This article describes multiresonance behaviour to achieve ultra-wideband (UWB) characteristics of a co-planar waveguide (CPW) fed circular patch antenna with a ground plane reflector by using fractal elements and rectangular defective ground structure (RDGS) technique. The patch consists of a circular disc with six ring type fractal elements on the periphery of the disc and slotted defective ground surface (DGS) at the bottom of an FR4_epoxy dielectric substrate to increase the antenna bandwidth. The antenna resonates at frequencies of 5.4 GHz, 9 GHz, & 10.8 GHz with return loss better than -20 dB. The proposed antenna also exhibits UWB characteristics with (≤ -10 dB) impedance bandwidth of 170.4% in the frequency range from 1.8 GHz to 11 GHz. This covers the whole UWB range from 3.1 GHz to10.6 GHz as defined by FCC. The antenna exhibits nearly omnidirectional radiation pattern and a gain ranging from 1 dBi to 6.8 dBi within the operating frequency range (1.8 GHz-11 GHz). An equivalent circuit model of the proposed antenna is developed, and the circuit response is obtained. All the measured results are found in good agreements with the simulated ones. The proposed antenna is suitable for applications in Wi-Fi, IEEE 802.11a Wireless LAN, WiMAX, ISM bands, wireless communications, etc.
2. Desai, A., T. Upadhyaya, R. Patel, S. Bhatt, and P. Mankodi, "Wideband high gain fractal antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 74, 125-130, 2018.
3. Fallahi, H. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Bandwidth enhancement of a CPW-fed monopole antenna with small fractal elements," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and communications, Vol. 69, No. 2, 590-595, 2015.
4. Tripathi, S., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "Hexagonal fractal ultra-wideband antenna using Koch geometry with bandwidth enhancement," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 15, 1445-1450, 2014.
5. Anguera, J., C. Puente, V. Borja, and J. Soler, "Fractal-shaped antennas: A review," Wiley Encycl. RF Microw. Eng., Vol. 2, 1620-1635, 2005.
6. Haji-Hashemi, M. R., M. Mir-Mohammad Sadeghi, and V. M. Moghtadai, "Space-filling patch antennas with CPW feed," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 69-73, Mar. 2006.
7. Tanweer, A., B. K. Subhash, and C. B. Rajashekhar, "A miniaturized decagonal sierpinski UWB fractal antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 84, 161-174, 2018.
8. Brar, R. S. and S. K. Sharma, "A triple-band dipole antenna for UMTS/LTE and UWB," Applications, International Journal of Electronics Letters, 2017.
9. Sharan, R. K., S. K. Sharma, A. Gupta, and R. K. Chaudhary, "An edge tapered rectangular patch antenna with parasitic stubs and slot for wideband applications," Wireless Pers. Commun., Springer Science + Business Media, New York, 2015.
10. Sarkar, D., K. V. Srivastava, and K. Saurav, "A compact microstrip-fed triple band-notched UWB monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 2014.
11. Sharma, S. K. and C.-W. Park, "A dual band-notched ultra wideband antenna using split ring resonators," 2016 URSI Asia-Pacific Radio Science Conference (URSI AP-RASC), 2016.
12. Siddiqui, J. Y., et al., "Ultra-wideband antipodal tapered slot antenna with integrated frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 3, 1534-1539, 2018.
13. Shaik, L. A., et al., "An antenna advances for cognitive radio: Introducing a multilayered split ring resonator-loaded printed ultra-wideband antenna with multifunctional characteristics," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 1, 20-33, 2018.
14. Zhang, J., T. Chen, Y. Lv, and H. Xing, "A practical CPW-fed UWB antenna with reconfigurable dual band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 81, 117-126, 2019.
15. Zhang, X.-M., J. Ma, C.-X. Li, A.-S. Ma, Q. Wang, and M.-X. Shao, "A new planar monopole UWB antenna with quad notched bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 81, 39-44, 2019.
16. Bilal, M. H., A. A. Rahim, H. Maab, and M. M. Ali, "Modified wang shaped ultra-wideband (UWB) fractal patch antenna for millimetre-wave applications," 2018 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS --- Toyama), 280-284, Japan, Aug. 1-4, 2018.
17. Guha, D., S. Biswas, and Y. M. M. Antar, Defected Ground Structure for Microstrip Antennas, in Microstrip and Printed Antennas: New Trends, Techniques and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, London, UK, 2011.
18. Khandelwal, M. K., B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Kumar, "Defected ground structure: Fundamentals, analysis, and applications in modern wireless trends," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2017, Article ID 2018527, 22 pages, 2017.
19. Park, J.-I., et al., "Modelling of a photonic band-gap and its application for the low-pass filter design," Proceedings of the Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC'99), Vol. 2, 331-334, Nov.-Dec. 1999.
20. Liu, H. W., Z. F. Li, X. W. Sun, and J. F. Mao, "An improved 1-D periodic defected ground structure for microstrip line," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 4, Apr. 2004.
21. Weng, L. H., Y. C. Guo, X. W. Shi, and X. Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008.
22. Geng, J. P., J. J. Li, R. H. Jin, S. Ye, X. L. Liang, and M. Z. Li, "The development of curved microstrip antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 53-73, 2009.
23. Kazerooni, M. and A. Cheldavi, "Design and fabrication of wide band printed multi-ring fractal antenna for commercial applications," PIERS Proceedings, Beijing, China, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
24. Meena, M. L., M. Kumar, G. Parmar, and R. S. Meena, "Design analysis and modelling of directional UWB antenna with elliptical slotted ground structure for applications in C- & X-bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 63, 193-207, 2018.
25. Pele, I., A. Chousseaud, and S. Toutain, "Simulation modelling of impedance and radiation pattern antenna for UWB pulse modulation," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 1871-1874, Jun. 2004.
26. Nashaat, D., H. A. Elsadek, E. Abdallah, H. Elhenawy, and M. F. Iskander, "Electromagnetic analyses and an equivalent circuit model of microstrip patch antenna with rectangular defected ground plane," 2009 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Charleston, SC, 2009.
27. Garg, R., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.