In this communication, a hybrid shaped wide slot antenna with hybrid parasitic element has been investigated which is fabricated on an FR-4 substrate (tanδ =0.02, εr=4.3). The mutual coupling (between the slot and tuning stub), tuning of resonating modes and bandwidth of the antenna are adjusted by changing the dimension of parasitic element and tuning stub. The measured fractional bandwidth of the proposed antenna is 146.82% for S11<-10 dB which covers the frequency span from 0.92 to 6 GHz. This antenna exhibits resonances at 1.094, 1.56, 2.073, 2.67 and 4.02 GHz. Surface current distribution has been investigated, and series of equation are deduced for resonating frequencies. Radiation characteristic exhibits an eight-shaped pattern at fundamental mode frequency whereas at frequencies 2.85 and 3.91 GHz a distorted pattern has been observed. For understanding the behavior of the antenna, structural parameters are varied in specific ranges.
2. Shinde, P. N. and J. P. Shinde, "Design of compact pentagonal slot antenna with bandwidth enhancement for multiband wireless applications," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, 1489-1494, 2015.
3. Jan, J. Y. and L. C. Wang, "Printed wideband rhombus slot antenna with a pair of parasitic strips for multiband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 1267-1270, 2009.
4. Dastranj, A. and H. Abiri, "Bandwidth enhancement of printed E-shaped slot antennas fed by CPW and microstrip line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 1402-1407, 2010.
5. Zhong, Y. W., G. M. Yang, and L. R. Zheng, "Planar circular patch with elliptical slot antenna for ultra wideband communication applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 325-328, 2015.
6. Al-Azza, A. A., F. J. Harackiewicz, and H. R. Gorla, "Very compact open-slot antenna for wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 51, 73-78, 2015.
7. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Analysis of broadband variations of U-slot cut rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 57, 181-193, 2015.
8. Yao, F. W., S. S. Zhong, W. Wang, and X. L. Liang, "Wideband slot antenna with a novel microstrip feed," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, 275-278, 2005.
9. Tiang, S. S., M. F. Ain, and M. Z. Abdullah, "Compact and wideband wide-slot antenna for microwave imaging system," IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference (RFM), 63-66, 2011.
10. Chen, W. L., G. M. Wang, and C. X. Zhang, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a fractal-shaped slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 2176-2179, 2009.
11. Chen, W. F., C. C. Tsai, and C. Y. Huang, "Compact wide-slot antenna for ultra-wideband communications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 892-893, 2008.
12. Li, P., J. Liang, and X. Chen, "Study of printed elliptical/circular slot antennas for ultra wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 1670-1675, 2006.
13. Abed, D., S. Redadaa, and H. Kimouche, "Printed ultra-wideband stepped-circular slot antenna with different tuning stubs," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, 846-855, 2013.
14. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Compact tapered-shape slot antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1190-1193, 2011.
15. Jan, J. Y. and J. W. Su, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed wide-slot antenna with a rotated slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2111-2114, 2005.
16. Rani, R. B. and S. K. Pandey, "A parasitic hexagonal patch antenna surrounded by same shaped slot for WLAN, UWB applications with notch at vanet frequency band," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 2996-3000, 2016.
17. Sung, Y., "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a parasitic center patch," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 1712-1716, 2012.