With the increasing number of mobile phone users, new services and mobile applications, the proliferation of radio antennas has raised concerns about human exposure to electromagnetic waves. This is now a challenging topic to many stakeholders such as local authorities, mobile phone operators, citizen and consumer groups. The study of the spatial and temporal variability of the actual downlink exposure is a very important requirement to find an accurate exposure assessment. In this paper, a concept of exposure areas linked to specific variations of the electric field is introduced. Then a measurement campaign of the temporal variability of the electric field in urban environment is presented, considering different technologies and mobile operators in the previously defined exposure areas. This study allowed to determine updated daytime and nighttime exposure profiles. A second result yielded the averaging duration needed to reach a stable evaluation of the electric field exposure levels, inside each exposure area and according to each technology.
2. Gaudaire, F., J. Caudeville, P. Demaret, J. Wiart, and C. Person, "Définition d'indicateurs pour la caractérisation de l’exposition radioélectrique,", https://www.anses.fr/fr/system/files/RSC121015-DossierParticipant.pdf, 2015.
3. Wiart, J., "Low EMF exposure networks,", http://www.lexnet.fr/, 2015.
4. Cicchetti, R., A. Faraone, and Q. Balzano, "A uniform asymptotic evaluation of the field radiated from collinear array antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 1, 89-102, 2003.
5. Noé, N., F. Gaudaire, and M. D. B. L. Ndiaye, "Estimating and reducing uncertainties in ray-tracing techniques for electromagnetic field exposure in urban areas," 2013 IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 652-655, Sept. 2013.
6. Combeau, P., L. Aveneau, R. Vauzelle, and Y. Pousset, "Efficient 2-D ray-tracing method for narrow and wideband channel characterisation in microcellular configurations," IEE Proccedings on Microwave Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 153, No. 6, 502-509, Dec. 2006.
7. Alwajeeh, T., P. Combeau, R. Vauzelle, and A. Bounceur, "A high-speed 2.5D ray-tracing propagation model for microcellular systems, application: Smart cities," IEEE EUropean Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), Paris, France, Jan. 2017.
8. Ndiaye, M. D. B. L., N. Noé, P. Combeau, Y. Pousset, and F. Gaudaire, "Analysis of electric field spatial variability in simulations of electromagnetic waves exposure to mobile telephony base stations," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), Lisbon, Portugal, Apr. 12–17, 2015.
9. Nikonova, K. V., "Status and implementation of russian hygienic radiofrequency standards," Electromagnetic Fields: Biologic Effects and Hygienic Standardization, 477-83, WHO/SDE/OEH/99.5, World Health Organization, Geneva, 1999.
10. COPIC, "Diminution de l'exposition aux ondes électromagnétiques émises par les antennes relais de téléphonie mobile," Technical Report, Le ministère de la santé, avec le concours du ministère du développement durable et du secrétariat d'état chargé de la prospective et du développement de l'économie numérique, 2013.
11. Huang, Y., A. Krayni, A. Hadjem, J. Wiart, C. Person, and N. Varsier, "Comparison of the average global exposure of a population induced by a macro 3G network in urban, suburban and rural areas," Radio Science Conference (URSI AT-RASC), 2015 1st URSI Atlantic, 1-1, May 2015.
12. 3GPP, "Ts 45.002: 3rd generation partnership project; technical specification group radio access network; GSM/edge multiplexing and multiple access on the radio path (release 4)," Technical Report, 3GPP, 2000.
13. 3GPP, "Ts 25.101/102: 3rd generation partnership project; technical specification group radio access network; User equipment radio transmission and reception (release 4)," Technical Report, 3GPP, 2001.
14. 3GPP, "Ts 36.212: 3rd generation partnership project; evolved universal terrestrial radio access (E-UTRA); Multiplexing and channel coding (release 8)," Technical Report, 3GPP, 2006.
15. Conil, E., Y. Corre, N. Varsier, A. Hadjem, G. Vermeeren, W. Joseph, S. Aerts, D. Plets, L. Martens, L. M. Correia, and J. Wiart, "Exposure index of eu project lexnet: principles and simulation-based computation," Proceedings of the 8th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 3029-3032, IEEE, 2014.