In this paper, the sea surface wind speeds are retrieved by using an analytical scattering model, so called the analytically-based geophysical model function (GMF), from C-band Sentinel-1A VV-polarized synthetic aperture radar (SAR) images. The analytical models accurately simulate the rough surface scattering in the incidence angles range of SARs. The accuracy of the scattering results of the models depends on the sea wave spectrum. In this work, the effect of the sea spectral models on the accuracy of the sea surface wind speed retrieving is evaluated. In this regard, for omnidirectional and directional parts of sea spectrum, the Elfouhaily/Hwang spectra and Elfouhaily/McDaniel's models are employed, respectively. The VV-polarized backscattered normalized radar cross-section (NRCS) is calculated by using the first-order small-slope approximation (SSA1) with the four composite models of the mentioned omnidirectional spectra and angular spreading functions (directional part), and the backscattering results are compared with the empirical model CMOD6. Then, from the VV-polarized Sentinel-1A SAR data in two resolutions, the wind speeds are estimated by the analytical and empirical models. The comparison of analytical models with CMOD6 shows that Hwang-Elfouhaily model is the best among the composite models. The results show that the analytical scattering models can be easily used for the sea wind speed retrieving below 20 m/s.
2. Hersbach, H., "CMOD5.N a C-band geophysical model function for equivalent neutral wind," ECMWF Technical Memorandum, 554, Technical report, ECMWF, Apr. 2008.
3. Elyouncha, A., X. Neyt, A. Stoffelen, and J. Verspeek, "Assessment of the corrected CMOD6 GMF using scatterometer data," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 9638, No. 3, 11 pages, Oct. 2015.
4. Monaldo, F., C. Jackson, X. Li, and W. G. Pichel, "Preliminary evaluation of Sentinel-1A wind speed retrievals," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Appl. Earth Observ. Remote Sens., Vol. 9, No. 6, 2638-2642, 2016.
5. La, T. V., A. Khenchaf, F. Comblet, and C. Nahum, "Exploitation of C-band Sentinel-1 images for high-resolution wind field retrieval in coastal zones (Iroise coast, France)," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Appl. Earth Observ. Remote Sens., Vol. 10, No. 12, 5458-5471, Dec. 2017.
6. Mouche, A. and B. Chapron, "Global C-band Envisat, RADARSAT-2 and Sentinel-1 SAR measurements in copolarization and cross-polarization," J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, Vol. 120, 7195-7207, 2015, doi: 10.1002/2015JC011149.
7. Lu, Y., B. Zhang, W. Perrie, A. A. Mouche, X. Li, and H. Wang, "A C-band geophysical model function for determining coastal wind speed using synthetic aperture radar," IEEE J. Sel. Topics Appl. Earth Observ. Remote Sens., Vol. 11, No. 7, 2417-2428, 2018.
8. Miret, D., G. Soriano, and M. Saillard, "Rigorous simulations of microwave scattering from finite conductivity two-dimensional sea surfaces at low grazing angles," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 52, No. 6, 3150-3158, Jun. 2014.
9. Hastings, F. D., J. B. Schneider, and S. L. Broschat, "A Monte-Carlo FDTD technique for rough surface scattering," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 43, No. 11, 1183-1191, Nov. 1995.
10. Tsang, L., J. A. Kong, and K. H. Ding, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves, Vol. 1: Theory and Applications, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2000.
11. Tsang, L. and J. A. Kong, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves, Vol. 3: Advanced Topics, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2001.
12. Yang, X., Y. Du, Z. Li, and K. S. Chen, "Investigation of bistatic radar scattering from sea surfaces with breaking waves," 2017 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2017.
13. Soriano, G. and C. A. Guerin, "A cutoff invariant two-scale model in electromagnetic scattering from sea surfaces," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 2, 199-203, Apr. 2008.
14. McDaniel, S. T., "Small-slope predictions of microwave backscatter from the sea surface," Waves in Random Media, Vol. 11, No. 3, 343-360, 2001, doi: 10.1080/13616670109409789.
15. Voronovich, A. G., "Small-slope approximation for electromagnetic wave scattering at a rough interface of two dielectric half-spaces," Waves in Random Media, Vol. 4, No. 3, 337-367, Jul. 1994.
16. Voronovich, A. G. and V. U. Zavorotny, "Theoretical model for scattering of radar signals in Ku- and C-bands from a rough sea surface with breaking waves," Waves in Random Media, Vol. 11, No. 3, 247-269, 2001.
17. Bourlier, C. and N. Pinel, "Numerical implementation of local unified models for backscattering from random rough sea surfaces," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 19, No. 3, 455-479, Aug. 2009.
18. Voronovich, A. G. and V. U. Zavorotny, "Full-polarization modeling of monostatic and bistatic radar scattering from a rough sea surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1362-1371, Mar. 2014.
19. Nouguier, F., C. A. Guerin, and B. Chapron, "Scattering from nonlinear gravity waves: The “Choppy wave” model," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 12, 4184-4192, Dec. 2010.
20. Li, X. and X. Xu, "Scattering and Doppler spectral analysis for two-dimensional linear and nonlinear sea surfaces," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 2, 603-611, Feb. 2011.
21. Apel, J. R., "An improved model of the ocean surface wave vector spectrum and its effects on radar backscatter," J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, Vol. 99, 16269-16291, 1994.
22. Romeiser, R., W. Alpers, and V. Wismann, "An improved composite surface model for the radar backscattering cross section of the ocean surface: 1. Theory of the model and optimization/validation by scatterometer data," J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, Vol. 102, 25237-25250, 1997.
23. Elfouhaily, T., B. Chapron, K. Katsaros, and D. Vandemark, "A unified directional spectrum for long and short wind-driven waves," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 102, No. C7, 15781-15796, Jul. 15, 1997.
24. Hwang, P. A., "Observations of swell influence on ocean surface roughness," J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, Vol. 113, C12024, 2008.
25. Hwang, P. A., "A note on the ocean surface roughness spectrum," J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol., Vol. 28, 436-443, 2011.
26. Hwang, P. A., D. M. Burrage, D. W. Wang, and J. C. Wesson, "Ocean surface roughness spectrum in high wind condition for microwave backscatter and emission computations," J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol., Vol. 30, 2168-2188, 2013.
27. Hwang, P. A. and F. Fois, "Surface roughness and breaking wave properties retrieved from polarimetric microwave radar backscattering," J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, Vol. 120, 3640-3657, 2015.
28. Ellison, W., A. Balana, G. Delbos, K. Lamkaouchi, L. Eymard, C. Guillou, and C. Prigent, "New permittivity measurements of seawater," Radio Sci., Vol. 33, 639-648, 1998.
29. [Online], Available: https://scihub.copernicus.eu/dhus/#/home,.