Differential signaling is used in digital circuitry and high speed communication links due to its lower level of radiation and lower susceptibility to interference. Signal skew, amplitude differences and unequal parasitic electric or magnetic coupling to nearby structures can lead to common-mode signals being present on differential communication links which can result in unwanted electromagnetic interference and crosstalk. Common-mode filtering is often employed to suppress common-mode signal propagation in order to mitigate against these negative effects. In this paper broadside coupled differential coplanar waveguides are used which provide effective differential transmission from dc through 40 GHz. Simulation and measurement show that dipole-like common-mode filtering elements placed between the broadside coupled traces offer common-mode suppression of more than 10 dB over bandwidths greater than 5 GHz. A design equation is developed which can be used to estimate filtering frequencies from filter dimensions through 30 GHz. Filters can be cascaded to broaden filtering around a single frequency to filter at multiple frequencies. Simulation based registration studies were conducted which show stable filtering performance in the presence of layer-to-layer misregistration up to 0.254 mm.
2. Liu, W.-T., C.-H. Tsai, T.-W. Han, and T.-L. Wu, "An embedded common-mode suppression filter for GHz differential signals using periodic defect ground plane," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, 248-250, May 2008.
3. Weng, T.-W., C.-H. Tsai, C.-H. Chen, D.-H. Han, and T.-L. Wu, "Synthesis model and design of a Common-Mode Bandstop Filter (CM-BSF) with an all-pass characteristic for high-speed differential signals," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 62, 1647-1656, Aug. 2014.
4. Liu, Q., G. Li, V. Khilkevich, and D. Pommerenke, "Common-mode filters with interdigital fingers for harmonics suppression and lossy materials for broadband suppression," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 57, 1740-1743, Dec. 2015.
5. Martın, F., J. Naqui, A. Fern´andez-Prieto, P. Velez, J. Bonache, J. Martel, and F. Medina, "The beauty of symmetry," IEEE Microw. Mag., 42-55, Jan./Feb. 2017.
6. De Paulis, F., L. Raimondo, S. Connor, B. Archambeault, and A. Orlandi, "Design of a commonmode filter by using planar electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 33, 994-1002, Nov. 2010.
7. De Paulis, F., M. Cracraft, D. Di Febo, M. H. Nisanci, S. Connor, B. Archambeault, and A. Orlandi, "EBG-based common-mode microstrip and stripline filter design: Experimental investigation of performances and crosstalk," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 57, 996-1004, Oct. 2015.
8. Kodama, C., C. O’Daniel, J. Cook, F. de Paulis, M. Cracraft, S. Connor, A. Orlandi, and E. Wheeler, "Mitigating the threat of crosstalk and unwanted radiation when using electromagnetic bandgap structures to suppress common mode signal propagation in PCB differential interconnects," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Electromagn. Compat., 622-627, Dresden, Germany, Aug. 2015.
9. Cracraft, M. and S. Connor, "Mode-selective periodic transmission line filters to reduce radiated common-mode emissions," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Electromagn. Compat., 216-221, Ottawa, Canada, Jul. 2016.
10. Naqui, J., A. Fernandez-Prieto, M. Duran-Sindreu, F. Mesa, J. Martel, F. Medina, and F. Martın, "Common-mode suppression in microstrip differential lines by means of complementary split ring resonators: Theory and applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 60, 3023-3034, Oct. 2012.
11. Velez, P., J. Naqui, A. Fernandez-Prieto, M. Duran-Sindreu, J. Bonache, J. Martel, F. Medina, and F. Martın, "Differential bandpass filter with commo-mode suppression based on open split ring resonators and open complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, 22-24, Jan. 2013.
12. Sawyer, E., C. Kodama, C. O’Daniel, J. Cook, and E. Wheeler, "Using common-mode filtering structures with microstrip differential lines in a multilayer printed circuit board environment," IEEE European Microw. Conf., 1091-1094, Rome, Italy, Oct. 2014.
13. He, Y., Z. Silva, Z. Bergstedt, J. Faia, S. Van Hoosier, S. G. Kang, G. Shaffer, E. Wheeler, and M. Cracraft, "Common-mode filtering in multilayer printed circuit boards," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Electromagn. Compat., 288-292, Washington, DC, USA, Aug. 2017.
14. Bedair, S. S. and I. Wolff, "Fast and accurate analytic formulas for calculating the parameters of a general broadside-coupled coplanar waveguide for (M)MIC application," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 37, 843-850, May 1989.
15. Kretch, B. and R. Collin, "Microstrip dispersion including anisotropic substrates," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 35, 710-718, Aug. 1987.
16., , Keysight Technologies, Santa Rosa, CA, USA. Auto Fixture Removal (AFR), (2015) [Online], Available: http://na.support.keysight.com/plts/help/WebHelp/VNACalAndMeas/Auto Fixture Removal.htm, Accessed on: Apr. 20, 2018.
17., , Keysight Technologies, Santa Rosa, CA, USA. Auto Fixture Removal (AFR), (2014) [Online], Available: http://na.support.keysight.com/vna/help/latest/S3 Cals/Auto Fixture Removal.htm,Accessed on: Apr. 20, 2018.
18. Shan, L., Y. Kwark, C. Baks, and M. Ritter, "Layer misregistration in PCB and its effects on signal propagation," Proc. Electronic Components and Techn. Conf., 605-611, Las Vegas, NV, USA, Jun. 2010.
19. Fesharaki, F., T. Djerafi, M. Chaker, and K. Wu, "Low-loss and low-dispersion transmission line over DC-to-THz spectrum," IEEE Trans. on Terahertz Science and Tech., Vol. 6, 611-618, Jul. 2016.