A mixed phased array and retrodirective array providing auto tracking of the angular position of the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) is presented. The phase conjugation technique and complex vector multiplication are used together to find the geometric phase of each channel canceling the need to use direction finding algorithm (DOA). After generating the phase conjugated version of the received signal on each channel, its complex vector representation will be multiplied by the complex vector representation of the received signal on the reference channel. The UAV will stay on the beak of the array factor during its movement within the field of view (FOV), and a permanent high gain data link is obtained without the need of the tracking algorithm. The beamwidth of the resulted array is widened to be equal to the FOV. The computational cost of the tracking system will be reduced due to canceling the need of using the complex processing algorithms (DOA, and tracking) used in smart antenna. Direction finding algorithm, beamforming algorithm, and tracking algorithm are combined in one algorithm. The least square error pattern synthesis with nulls method is used to eliminate the predefined interference signals and add null steering ability to the resulted array. The effect of the phase errors is reduced to the case of single antenna due to including the phase errors of each channel in its complex weights. The beam pointing error is taken as a metric to evaluate the performance of the resulted array compared with the BPE of a phased array using the monopulse tracking method.
2. Dimc, F. and T. Magister, "Mini UAV communication link systems," Conference: ICTS 2006, International Conference on Traffic Science, December 2006.
3. Valavanis, K. P. and G. J. Vachtsevanos, Handbook of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Editors, SpringerScience+BusinessMediaDordrecht, 2015.
4. Sharma, R. K. and B. B. Soni, "Analysis of a radar system for UAV tracking using MATLAB," International Journal of Engineering and Technical Research (IJETR), Vol. 7, No. 6, ISSN: 2321-0869 (O) 2454-4698 (P), June 2017.
5. Yeh, S. Y., "Development of a digital tracking array with single-channel RSNS and monopulse digital beamforming,", Naval Postgraduate School, Master’s Thesis, December 2010.
6. Dalbakk, L.-E., "Antenna system for tracking of unmanned aerial vehicle,", Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Master’s Thesis, June 2014.
7. Fulton, C., M. Yeary, D. Thompson, J. Lake, and A. Mitchell, "Digital phased arrays: Challenges and opportunities," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 4, No. 1, March 2016.
8. Uchendu, I. and J. Kelly, "Survey of beam steering techniques available for millimeter wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 68, 35-54, 2016.
9. Foutz, J., A. Spanias, and M. K. Banavar, Narrowband Direction of Arrival Estimation for Antenna Arrays, Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2008.
10. Khmou, Y., S. Safi, and M. Frikel, "Comparative study between several direction of arrival estimation methods," Journal Of Telecommunications and Information Technology, 2014.
11. Van Trees, H. L., Optimum Array Processing. Part IV of Detection, Estimation, and Modulation Theory, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New York, 2002.
12. Mailloux, R. J., Phased Array Antenna Handbook, 2nd Edition, Artech House Antennas and Propagation Library, 2005.
13. Gouri, N. N., N. Tiwari, and T. R. Rao, "An overview on beamforming and its issues for 60GHz wireless communications," ITSI Transactions on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ITSITEEE), Vol. 1, No. 4, 2320-8945, ISSN (PRINT), 2013.
14. Hohne, T. and V. Ranki, "Phase noise in beamforming," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 9, No. 12, December 2010.
15. Sri Kavya, K. C., S. K. Kotamraju, B. N. Kumar, M. D. N. S. Mounika, S. Singh, and A. Sidda, "Beam pointing accuracy of phased arrays for satellite communication," Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, Vol. 95, No. 10, May 2017.
16. Siu, M. C. L., "Effects of local oscillator errors on digital beamforming,", Naval Postgraduate School, Master’s Thesis, March 2016.
17. Bakr, O. and M. Johnson, "Impact of phase and amplitude errors on array performance,", Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences University of California at Berkeley, Technical Report No. UCB/EECS-2009-1, January 1, 2009.
18. Golio, M., The RF and Microwave Handbook, CRC Press LLC, 2001.
19. Fakharzadeh, M., P. Mousavi, S. Safavi-Naeini, and S. H. Jamali, "The effects of imbalanced phase shifters loss on phased array gain," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 2008.
20. Chen, L., Y. C. Guo, X. W. Shi, and T. L. Zhang, "Overview on the phase conjugation techniques of the retrodirective array," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Article ID 564357, 2010.
21. Yang, C. and A.-X. Chen, "A direct conversion phase conjugation arithmetic for retrodirective antenna array system," 2011 4th IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, November 1–3, 2011.
22. Miyamoto, R. Y., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A reconfigurable active retrodirective/direct conversion receiver array for wireless sensor systems," IEEE Microwave Symposium Digest, 2001.
23. Leong, K. M. K. H., R. Y. Miyamoto, and T. Ito, "Ongoing retrodirective array research at UCLA," Technical Report of IEICE, SPS2002-08, 2003.
24. Goshi, D. S., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Recent advances in retrodirective system technology," Radio and Wireless Symposium, IEEE, 2006.