This paper presents a reconfigurable, wide-beam antenna with a modular main radiator for base station applications. The addition of new spectrum and the path to 5G create unique antenna requirements in terms of patterns and impedance matching capabilities. The antenna in this paper exhibits a wide azimuth beamwidth up to approximately 180o, and implements a modular approach where the antenna can be recongured for impedance matching requirements. Two congurations of the wide-beam antenna are presented; the rst conguration covers the 1.7-2.7 GHz band for 3G/4G/LTE applications where multiple wireless carriers would use the same antenna as a neutral site. This antenna provides wide-beam operation and a 10-dB return loss from approximately 1.64-2.76 GHz. The measured return loss over the 1.7-2.7 GHz band is better than 13 dB. A second conguration of the antenna is tuned for performance from 1.9-2.4 GHz where measured return loss better than 19 dB is achieved in this band. Simulated and measured return losses and patterns are presented that show very good agreement between simulation and measurement, and thorough parametric pattern analysis is presented for the baseline antenna configuration.
2. Nasimuddin, Y., S. Anjani, and A. Alphones, "A wide-beam circularly polarized asymmetricmicrostrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, 3764-3768, Aug. 2015.
3. Ding, K., Y. Wang, and X. Xiong, "A novel wide-beam circularly polarized antenna for sdars applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 811-813, 2012.
4. Wen, Y., B. Wang, and X. Ding, "Wide-beam circularly polarized microstrip magnetic-electric dipole antenna for wide-angle scanning phased array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 428-431, 2017.
5. Pan, Z., W. Lin, and Q. Chu, "Compact wide-beam circularly-polarized microstrip antenna with a parasitic ring for cnss application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 2847-2850, May 2014.
6. Ta, S. X. and I. Park, "Crossed dipole loaded with magneto-electric dipole for wideband and widebeam circularly polarized radiation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 358-361, 2015.
7. Sun, L., B.-H. Sun, H. Wu, J. Yuan, and W. Tang, "Broadband, wide beam circularly polarized antenna with a novel matching structure for satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 59, 159-166, 2015.
8. Yang, G., J. Li, S. G. Zhou, and Y. Qi, "A wide-angle e-plane scanning linear array antenna with wide beam elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2923-2926, 2017.
9. Wen, Y., B. Wang, and X. Ding, "Wide-beam siw-slot antenna for wide-angle scanning phased array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1638-1641, 2016.
10. Cheng, Y., X. Ding, W. Shao, M. Yu, and B. Wang, "2-d planar wide-angle scanning-phased array based on wide-beam elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 876-879, 2017.
11. Kedar, A. and K. Beenamole, "Wide beam tapered slot antenna for wide angle scanning phased array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 235-251, 2011.
12. Bai, Y.-Y., S. Xiao, M.-C. Tang, Z.-F. Ding, and B.-Z. Wang, "Wide-angle scanning phased array with pattern reconfigurable elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 11, 4071-4076, 2011.
13. Eldek, A. A., "Design of double dipole antenna with enhanced usable bandwidth for wideband phased array applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-5, 2006.
14. Wang, J., L. Zhou, and W. Chen, "A novel wide beam UWB antenna," 2010 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 961-964, May 2010.
15. He, Y., W. Wang, H. Yang, and X. Du, "Improved design of a broadband dielectric resonator antenna with wide beam," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2018, 7, 2018.
16. Wang, R., B.-Z. Wang, C. Hu, C. Gong, and X. Ding, "Low-profile on-board antenna with a broad beam based on three-current model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 156, 13-24, 2016.
17. Qi, Z., J. Kuai, Y. Zhou, and W. Hong, "A wide beam, dual polarization and high gain antenna for WCDMA base station application," Microwave Conference Proceedings, 2005. APMC 2005. Asia-Pacific Conference Proceedings, Vol. 4, 3, IEEE, 2005.
18. Nakano, H., Y. Ogino, and J. Yamauchi, "Bent two-leaf antenna radiating a tilted, linearly polarized, wide beam," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3721-3725, 2010.
19. Gao, M., B. Wang, Y. Li, and B. Tian, "A new pattern reconfigurable loop antenna with wide beam width," 2018 Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), 1-3, Jul. 2018.
20. Gong, L., K. Y. Chan, and R. Ramer, "A reconfigurable spiral antenna with wide beam coverage," 2013 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 206-207, Jul. 2013.
21. Huang, P., Q. Guo, Z.-Y. Zhang, Y. Li, and G. Fu, "Design of a wideband sleeve antenna with symmetrical ridges," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 137-143, 2015.
22. Li, Y., Z.-Y. Zhang, Q.-Q. Liu, Y.-X. Zhang, and G. Fu, "A novel wideband sleeve antenna with capacitive annulus for wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 52, 1-6, 2014.
23. Shehan, J. W. and R. S. Adams, "Sleeve monopole antenna with integrated filter for base station applications," 2017 USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting (Joint with AP-S Symposium), 11-12, Jul. 2017.
24. Dixon, P., "Cavity-resonance dampening," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 6, 74-84, Jun. 2005.
25. BASTA, "Recommendation on base station antenna standards,", White Paper — BASTA, Feb. 2017.