacs, "Design and implementation of microstrip patch antenna array," 2014 10th International Conference on Communications (COMM), 2014.
4. Kaur, N., N. Sharma, and N. Singh, "A study of different feeding mechanisms in microstrip patch," International Journal of Microwaves Applications, Vol. 6, No. 1, Jan.-Feb. 2017.
5. Chitra, R. L., B. R. Karthik, and V. Nagarajan, "Double L-slot microstrip patch antenna array for WiMAX and WLAN," 2012 International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing, 2012.
6. Chitra, R. J. and V. Nagarajan, "Design of double U-slot microstrip patch antenna array for WiMAX," 2012 International Conference on Green Technologies (ICGT), 2012.
7. Prasad, P. C. and N. Chattoraj, "Design of compact Ku band microstrip antenna for satellite communication," International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing, India, Apr. 3-5, 2013.
8. Dubey, S. K., S. K. Pathak, and K. K. Modh, "High gain multiple resonance Ku-band microstrip patch antenna," Applied Electromagnetic Conference (AEMC), IEEE, 2011.
9. Werner, D. H. and S. Gangul, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Anlennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, Feb. 2003.
10. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2271-2285, Jul. 2012.
11. Wu, Y. Q. and T. Fu, "The study on a patch antenna with PBG structure," Third International Symposium on Intelligent Information Technology Application, IEEE Computer Society, 2009.
12. Tirado-Mendez, J. A., M. A. Peyrot-Solis, H. Jardon-Aguilar, E. A. Andrade-Gonzalez, and M. Reyes-Ayala, "Applications of novel defected microstrip structure (DMS) in planar passive circuits," Proceedings of the 10th WSEAS International Conference on CIRCUITS, 336-369, Vouliagmeni, Athens, Greece, Jul. 10-12, 2006.
13. Wei, K., J. Y. Li, L. Wang, R. Xu, and Z. J. Xing, "A new technique to design circularly polarized microstrip antenna by fractal defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3721-3725, 2017.
14. Xie, H.-H., Y.-C. Jiao, K. Song, and B. Yang, "Miniature electromagnetic band-gap structure using spiral ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 163-170, 2010.
15. Arya, A. K., M. V. Kartikeyan, and A. Patnaik, "Efficiency enhancement of microstrip patch antennas with defected ground structure," Proceeding of International Conference on Microwave, 729-731, 2008.
16. Zulkifli, F. Y., E. T. Rahardjo, and D. Hartanto, "Mutual coupling reduction using dumbbell defected ground structure for multiband microstrip antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 29-40, 2010.
17. Nath, S. and S. Rana, "The design and development of microstrip patch antenna using simulation studies by ADS," International Journal of Electronics Signals and Systems (IJESS), Vol. 1, No. 2, 2012, ISSN No. 2231-5969.
18. Weng, L. H., Y. C. Guo, X. W. Shi, and X. Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008.
19. Guha, D., S. Biswas, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Defected ground structure for microstrip antennas," Microstrip and Printed Antennas: New Trends, Techniques and Applications, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2011, ISBN: 978-0-470-68192-3.
20. Kumar, A. and K. V. Machavaram, "Microstrip filter with defected ground structure: A close perspective," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 5, No. 5, 589-602, Aug. 2013.
21. Er-Rebyiy, R., J. Zbitou, M. Latrach, A. Tajmouati, A. Errkik, and L. El Abdellaoui, "New miniature planar microstrip antenna using DGS for ISM applications," TELKOMNIKA, Vol. 15, No. 3, 1149-1154, Sep. 2017.
22. Elftouh, H., N. A. Touhami, and M. Aghoutane, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 25-33, 2014.
23. Ghaloua, A., J. Zbitou, L. El Abdellaoui, and M. Latrach, "A miniature circular patch antenna using defected ground structure for ISM band applications," ICCWCS'17, Larache, Morocco, Nov. 14-16, 2017.
24. Oulhaj, O., N. A. Touhami, M. Aghoutane, and A. Tazon, "A miniature microstrip patch antenna array with defected ground structure," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 11, No. 1, Jan. 2016.
25. Er-Rebyiy, R., J. Zbitou, A. Tajmouati, M. Latrach, A. Errkik, and L. El Abdellaoui, "A new design of a miniature microstrip patch antenna using defected ground structure DGS," 2017 International Conference on Wireless Technologies, Embedded and Intelligent Systems (WITS), IEEE, 2017.
26. Er-Rebyiy, R., J. Zbitou, M. Latrach, A. Tajmouati, A. Errkik, and L. El Abdellaoui, "A novel design of a miniature low cost planar antenna for ISM band applications," ICCWCS'17, Larache, Morocco, Nov. 14-16, 2017.
27. Ghaloua, A., J. Zbitou, M. Latrach, and A. Tajmouati, "A novel configuration of a miniature printed antenna array based on defected ground structure," International Journal of Intelligent Engineering and Systems, Vol. 12, No. 1, 211-220, 2019.
28. Elftouh, H., N. A. Touhami, and M. Aghoutane, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with spiral defected microstrip structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 53, 37-44, 2015.
29. Huang, Y. and K. Boyle, Antennas from Theory to Practice, A John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., Publication, 2008.
30. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas Dedham, Artech House, 1980.
31. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, 2005.