This paper proves that the use of conventional diagnostic methods of rotor crack and local demagnetization based on the harmonic analysis of the output voltage or counter-electromotive force is effective only with a certain ratio of the number of slots and poles. This statement was proved experimentally. The diagnostic method of the rotor cracks and local demagnetization which is universal for all types of windings and the number of slots of 2-pole synchronous electric machines with permanent magnets is proposed. The mathematical apparatus for the implementation of the proposed method is developed and verified with the help of FEM and experimental studies. All the experimental studies have been carried out for various rotor magnetic systems and a different number of stator slots.
2. Gieras, J. F., "High speed machines," Advancements in Electric Machines (Power Systems), 81-113, 2008.
3. Ganev, E., "Selecting the best electric machines for electrical power-generation systems: High-performance solutions for aerospace More electric architectures," IEEE Electrification Magazine, Vol. 2, No. 3, 13-22, Dec. 2014.
4. Liu, K., Q. Zhang, J. Chen, Z. Q. Zhu, and J. Zhang, "Online multi-parameter estimation of non-salient pole PM synchronous machines with temperature variation tracking," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1776-1788, May 2011.
5. Liu, K. and Z. Q. Zhu, "Online estimation of rotor flux linkage and voltage source inverter nonlinearity in permanent magnet synchronous machine drives," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 29, No. 1, 418-427, Jan. 2014.
6. Vinson, G., M. Combacau, T. Prado, and P. Ribot, "Permanent magnets synchronous machines fault detection and identification," IECON 2012 --- 38th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 3925-3930, Oct. 2012.
7. Haylock, J. A., B. C. Mecrow, A. G. Jack, and D. J. Atkinson, "Operation of fault tolerant machines with winding failures," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 14, No. 4, 1490-1495, 1999.
8. Mecrow, B. C., A. G. Jack, J. A. Haylock, and J. Coles, "Fault-tolerant permanent magnet machine drives," IEE Proceedings --- Electric Power Applications, Vol. 143, No. 6, 437-442, 1996.
9. Mitcham, A. J., G. Antonopoulos, and J. J. A. Cullen, "Implications of shorted turn faults in bar wound PM machines," IEE Proceedings --- Electric Power Applications, Vol. 151, No. 6, 651-657, 2004.
10. Liu, K., Z. Q. Zhu, and D. A. Stone, "Parameter estimation for condition monitoring of PMSM stator winding and rotor permanent magnets," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 12, 5902-5913, Dec. 2013.
11. Jabbar, M. A., J. Dong, and Z. Liu, "Determination of machine parameters for internal permanent magnet synchronous motors," Second International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives, Vol. 2, 805-810, 2004.
12. Underwood, S. and I. Husain, "Online parameter estimation and adaptive control of permanentmagnet synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 7, 2435-2443, Jul. 2010.
13. Hamida, M. A., J. D. Leon, A. Glumineau, and R. Boisliveau, "An adaptive interconnected observer for sensorless control of PM synchronous motors with online parameter identification," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 2, 739-748, Feb. 2013.
14. Liu, K. and Z. Q. Zhu, "Position-offset-based parameter estimation using the adaline NN for condition monitoring of permanent-magnet synchronous machines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 4, 2372-2383, Apr. 2015.
15. Ebrahimi, B. M., J. Faiz, and M. J. Roshtkhari, "Static-, dynamic- and mixed-eccentricity fault diagnoses in permanent-magnet synchronous motors," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 11, 4727-4739, Nov. 2009.
16. Ruiz, J. R., J. A. Rosero, A. G. Espinosa, and L. Romeral, "Detection of demagnetization faults in permanent-magnet synchronous motors under nonstationary condition," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 7, 2961-2969, Jul. 2009.
17. Uresty, J. C., J. R. Riba, and L. Romeral, "A back-emf based method to detect magnet failures in PMSMs," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 49, No. 1, 591-598, Jan. 2013.
18. Leboeuf, N., T. Boileau, B. Nahid-Mobarakeh, G. Clerc, and F. Meibbody Tabar, "Real-time detection of interturn faults in PM drives using back-EMF estimation and residual analysis," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 47, No. 6, 2402-2412, Nov.-Dec. 2011.
19. Borisavljevic, A., Limits, Modeling and Design of High-speed Permanent Magnet Machines, 218, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2013.
20. Yakupov, A. M., F. R. Ismagilov, I. H. Khayrullin, and V. E. Vavilov, "Method of designing high-speed generators for the biogas plant," International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, Vol. 6, No. 2, 447-454, 2016.
21. Uzhegov, N., E. Kurvinen, J. Nerg, J. T. Sopanen, and S. Shirinskii, "Multidisciplinary design process of a 6-slot 2-pole high-speed permanent-magnet synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, No. 2, Feb. 2016.
22. Ismagilov, F. R., V. E. Vavilov, and R. D. Karimov, "Improving the efficiency of electrical high-RPM generators with permanent magnets and tooth winding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 63, 93-105, 2018.
23. Ismagilov, F. R., V. Y. Vavilov, A. H. Miniyarov, A. M. Veselov, and V. V. Ayguzina, "Design, optimization and initial testing of a high-speed 5-kw permanent magnet generator for aerospace application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 79, 225-240, 2017.
24. Ismagilov, F. R., V. E. Vavilov, D. V. Gusakov, and V. V. Ayguzina, "Eddy currents in the rotor shroud and permanent magnets of high-speed electric machines," International Review of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 6, Dec. 2017.
25. Ledovsky, A. N., Electric Machines with High-coercivity Permanent Magnets, 169, Energoatomizdat, Moscow, 1985.