A miniaturized planar ultra-wideband (UWB) polygon-slot antenna with wideband-notched property is presented in this paper. With coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed structure and miniaturized dimensions of 18.5×20.5 mm2, the antenna is easy to be integrated with microwave circuitry. By using one rectangular CSRR on rectangular patch, the WLAN band from 4.8 to 5.9 GHz is rejected. By cutting off two small rectangles in the lower corners of the rectangular patch, Antenna 2 is finally proposed, and UWB impedance matching from 3.1 to 12.6 GHz is achieved. The final proposed antenna is fabricated on a low-cost FR4 substrate and measured, and the measured and simulated results show an acceptable agreement. The antenna is validated to perform good radiation properties such as nearly stable radiation patterns, high gain, and high radiation efficiency.
2. Islam, M. M., et al., "A miniaturized antenna with negative index metamaterial based on modified SRR and CLS unit cell for UWB microwave imaging applications," Materials, Vol. 8, No. 2, 392-407, Feb. 2015.
3. Gupta, A. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact CPW-fed wideband metamaterial antenna with EBG loading," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 11, 2632-2636, Nov. 2015.
4. Sidiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact SRR loaded UWB circular monopole antenna with frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 8, 4015-4020, Aug. 2014.
5. Sidiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact dual-SRR-loaded UWB monopole antenna with dual frequency and wideband notch characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 100-103, 2015.
6. Sarkar, M., S. Dwari, and A. Daniel, "Printed monopole antenna for ultra-wideband application with tunable triple band-notched characteristics," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 84, 2943-2954, 2015.
7. Zhang, Y., et al., "Planar ultrawideband antennas with multiple notched bands based on etched slots on the patch and/or split ring resonators on the feed line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 3063-3068, Sep. 2008.
8. Li, L., Z. L. Zhou, Z. S. Hong, and B. Z. Wang, "Compact dual-band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with modified SRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 17, Aug. 2011.
9. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Compact tapered-shape slot antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1190-1193, 2011.
10. Eshtiaghi, R., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Electromagnetically coupled band-notched elliptical monopole antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1397-1402, Apr. 2010.
11. Ellis, M. S., et al., "Small planar monopole ultra-wideband antenna with reduced ground plane effect," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, 1028-1034, 2015.
12. Chu, Q.-X. and Y.-Y. Yang, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with 3.4 ∼ 5.5GHz dual bandnotched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, Dec. 2008.
13. Lin, Y.-C. and K.-J. Hung, "Compact ultrawideband rectangular aperture antenna and bandnotched designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3075-3081, Nov. 2006.
14. Chakraborty, M., S. Pal, and N. Chottoraj, "Realization of high performance compact CPW-fed planar UWB antenna using higher order asymmetry for practical applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 2, 2515-2519, 2016.
15. Sze, J. Y. and K. L. Wong, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, 1020-1024, 2001.
16. Shrikanth Reddy, G., A. Kamma, S. K. Mishra, and J. Mukherjee, "Compact bluetooth/UWB dual-band planar antenna with quadruple band-notch characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 872-875, 2014.
17. Narbudowicz, A., M. John, V. Sipal, X. Bao, and M. J. Ammann, "Design method for wideband circularly polarized slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 10, 4271-4279, 2015.
18. Xu, B., Y. Zhao, Y. Zheng, and L. Gu, "Compact UWB slot antenna with wideband-notched characteristics based on rectangular SRR," 2016 5th IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Conference Proceedings, 29-30, Feb. 2017.
19. Pendry, J. B., et al., "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Micr. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, Nov. 1999.
20. Smith, D. R. and S. Schultz, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phy. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 195104, 2002.
21. Smith, D. R., D. C. Vier, Th. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 71, 036617, 2005.
22. Chen, X., et al., "Robust method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 70, 016608, 2004.