In this communication, a novel design of a hybrid open slot antenna is investigated and experimentally verified. The proposed structure comprises a slotted tuning stub, a proximity fed parasitic element, and slotted ground plane. Tuning and overlapping of best matching frequencies fr1, fr2, fr3, fr4, fr5, fr6, and fr7 are accomplished by varying the dimension of the parasitic element and elliptical slot which is the part of the elliptical slot. The experimental results reveal that this antenna covers the fractional bandwidth (BW(%) = 200 * (fh - fl)/(fh + fl)) of 139.5% from 0.98 GHz to 5.5 GHz for |S11|<-10 dB which is suitable for GSM 1800, WiMAX, PCS, and ITM-2000. After the analysis of current distribution, mathematical equations are developed for frequencies 1.04, 1.52, 3.06, 3.67, and 4.58 GHz. The structural analysis is also carried out for optimization and to know the electromagnetic behaviour of the antenna. Asymmetric radiation patterns are found at resonating frequencies due to open slot geometry.
2. Wang, C. J. and W. B. Tsai, "Microstrip open-slot antenna with broadband circular polarization and impedance bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, 4095-4098, 2016.
3. Chen, W. S. and K. Y. Ku, "Bandwidth enhancement of open slot antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 438-439, 2008.
4. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Compact broadband slotted rectangular microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1410-1413, 2009.
5. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Analysis of broadband variations of U-slot cut rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 57, 181-193, 2015.
6. Tang, M. C., R. W. Ziolkowski, and S. Xiao, "Compact hyper band printed slot antenna with stable radiation properties," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 6, 2962-2969, Jun. 2014.
7. Wang, C. J. and C. M. Lin, "A CPW-fed open-slot antenna for multiple wireless communication systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 620-623, 2012.
8. Deng, J. Y., T. Q. Fan, Y. Zhang, X. Wen, G. Q. Liu, and L. X. Guo, "An open slot antenna with bandwidth extension for WLAN/UWB applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-7, 2015.
9. Al-Azza, A. A., F. J. Harackiewicz, and H. R. Gorla, "Very compact open-slot antenna for wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 51, 73-78, 2015.
10. Song, K., Y.-Z. Yin, B. Chen, S.-T. Fan, and F. Gao, "Bandwidth enhancement design of compact UWB step-slot antenna with rotated patch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 39-45, 2011.
11. Su, M., Y. A. Liu, S. L. Li, and C. P. Yu, "A compact open slot antenna for uwb applications with band-notched characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, 2001-2010, 2010.
12. Jan, J. Y., C. Y. Pan, K. Y. Chiu, and H. M. Chen, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly-polarized slot antenna with an open slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 1418-1422, 2013.
13. Chen, B., Y.-C. Jiao, F.-C. Ren, L. Zhang, and F.-S. Zhang, "Design of open slot antenna for bandwidth enhancement with a rectangular stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 109-115, 2011.
14. Liu, W. X., Y. Z. Yin, W. L. Xu, and S. L. Zuo, "Compact open-slot antenna with bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 850-853, 2011.
15. Song, K., Y. Z. Yin, X. B. Wu, and L. Zhang, "Bandwidth enhancement of open slot antenna with a T-shaped stub," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 390-393, 2010.