An E-shaped printed monopole antenna with loaded resonant elements suitable for penta-band multi-input multi-output (MIMO) application is proposed. The simple E-shaped monopole antenna results in a single resonance, and by loading the vertical arm of the antenna with narrow slots and stubs, a multi-band antenna can be obtained. The slots so placed on the antenna create L-shaped resonance paths which are multiples of λg/4, and stubs resonate at λg/4. The antenna is designed for operation over the UMTS, WiMAX and WLAN frequencies 2.1, 2.5, 3.5, 5.2, 5.8 GHz. A two element array of such antennas with close spacing of λg/15 is suitable for MIMO application. The array has low mutual coupling, low envelope correlation, high efficiency and good radiation patterns over all five frequency bands. Simulation and measurement results are compared and discussed.
2. Forenza, A. and R. W. Heath, "Benefit of pattern diversity via two element array of circular patch antennas in indoor clustered MIMO channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 54, 943-954, 2006.
3. Mohammad-Ali-Nezhad, S., H. R. Hassani, and A. Foudazi, "A dual-band WLAN/UWB printed wide slot antenna for mimo/diversity applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 461-465, 2013.
4. Mallahzadeh, A. R., S. F. Seyyedrezaei, N. Ghahvehchian, S. Mohammad-Ali-Nezhad, and S. Mallahzadeh, "Tri-band printed monopole antenna for WLAN and WiMAX MIMO systems," 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 548-551, 2011.
5. Yang, L., H. Xu, J. Fang, and T. Li, "Four-element dual-band MIMO antenna system for mobile phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 60, 47-56, 2015.
6. Khan, A. A., M. H. Jamaluddin, J. Nair, R. Khan, S. Aqeel, J. Saleem, and Owais, "Design of a dual-band MIMO dielectric resonator antenna with pattern diversity for WiMAX and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 50, 65-73, 2016.
7. Chen, S. and K.-M. Luk, "A dual-mode wideband MIMO cube antenna with magneto-electric dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 5951-5959, 2014.
8. Kumar, N. and U. K. Kommuri, "MIMO antenna mutual coupling reduction for WLAN using spiro meander line UC-EBG," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 80, 65-77, 2018.
9. Pan, B. C. and T. J. Cui, "Broadband decoupling network for dual-band microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, 5595-5598, 2017.
10. Arya, A. K., N. V. Anh, R. S. Aziz, B. Y. Park, and S. O. Park, "Dual polarized dual antennas for 1.7-2.1 GHz LTE base stations," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1427-1430, 2015.
11. Zhao, L., L. Liu, and Y.-M. Cai, "A MIMO antenna decoupling network composed of inverters and coupled split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 79, 175-183, 2017.
12. Liu, P., D. Sun, P. Wang, and P. Gao, "Design of a dual-band MIMO antenna with high isolation for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 74, 23-30, 2018.
13. Mohammad-Ali-Nezhad, S. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel tri-band E-shaped printed monopole antenna for MIMO application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propaga. Lett., Vol. 9, 576-579, 2010.
14. Foudazi, A., A. R. Mallahzadeh, and S. Mohammad-Ali-Nezhad, "A triple-band WLAN/WiMAX printed monopole antenna for MIMO applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, 1321-1325, 2012.
15. Fang, Q., D. Mi, and Y. Yin, "A tri-band MIMO antenna for WLAN/WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 75-80, 2015.
16. Karimian, R., H. Oraizi, S. Fakhte, and M. Farahani, "Novel F-shaped quad-band printed slot antenna for WLAN and WiMAX MIMO systems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 405-408, 2013.
17. Sarkar, D., A. Singh, K. Saurav, and K. V. Srivastava, "Four-element quad-band multiple-input-multiple-output antenna employing split-ring resonator and inter-digital capacitor," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, 1453-1460, 2015.
18. Sharawi, M. S., "Current misuses and future prospects for printed multiple-input, multiple-output antenna systems," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 59, 162-170, 2017.