Desire for a broadband, high gain, unidirectional and low cost antenna in the field of communications is everlasting. In this paper, a novel broadband high gain antenna is presented using a suspended cylinder and a ground connected cylinder geometry. The bandwidth of the proposed antenna is enhanced by shorting these two cylinders with a pin in the direction orthogonal to the plane of coaxial probe. This low profile antenna structure is simple and easy to fabricate. The cylinders, shorting pin and ground plane are fabricated by a copper sheet of thickness 0.4 mm. Shorting pin and SMA connector provide mechanical support to the suspended cylinder. Simulations are done to analyze the radiation performance of the antenna. Prototype of the antenna is fabricated, and the measured results show good agreement with the simulated ones to confirm the enhanced bandwidth offered by the proposed antenna. We achieve impedance bandwidth of 63% (2.6-5 GHz) with the peak broadside gain of 9.87 dB. The bandwidth of the proposed antenna can be tuned by changing the radius of the shorting pin. The designed antenna possesses broadband high gain with stable broadside unidirectional radiation pattern which is suitable for Base station antenna such as WiMax (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) and LTE (Long Term Evolution). The metallic antenna has high power handling capacity as compared to microstrip and dielectric antennas.Therefore, this antenna can also be used for high power transfer application.
2. Prasad, C. S. and A. Biswas, "Planar excitation of dielectric waveguide antenna for broadband and high-gain application," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1209-1212, 2017.
3. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., 811, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2011.
4. Baheti, H., D. Kumar Pathak, and U. K. Kommuri, "Broadband and high gain low profile(thin) capacitive-coupled microstrip antennas for wireless applications," Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON), 1-4, December 2015.
5. Ozden, O., M. Karaaslan, E. Unal, and D Kapusuz, "Multistrip monopole antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference (SIU), 1-4, 2012.
6. Liang, M., J. Wu, X. Yu, and H. Xin, "3D printing technology for RF and THz antennas," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 536-537, Japan, October 2016.
7. Garcia, C. R., R. C. Rumpf, H. H. Tsang, and J. H. Barton, "Effects of extreme surface roughness on 3D printed horn antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 12, 734-736, June 2013.
8. Pattanayak, A., S. Roy, G. Rana, S. P. Duttagupta, V. G. Achanta, and S. S. Prabhu, "Study of plasmon hybridization of a loop Yagi-Uda absorber," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, 16961, 2017.
9. Criollo, E. H. and C. I. Paez, "Improved broadband double ridged horn antenna without split radiation pattern," IEEE Latin America Transactions, Vol. 14, No. 3, 1156-1161, March 2016.
10. Lim, T. H., J.-E. Park, and H. Choo, "Design of the Vivaldi-fed hybrid horn antenna for low frequency gain enhancement," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 1, 438-443, January 2018.
11. Tianang, E. G., M. A. Elmansouri, and D. S. Filipovic, "Ultra-wideband lossless cavity-backed Vivaldi antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 1, 115-124, January 2018.
12. Lu, W.-J., G.-M. Liu, K. F. Tong, and H.-B. Zhu, "Dual-band loop-dipole composite unidirectional antenna for broadband wireless communication system," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2860-2866, May 2014.
13. Gupta, R. D. and M. S. Parihar, "Differentially fed wideband rectangular DRA with high gain using short horn," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 16, 1804-1807, 2017.
14. Liu, L., S. Lin, A. Denisov, D. Liang, Y. Cao, and S. Tian, "A broadband and high gain yagi antenna with complex parabolic boundary reflector," 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 1785-1786, 2017.
15. Zhang, H.-Y., F.-S. Zhang, and F. Zhang, "A novel high-gain cavity slot antenna based on polarization twist reflector for high power microwave application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 76, 23-31, 2017.
16. Shah, S. I. H., D. Lee, M. M. Tentzeris, and S. Lim, "A novel high-gain tetrahedron origami," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propgation Letters, Vol. 16, 848-851, 2017.
17. Kim, D. and E. Kim, "A high-gain wideband antenna with frequency selective side reflectors operating in an anti-resonant mode," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 14, 442-445, 2015.
18. Yeo, J. and J.-I. Lee, "Bandwidth enhancement of double-dipole Quasi-Yagi antenna using stepped slot line structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 694-697, 2016.
19. Jiang, Z. H., Q. Wu, D. E. Brocker, P. E. Sieber, and D. H. Werner, "A low-profile high-gain substrate-integrated waveguide slot antenna enabled by an ultrathin anisotropic zero-index metamaterial coating," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 3, 1173-1184, March 2014.
20. Werner, P. L., Z. Bayraktar, B. Rybicki, D. H. Werner, K. J. Schlager, and D. Linden, "Stub-loaded long-wire monopoles optimized for high gain performance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 639-644, March 2008.
21. Karaaslan, M., E. Unal, E. Tetik, K. Delihacıoglu, F. karadag, and F. Dincer, "Low profile radiation enhancement with novel electromagnetic band gap structure," IET Microwave, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, 215-221, January 2013.
22. Oh, K.-H. and J.-I. Song, "Investigation of surface-wave reduction in UC-PBG patch antenna by using a transient electrooptic near-field mapping technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 12, 3602-3607, December 2006.
23. Dincer, F., M. Karaaslan, M. Bakır, O. Akgol, E. Unal, K. Delihacioglu, and C. Sabah, "Increasing bandwidth in antenna applications By using chiral metamaterials," IEEE Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference (SIU), 316-318, 2015.
24. Ozturk, M., U. K. Sevim, O. Akgol, E. Unal, and M. Karaaslan, "Determination of physical properties of concrete by using microwave nondistructive technique," ACES Journal, Vol. 33, No. 3, March 2018.