A novel broadband ±45° dual-polarized magneto-electric (ME) dipole antenna is proposed for 2G/3G/LTE/5G (3.3-3.6 GHz)/WiMAX applications. The proposed antenna has Γ-shaped feeding strips to impart a wide impedance bandwidth for its special structure. Stable antenna gain and radiation pattern are realized by using a rectangular box-shaped reflector instead of planar one. The antenna is fabricated and measured. The measured results show that a common impedance bandwidth is 83% with standing-wave ratio (SWR) ≤ 1.5 from 1.59 to 3.83 GHz and port-to-port isolation larger than 25 dB within the bandwidth. The measured antenna gains vary from 8 to 10.8 dBi and from 8 to 10.6 dBi for port 1 and port 2, respectively. The antenna has nearly symmetrical radiation patterns with low back lobe radiation both in horizontal and vertical planes, and broadside radiation patterns with narrow beam can also be obtained. The proposed antenna can be used for multiband base stations in next generation communication systems.
2. Turkmani, A. M. D., A. A. Arowojolu, P. A. Jefford, and C. J. Kellett, "An experimental evaluation of the performance of two-branch space and polarization diversity schemes at 1800 MHz," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, Vol. 44, No. 2, 318-326, May 1995.
3. Luk, K. M. and H. Wong, "A new wideband unidirectional antenna element," Int. J. Microw. Opt. Technol., Vol. 1, 35-44, Jun. 2006.
4. Zhang, J. R. and L. Z. Song, "Dual-polarized complementary structure antenna based on Babinet’s principle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 64, 29-36, 2016.
5. An, W. X., H. Wong, K.-L. Lau, S. F. Li, and Q. Xue, "Design of broadband dual-band dipole for base station antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1592-1595, Mar. 2012.
6. Luk, K. M. and B. Q. Wu, "The magneto-electric dipole --- A wideband antenna for base stations in mobile communications," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2297-2307, Jul. 2012.
7. He, K., S. X. Gong, and F. Gao, "A wideband dual-band magneto-electric dipole antenna with improved feeding structure," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1729-1732, 2014.
8. Siu, L., H.Wong, and K.M. Luk, "A dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole with dielectric loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 3, 616-623, Mar. 2009.
9. An, W. X., S. F. Li, W. J. Hong, F. Z. Han, and K. P. Chen, "Design of wideband dual-band dual-polarized dipole for base station antenna," Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, Vol. 19, No. 1, 22-28, Jun. 2012.
10. Wu, B. Q. and K. M. Luk, "A broadband dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna with simple feeds," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 60-63, 2009.
11. Xue, Q., S. W. Liao, and J. H. Xu, "A differentially-driven dual-polarized magneto-electric dipole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 425-430, Jan. 2013.
12. Li, M. J. and K. M. Luk, "Wideband magneto-electric dipole antennas with dual polarization and circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 1, 110-119, Feb. 2015.
13. Yang, L., Z. Weng, and C. Zhang, "A dual-wideband dual-polarized directional magneto-electric dipole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1128-1133, 2017.
14. Wen, D., D. Zheng, and Q. X. Chu, "A wideband differentially-fed dual-polarized antenna with stable radiation pattern for base stations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 5, 2248-2255, 2017.
15. Clavin, A., "A new antenna feed having equal E- and H-plane patterns," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 3, 113-119, Jul. 1954.
16. Chu, Q. X., D.-L. Wen, and Y. Luo, "A broadband ±45◦ dual-polarized antenna with Y-shaped feeding lines," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 2, 483-490, Feb. 2015.