In this paper, a novel miniaturized circularly polarized (CP) antenna is proposed for use in B3 band of Compass Navigation Satellite System (CNSS). The primary radiator is a hexagon patch with four bending strips. A shorting pin is loaded with each strip to miniaturize the dimension of the proposed antenna, which achieves a small electrical size of 0.11λ×0.11λ×0.068λ (λ being the wave-length in free space at 1.268 GHz). In order to improve the bandwidth, Y-shaped coupled patches and bending-strips, which act as reactive loading are coupled to an octagon patch. Four coupled bending-stubs with same turning directions of bending-strips, are sequentially placed at the edge of the octagon patch to enhance CP performance. Finally, a prototype of the antenna is implemented and measured. The experimental results reveal that the proposed antenna achieves impedance bandwidth (IBW) of 19.6% (1.175-1.430 GHz) for |S11|≤-10 dB and 3-dB axial-ratio bandwidths (ARBW) of 27.5% (1.000-1.320 GHz). The radiation efficiency is more than 75%, and the gain keeps above 1.98 dBic over the B3 band. Thus, the proposed antenna can be a good candidate for the applications of CNSS.
2. Li, H., Y. X. Guo, and S. Q. Xiao, "Broadband circularly polarised implantable antenna for biomedical applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 7, 504-506, 2016.
3. Ramzan, M. and K. Topalli, "A miniaturized patch antenna by using a CSRR loading plane," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Article ID 495629, 2015.
4. Liu, C. R., Y. X. Guo, and S. Xiao, "Capacitively loaded circularly polarized implantable patch antenna for ISM band biomedical applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 8, 2407-2417, May 2014.
5. Zheng, K. K. and Q. X. Chu, "A small symmetric-slit shaped and annular slotted BeiDou antenna with stable phase center," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 1, 146-149, Jan. 2017.
6. Cho, Y. and H. Yoo, "Miniaturised dual-band implantable antenna for wireless biotelemetry," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 12, 1005-1007, Jun. 2016.
7. Chakraborty, U., S. K. Chowdhury, and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Frequency tuning and miniaturization of square microstrip antenna embedded with T-shaped defected ground structure," Microwave & Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 4, 869-872, Apr. 2013.
8. Prabhakar, H. V., et al., "Effect of various meandering slots in rectangular microstrip antenna ground plane for compact broadband operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 16, 848-850, Aug. 2007.
9. Podilchak, S. K., et al., "A compact circularly polarized antenna using an array of folded-shorted patches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 9, 4861-4867, Sep. 2013.
10. Podilchak, S. K., A. P. Murdoch, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact microstrip-based folded-shorted patches: PCB antennas for use on microsatellites," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, 88-95, Feb. 2017.
11. Kaufmann, T., D. C. Ranasinghe, M. Zhou, and C. Fumeaux, "Wearable quarter-wave folded microstrip antenna for passive UHF RFID applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Article ID 129839, 2013.
12. He, S. and J. Deng, "Compact and single-feed circularly polarized microstrip antenna with wide beamwidth and axial-ratio beamwidth," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 15, 1013-1015, 2017.
13. Hang, W., et al., "Virtually shorted patch antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1213-1216, 2010.
14. So, K. K., et al., "Miniaturized circularly polarized patch antenna with low back radiation for GPS satellite communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 12, 5934-5938, Dec. 2015.
15. Liu, X. L., Y.-Z. Yin, P. A. Liu, J. H. Wang, and B. Xu, "A CPW-fed dual band-notched UWB antenna with a pair of bended dual-L-shape parasitic branches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 623-634, 2013.
16. Liu, W.-C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-fed G-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007.
17. Wei, Y. Q., Y. Z. Yin, L. Xie, K. Song, and X. S. Ren, "A novel band-notched antenna with self-similar flame slot used for 2.4GHz WLAN and UWB application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 693-701, 2011.
18. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "High selectivity and controllability of a parallel-plate component with a filled rectangular ridge," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 497-511, 2011.
19. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On examining the influence of a thin dielectric strip posed across the diameter of a penetrable radiating cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 3, 203-214, 2008.
20. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Single-series solution to the radiation of loop antenna in the presence of a conducting sphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 277-294, 2007.
21. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Electromagnetic propagation into parallel-plate waveguide in the presence of a skew metallic surface," Electromagnetics, Vol. 31, No. 8, 593-605, 2011.