Due to the increase in the data rates for modern wireless communications and recent generation standards, the switched beam approach and multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) direct conversion transceiver (MIMO-DCT) have become promising techniques to satisfy these requirements. The combining of switched beam and MIMO-DCT through the use of multiple antenna elements has been investigated to overcome the high complexity and high spatial directivity of the conventional system. In this paper, a low cost miniaturized beam-switching array antenna with a MIMO-DCT system has been proposed, designed and analysed. The entire proposed system structure has two design stages. The first is the design of MIMO-DCT via the integration of microstrip antenna element, hybrid coupler, Wilkinson power divider and single-pole double-throw (SPDT) transmitter/receiver (T/R) switch. The second has the switched beam array antenna design using a Butler matrix feeding network and four distributed subarrays (DSs) of the MIMO-DCT. The entire proposed design structure components have been optimized using a commercial software to evaluate each component and meet the desired performance. The final proposed two-stage design has been fabricated, integrated, and the radiation characteristics have been demonstrated, using the Agilent FieldFox network analyser, to meet the requirements for LTE and wireless communication applications.
2. Madany, Y. M. and A. A. Salama, "Design and analysis of miniaturized integrated antenna with direct conversion transceiver for wireless communications applications," Inter. Conf. on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT’2012), 1-4, May 2012.
3. Madany, Y. M., N. E. H. Ismail, and H. A. Hassan, "High-isolation wideband single-pole double-throw (SPDT) transmitter/receiver (T/R) switch with PIN diode for wireless communication applications," IEEE Inter. Symp. on Ant. and Propag. (APS’2013), 1006-1007, July 2013.
4. Palomar, D. P., J. Cioffi, and M. Lagunas, "Joint Tx-Rx beam forming design for multicarrier MIMO channels, A unified framework for convex optimization," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2381-2401, 2003.
5. Yin, H., D. Gesbert, M. Filippou, and Y. Liu, "A coordinated approach to channel estimation in large-scale multiple-antenna systems," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 31, 264-273, 2013.
6. Sharawi, M. S., S. K. Podilchak, and K. Sarabandi, "Compact millimeter-wave switched-beam antenna arrays for short range communication," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 8, 1917-1921, August 2016.
7. Tiwari, N. and T. R. Rao, "A switched beam antenna array with Butler matrix network using substrate integrated waveguide technology for 60 GHz radio," ACES Journal, Vol. 31, No. 5, 599-602, May 2016.
8. Tiwari, N. and T. R. Rao, "A switched beam antenna array with Butler matrix network using substrate integrated waveguide technology for 60 GHz wireless communications," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, (AEU), Vol. 70, 850-856, 2016.
9. Erfani, E., E. Moldovan, and S. Tatu, "A 60-GHz multi-beam antenna array design by using MHMICs technology," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 8, 1844-1847, August 2016.
10. Shastrakar, A. and U. S. Sutar, "Design and simulation of microstrip Butler matrix elements operating at 2.4 GHz for wireless applications," International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol. 7, No. 5, 1528-1531, May 2016.
11. Suryana, J., A. Y. Pinangkis, and A. Nursyamsiah, "Design and implementation of 3-D multi-beam antenna and FMCW S-band radar for fire control system," Asian Research Publishing Network (ARPN) Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 11, No. 5, 3176-3183, March 2016.
12. Hirokawa, J. and D.-H. Kim, "Waveguide short-slot 2D-plane coupler for 2D beam-switching Butler matrix," The 3rd AWAP 2016, 30, January 27-29, 2016.
13. Kalam, S. V. and A. B. Rathi, "Optimum design of 4 × 4 symmetrically structured Butler matrix," International Journal of Scientific Research Engineering & Technology (IJSRET), Vol. 5, No. 1, 31-34, January 2016.
14. Karamzadeh, S. and M. Kartal, "Circularly polarized 1 × 4 square slot array antenna by utilizing compacted modified Butler matrix and branch line coupler," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 2, 146-153, Wiley Periodicals, Inc., February 2016.
15. Madany, Y. M., H. M. Elkamchouchi, and A. A. Salama, "Investigation and design of distributed subarray smart antenna system using 1 × 8 switched Butler matrix for phased-array radar applications," Inter. Conf. on High Speed Intelligent Communication (HSIC’2012), 279-282, May 2012.